5.0 out of 5 stars A bit different!?
Most people either love or hate King's work, strangely i'm in the middle. Christine, Salem's Lot and Bag of Bones really bored me ( although i can appreciate why people would enjoy them) yet It, 'Everything's Eventual' and The Dark Tower series took my breath away. I read this after IT and the two books are poles apart in storyline but close on high quality. Flagg, is...
Published on 12 Sept. 2003 by hippo

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for young teens
A bit different from the usual King offering.

Flagg (from `The Stand') is the royal magician to the ageing Roland the Good. When the King is seemingly poisoned by his eldest son Peter, the throne is passed to Thomas, his younger brother. Flagg ensures that he is the only advisor, determined to plunge the land of Delaine into chaos.

Can Peter escape...
Published on 13 Sept. 2011 by Bridgey

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Eyes of the Dragon (Paperback)
Good book

4.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly good, 5 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Eyes Of The Dragon (Paperback)
As a completist, I am currently forging my way through King's back catalogue, reading some his older books that I had earlier deemed too boring to waste my time on (or I had seen the film so I wouldn't bother with the hassle of reading the novel). All in all, I am quite pleased that I am as most of the ones read so far (Salem's Lot, Pet Semetary, Firestarter) have been much better than his more recent ones (Insomnia, Bag of Bones - although they are still not awful by any means). Some, however, have been absolute turkeys (The Talisman, The Stand). One such book that I had already labelled as being from the 'awful' section was The Eyes of the Dragon. I knew what it was, a children's fairy tale, and it put me off. Although I have enjoyed King's Dark Tower series so far, I did not like his other dabbling into fantasy, namely The Talisman (I'm sorry but it's just not good), therefore I had already condemned it. I could not have been more wrong.
The style is of a fairy tale and sometimes King does go into 'children's mode' but, on the whole, I would say that this is not a children's book. I wouldn't have read this as a child. It is too long and the plot and sub-plots, not to mention the intricately woven nature of the characters, are too complicated for a child. A teenager may lap it up, but I would stick with a nice, short, scary Roald Dahl if I were to give my children something to read (if I had any). Saying this, however, all it means is that it makes a great book for adults.
The story is inspired. It takes a while to grasp what is really going on as King pushes a lot of history into the first hundred odd pages (another reason why kids would more than likely shy away from it) but it is worth it. Everything works well as single strands of plot, slowly winding together to reach the final act when justice is, inevitably, done. As with most of King's climaxes, it leaves the reader wanting a bit more for their pains but, to my mind, it is possibly one of the more exciting and relevant denouements he has written, albeit delivered in the space of a page.
Recommended, but only maybe for the die hard fans. He can be more of an acquired taste.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of King's better books..., 3 Jun. 2006
This review is from: The Eyes of the Dragon (Paperback)
I read this a few years ago and wasn't impressed. For one, it didn't flow like many of King's other works, this one was stilted and somehow stagnant in parts. There wasn't much action and the climax was more of an anti-climax. The language was too simplistic, did King mean this to be a children's story? If so, it didn't work. I was most disappointed by this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of amazing plots and an even better storyline., 6 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Eyes Of The Dragon (Paperback)
I absolutly loved this book! It had everything a good book needs: each chapter is filled with excitement or a vital piece of information; there are no boring parts that may cause the reader to cease reading the book; an excellent beginning, middle and end. Although I haven't bought this book I fully intend to buy it in the near future. Everybody MUST read this book!

The Eyes of the Dragon
The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (Paperback - 8 May 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01