4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read
Published on 11 Nov 2006 by lewiscarrollnut

1.0 out of 5 stars rambling
Published on 8 Mar 2005 by alan sykes

1.0 out of 5 stars rambling, 8 Mar 2005
I bought this book after reading Don't Drop the Coffin, which was fantastic. Bury My Heart in Bermondsey, however, fails to live up to its predecessor. It's a rambling sort of book and one I couldn't really get into, although I tried hard, having family in Bermondsey. Greg Watts' name is on Don't Drop the Coffin, so I assume he wrote it. This might explain why this book is so different. Mr Dyer is an excellent undertaker, but I think he should give writing a miss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 11 Nov 2006
lewiscarrollnut (london, - United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bury My Heart in Bermondsey: Memoir of a Funeral Director (Paperback)
This is readably written with some funny and thought provoking stories. Specially interesting if you know Bermondsey, where the author's hearses can often be seen driving around. (I don[t live there but I have relatives in Bermondsey so I visit it quite a lot.) I liked his generally upbeat attitude, treating death with respect and sympathy as well as seeing the funny side sometimes and it was rather inspiring to realise how much he wants to do his work to the very best of his ability. Don't be put off by the subject matter - this author has a really positive attitude and is full of human wisdom. Definitely a readable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars BURY MY HEART IN BERMONDSEY, 7 Nov 2005
VALERIE PARKER (LIVERPOOL UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
I have read this book and My overall comment is that it is absolutely brilliant. In fact I bought the first book Don't Drop The Coffin by Barry Albin Dyer and I really enjoyed both the series and the book.
He is a lovely man and I reckon he would have been a good author. I look forward to his new book Strong Shoulders.

5.0 out of 5 stars bury my heart in bermondsey, 15 Jun 2006
J. Murray "bermondsey girl" (gillingham kent) - See all my reviews
i have read all of barrys books and each one is just as good as the last having come from bermondsey all the family know barry personaly he also takes care of all our funerals and yes you can see a differance when you attend one not conducted by barry and his team he has said he will not be writing any more but lets hope his got the bug and can't stop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 8 Mar 2005
By A Customer
Sequels are rarely as good as the book they follow, and this proves the rule. Don't Drop the Coffin was a classic of its kind, full of insight, humour and dramatic incidents. The style of this book is ponderous and lumpy. In other words, it's badly written. One for the car boot sale.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 7 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This book was a real let down. I thoroughly enjoyed Don't Drop the Coffin, which gave me a real insight into undertaking. But this sequel is pretty dire and drab. It's more like a vanity publishing job than something from a leading publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 18 Mar 2014
if you want to restore your faith in humanity then read this book. I have loved all the books by Barry. A must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from the Bermondsey man!, 12 Dec 2013
Great and witty but also a serious book from Barry. As usual covers the humour which one must retain to survive within this vocation. Only need to say.....read the book and see for yourself the empathy and compassion in addition the useful information Barry covers for all.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit boring, 1 Aug 2014
Just more of the same from "Don't Drop The Coffin", the difference being DDTC was interesting this was more like Barry Albin Dyer saying "What a wonderful man I am"

Bury My Heart in Bermondsey: Memoir of a Funeral Director
Bury My Heart in Bermondsey: Memoir of a Funeral Director by Barry Albin Dyer (Paperback - 15 Jun 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01