5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on very specialised Italian vocabulary, 19 Aug 2005
A. L. Mason (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teach Yourself Buying a Home in Italy Book/CD Pack (Teach Yourself Buying a Home) (Paperback)
I was so pleased to come across this book. Finding, buying and renovating a derelict Italian farmhouse will be the major project during (at least) the next ten years of my life. My Italian at the moment is just about sufficient for holidays, so I know there is much I will need to learn to get through the process of buying a new home and then dealing with tradesmen and merchants.
I have seen more detailed descriptions of the legalities of the buying process and the pitfalls that await on that part of the road, but this book is an excellent resource for all that comes after. Its labelled diagrams of everything from septic tank systems to curtain rails will, I am sure, come in very handy for anyone setting up a home in Italy. While the usual conversational Italian classes and courses definitely have their place, I doubt if many would cover anything so esoteric as what a cable detector, a ridge beam or an electric jig saw are called in Italian. Even if your builders-Italian never makes much progress, the diagrams would probably be very useful in communicating each panic of the day.
I'm sure my copy will become very grubby and dog-eared in the next few years. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 11 Dec 2013
Was really pleased with this book - lots of useful vocab. Thoroughly recommend it - am sure I will use it lots!

Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available