Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 April 2001
Jackie Pullinger is one of the worlds 'nomad travellers' and 'undiscovered saints'.
This is a work which deserves wider 'worldwide recognition'.
Jackie felt a 'calling' and acted on it.
Chasing The Dragon is a work and testament to selfless commitment and human kindness towards others.
Jackies work was highlighted by the worlds media -with the BBC entering her world of Hong Kongs 'Walled City' in 1968.
Jackie found herself 'commissioned to work' 'in a den of all things unspoken of' to the outside world.
It is a grim tale of hardcore crime which would frighten mere mortals. Of Vice - drug abuse - extortion.
For a young British woman to enter into an environment that would test any human being - the success story that follows is gripping reading.
It is a story about changed lives - from the grip of Heroin addiction to freedom for those that Jackie encounters. Often her life is threatened yet by a 'greater power' than her own she survives.
Jackie faith leads others to walk away from their personal hells and to read their progress as the book unfolds is deeply moving.
Once you start to read this book - you will be helplessly compelled to read the book from cover to cover.
The Walled City in Hong Kong is no more - it has long gone - but the memories contained in this book will live with you forever if you have any thread of human compassion.
I would also highly recommend this book to those who are suffering from the nightmare of drug addiction.
May I also recommend it to Drug addiction Programme directors and for those who lead self help groups.
For the drug addicts - I would say to you there is hope - but you must believe .
Jackies work will help you see there is a way out.
But you must grasp the opportunity.
on 26 May 2008
I read this book as a 16 year old and found the account of Jackie Pullinger's work in Hong Kong exhilarating and inspiring. As a 17 year old, I had the opportunity to go out to work with her, together with two friends, all three of us keen to do something "different" before starting at University. I remember seeing the small, outlying islands of Hong Kong through the aircraft window as we began our descent and wondering whether what I had read in Chasing the Dragon would prove to be exaggerated, or simply false. What I discovered was not "simply" that heroin addicts were indeed routinely coming off the physical addiction of life-long heroin abuse painlessly when they prayed, and were prayed for, by former drug addicts and helpers from around the world, but that there, in Hong Kong, through Jackie and her team, there was a work that combined the "social gospel" of outreach to the poor, sick and hopeless, with a belief and trust in the miraculous intervention of God in people's lives. The hungry were fed, the sick were cared for, families were put back together and, yes, the miraculous took place. It became not only a life-changing experience for me, but a bench mark by which I have come to evaluate other Christian ministries.
on 6 September 2006
I found this inspirational when it first came out several years ago. It gave me confidence as a GP in working with people with drug addiction. Having heard Jackie Pullinger speak recently, I want to buy another copy to lend to people.
on 26 April 2000
If you want to see how God is working through the lives of His people today then this is the book for you. Prepare yourself to be amazed by God's awesome goodness and power.Read about the tangiable difference that Jesus has made in the lives of those who have come to trust in Him through the ministry of Jackie Pullinger in Hong Kong's infamous walled city. An encouraging and inspiring book
on 2 February 2000
Jackie Pullinger, a young English woman, trying to follow God's direction, finds herself in the centre of Hong Kong's underworld. What she discovers about herself, the society around her, and the spiritual resources available to her, forms the basis for an exiting, but also thought-provoking story.
on 21 February 2003
Awe struck!! I stand in awe of this book! Not only has Jackie actually lived out what most of us can hardly imagine, she along with Andrew Quickie have captured this wonder on 238 pages!!
The book say's it how it is. Real death, real life, real miricles. This book will take your imagination and faith further than ever! For anyone who has experianced the pain and devistation of addiction this will be light to your heart and releaf to your mind! There is an answer to addiction beyond doctors and our man made medicine. An everlasting answer. Read it! You won't be dissapointed!
(PS. If you enjoyed this book check out Dr Guy Chevreau's book, 'We Dance Because We Cannot Fly'. The miricles live on!)
on 7 February 2009
This book is like no other, it talks modestly of Jackie deciding against advice to travel to the other side of the world because she feels God is calling her. In her polite and naive manner she walks in to one of the most disgusting, frightening and lawless places on earth. She starts by trying to help the desperate and needy with total openness and sharing all she earns. Gradually she discovers that God can open doors for her and work miracles as she learns to let God do things his own way.
Her story will cause every Christian to re-evaluate how they prioritise their own lives and perhaps be inspired to be open to sharing with those with great needs. Buy this and read it, then lend it out and wait for a reaction!
on 5 March 2014
An astounding book, that reveals God honouring someone rejected by the church for missionary work, who followed her hearts desire.
It reveals her trials and tribulations, and the beauty of our Lord God who leads, supports, and goes before her.
This book is a must read. After the bible this is the most enlightening book I have read. I think I said that about another book. Many in the church think God has stopped working in our lives. I say to them think again. Warrning have your tssues ready, as the Lord reveals himself, as He breaks down unbreakable barriers. O the beauty of our Father, the Lord God of all, Who is always willing to give us all things, but how many are willing to receive.
on 16 July 2009
this is a wonderful story, all about a woman who offered her life over to God, and was led to Hongkong, where she met up with the most evil of people who where drug addicts, gamblers, and thugs, who would kill and steal without any concious.
she worked with God to repair these people and return them to normallity.
on 13 December 2010
This is by far the best Christianity story I have ever read. One of the things that made it so good was that I felt I could really relate to Pullingers "conversion". She is just a normal girl who is brought up a Christian, just like me. Her start on her spiritual journey made me feel like it could happen to any of us, it didn't take some dramatic conversion or miraculous story to get her started.
Another thing I liked about this book is that any doubt in my mind about the existence of God was totally eradicated from my mind after reading it. The amazing things that happen in this story just cannot be explained away. I have often felt rather sceptical about speaking in tongues, but after reading this book I felt so compelled to become closer to God. It really is an amazing book that I would recommend to anyone, Christian or non-Christian, but particularly those who are happily attending church week on week but have their doubts. I am not totally convinced that God exists, that Jesus is His son and that He is the only one who can save us. A truly amazing book.