4.0 out of 5 stars My Own Experience With 'The Huge Bag Of Worries'
Published on 9 April 2010 by C. scullion

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for toddlers
I'm not sure what the intended age range for this book is, but it didn't seem appropriate for my four year old. The metaphor of having little monsters in a bag following you was just too confusing. I don't want to add to her worries by making her think there are monsters following her around! She is still at an age where she takes things quite literally. Probably a...
Published on 4 May 2012 by Barb Fillington

4.0 out of 5 stars My Own Experience With 'The Huge Bag Of Worries', 9 April 2010
C. scullion - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Huge Bag of Worries: The Huge Bag of Worries (Paperback)
I was 7 years old (im 13 now) when i received this book, at the time i was having problems with bullies and it was very difficult, i got so worried i began to lose some of my hair. I was given this book by my mum and i read it a lot, it didn't make a substantial impact at the time, nor did it change the bullies but i started to tell my parents when i got worried and my hair stopped falling out. When i think back i can remember this book and it really did help.

5.0 out of 5 stars A springboard for talking over a child's hidden worries, 6 Sep 2001
By A Customer
"The Huge Bag of Worries" relates the simple story of a little girl who finds she is carrying an ever growing 'bag of worries'. She tries to think of ways to reduce her load but finds that everyone she wants to talk to about her 'bag' has so many of their own worries that she doesn't want to burden them further. Finally her Grandmother notices her growing 'bag of worries' and they work through her worries together. The girl finds there are lots of different ways of dealing with or sharing worries and feels a whole lot better once her 'bag of worries' has been cleared out.
Our family found this a useful aid in dealing with the stresses suffered by our 6 year old daughter who is hard of hearing. She has more on her plate than most and the story gave us very useful code for addressing her concerns. We continue to use the 'bag of worries' terminology and find that now we can go straight to the problem rather than the old guessing game we used to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!, 28 Feb 2011
I bought this book about 3 years for my son when he was going through a difficult time at school. He carried his own 'bag of worries' with him and didnt really know what to do with them. When we read this book he started to refer to his own worries, so while we talked we created an imaginary bag! He was able to dip into this bag to take out one of his own worries, this enabled him to talk about it! He is now 10years old and he still likes to read this story when he is concerned about anything!

I think this is a great story that all ages, even adults, can relate to. I am currently counselling young children and am considering using this book with one of the children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point, 6 July 2009
This book is a good starting point to talk about anxiety to a young child who is worrying about things - probably up to 6 or 7 year olds would enjoy the pictures and text.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all parents!, 4 Oct 2008
Excellent. This book says what I have struggled to explain to her during a very difficult time in her life. Well deserving of the 5*'s!

5.0 out of 5 stars the huge bag of worries, 29 Sep 2009
I have used this book with my 6 year old son who has the worlds worries on his shoulders, since reading this book we discuss what is worrying him and work out who the worry belongs too, most of the time it is not his, so he throws it away. He has accepted this way of dealing with his worries so i would highly recommend this book to someone who has a worrier, it makes their life less stressful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource!, 22 Mar 2009
This is an excellent resource for those working with anxious children. The children love the story and the beautifully bright illustrations are sure to engage even the most reticent child.

5.0 out of 5 stars huge bag of worries gone!, 20 April 2009
Mrs. Sarah N. Duggan ((St Albans, England)) - See all my reviews
Used this in a SEAL group with Y3 - 6. Also in assembly at school. the feedback from other teachers was great with children sending me their worries to get rid of in my 'bag'. Some of them we were able to 'pick up' and deal with in school. Lovely book and well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 10 July 2009
J. A. Lipscombe (Kent) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely book particulary for anyone who works with children who seem to have a lot of worries or concerns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for older children too..., 24 Nov 2007
I asked our oldest son, who had a huge bag of worries, to read this to his younger siblings. Although it is not aimed at his age he was able to hear and respond to the clear and simple message which applies to any age. It has really helped.

The Huge Bag of Worries: The Huge Bag of Worries
The Huge Bag of Worries: The Huge Bag of Worries by Virginia Ironside (Paperback - 18 Nov 2004)