Format: PaperbackChange

on 9 April 2010
I was 7 years old (im 13 now) when i received this book, at the time i was having problems with bullies and it was very difficult, i got so worried i began to lose some of my hair. I was given this book by my mum and i read it a lot, it didn't make a substantial impact at the time, nor did it change the bullies but i started to tell my parents when i got worried and my hair stopped falling out. When i think back i can remember this book and it really did help.
88 comments331 of 334 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2001
"The Huge Bag of Worries" relates the simple story of a little girl who finds she is carrying an ever growing 'bag of worries'. She tries to think of ways to reduce her load but finds that everyone she wants to talk to about her 'bag' has so many of their own worries that she doesn't want to burden them further. Finally her Grandmother notices her growing 'bag of worries' and they work through her worries together. The girl finds there are lots of different ways of dealing with or sharing worries and feels a whole lot better once her 'bag of worries' has been cleared out.
Our family found this a useful aid in dealing with the stresses suffered by our 6 year old daughter who is hard of hearing. She has more on her plate than most and the story gave us very useful code for addressing her concerns. We continue to use the 'bag of worries' terminology and find that now we can go straight to the problem rather than the old guessing game we used to use.
11 comment296 of 303 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2012
I read this book with my children (3 and 8) and they enjoyed the story and probably didn't realise that they were taking notice of the message about dealing with worries. Within a week of reading this my son has been happy to talk about his worries, and has been settling better at night.

The book in itself is bright and nicely illustrated.
on 22 March 2009
This is an excellent resource for those working with anxious children. The children love the story and the beautifully bright illustrations are sure to engage even the most reticent child.
0Comment24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2008
Excellent. This book says what I have struggled to explain to her during a very difficult time in her life. Well deserving of the 5*'s!
0Comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 May 2012
This book, is the second, book i have had, after sharing the first with so many other mom`s from school, it finally ended up as paper mess!, The last of my four children, loves it he can relate to the story, never tires of listening and feels much better he is the same as everyone else, a must for all children.
on 4 May 2012
I'm not sure what the intended age range for this book is, but it didn't seem appropriate for my four year old. The metaphor of having little monsters in a bag following you was just too confusing. I don't want to add to her worries by making her think there are monsters following her around! She is still at an age where she takes things quite literally. Probably a good book for ages 6 to 9, maybe older.
22 comments29 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2009
Used this in a SEAL group with Y3 - 6. Also in assembly at school. the feedback from other teachers was great with children sending me their worries to get rid of in my 'bag'. Some of them we were able to 'pick up' and deal with in school. Lovely book and well worth the money!
0Comment32 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 November 2014
This is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Someone at my daughters school recommended it and Im so glad I got it. I strongly recommend this book for anyone who's struggling to help their children with all their worries. She is about to turn eight and I have a feeling we will be reading this for many years to come.
on 24 November 2007
I asked our oldest son, who had a huge bag of worries, to read this to his younger siblings. Although it is not aimed at his age he was able to hear and respond to the clear and simple message which applies to any age. It has really helped.
11 comment47 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse