Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 April 2009
I'm sorry but I just don't get it! I rarely give up on a book but, 130 pages in, I quit! And not because of the ridiculous jumble of poorly considered characters & endless scenarios - I quit because of the terrible writing!
This book reads like it was written by a teenager trying to force her meager talent into a novel! The similes soon got incredibly tiresome - for example, 'veins of rock etched into the cliffs like the deep lines of Az's face' - PLEASE! This novel could have been a lot shorter, and a lot more fluid, without sentences such as 'these rocks would grow into some cancerous black thicket, like the ones covering the castle in that White Man's fairy tale about a girl who couldn't wake up without being kissed'. Talk about over-egging the pudding!
I used to read ghost stories as a teenager and I have seen all of this before - the rose petals, the apple scent, the pennies dropping from the sky, the mysterious girl who no-one else ever sees.
After a few pages I was already bored with Ross' relentless grieving - and didn't much care whether he recovered or not. If an author cannot make a reader empathize with a main character, then there is something seriously wrong.
I have enjoyed Jodi Picoult's books before - despite her somewhat juvenile writing style - however this book has turned me off her for good. I suspect the publisher is so used to her trotting out a book every couple of months that he doesn't even bother to read or critique her work. Unfortunate that as I doubt this book will draw new fans to Ms Picoult - and it is likely to turn some of her regular readers away. For anyone looking for a prolific but talented writer, can I recommend Anita Shreve or Daphne du Maurier?
on 8 July 2012
I normally breeze through Jodi Picoult's books but this one took me a little longer. I read it in the Kindle version and sometimes it wasn't clear when the story was changing to a different thread due to the lack of distinct paragraph breaks. There are also a lot of characters introduced in the first part and this can be confusing. Having said that the book is worth sticking with. There are no shocking endings as with some of Ms Picoult's other work as all is explained and some of your suspicions about the plot are confirmed. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 17 October 2011
This is, in my opinion, an absolutely amazing book. I was attracted to the story line of the book but at first I was put off by the thought of the Abenaki Indian storyline running alongside it, as it's something that does not interest me. On the contrary, I found the book very intriguing and compelling. The book did take a few chapters to allow me to gain some stability and understanding of the story line, but after that, I did not want to put this book down. I particularly liked the way that this was written and the the voice of the 'ghost'. I do not usually enjoy books that are written in this way, but Picoult managed to reel me into the storyline and I was absorbed. There were many characters and a few different issues going on in this book but I felt that they were all rather fluid and tied in well together. It was not particularly difficult to follow once I had made the connections with the characters. I also found that the information regarding the Vermont Eugenics project to be very interesting. A truly wonderful and compelling read
on 12 August 2012
Having been slowly working my way through Picoult's books, this is a clear standout from her works. Unlike her other novels it follows a slightly different formula, yet still has a sense of Picoult's charm. The book has a great beginning and gets straight into the plot, making it a relatively easy read, yet this book is full of surprises and every character has a back story, making it almost thriller-like in genre.

The plot itself follows a man who feels he has lost everything searching for the ghost of his love, his sister, her son,a little girl having nightmares, a police man and a few other seemingly unrelated characters. Undoubtedly the best part about this novel is how it all comes together and the genius with which Picoult makes you want to laugh and cry all in one sentence.
Second glance is a mystery, a romance, a thriller and slightly paranormal, its a roller coaster ride, you can't get off. even people getting bored of Picoult will be able to appreciate the story telling in this noel.

i would recommend this for lover of Picoult, but also for people looking for a way out, of the paranormal romance rut everyone seems stuck in after twilight. although the some areas of the book may initially seem irrelevant my advice is persevere read every word, and be amazed at how it all fits in the end.this book has been one of the clear highlights of my summer and will be passed on to everyone i know, because it is such a rewarding novel.
on 25 October 2012
I have only just started reading this novel on my Kindle, but I am really disappointed with the quality of the formatting. There are no section breaks, meaning that the sections of the novel all merge into one long and confusing stream of consciousness. If I had known this before purchasing, I certainly wouldn't have, as it makes light reading too much like hard work. It is a shame, because the story itself is good.
on 1 November 2007
Ross is a ghost hunter, searching for a way to be re-united with his dead fiancée again. His numerous suicide attempts have all failed so ghost hunting is his last avenue to try. He moves to live with his sister, who has a child with a life threatening illness. Things take a twist when he becomes involved with the Abenaki Indians who are trying to prevent building taking place on what they claim is their burial ground. He meets Lia who is somehow mysteriously linked to the past. Then rose petals start falling from the sky, the ground freezes over out of season, pennies appear from thin air and a little girl sees ghosts. This is an out of this world story that will have you spellbound.
on 11 December 2014
I had read this a while back and did not realise it was Jodi Picoult until she mentioned it when I saw her at a book presentation recently. I really wanted to read it again because it had stuck in my mind, which not all books do. Enjoyed it even more the second time .. love the element of the unnatural in it.
on 9 February 2009
Having read, and been enthralled with, "Plain Truth" and "Perfect Match", I was delighted when I was given "Second Glance" in amongst a parcel of used books. How disappointing. I have to agree with all the negative reviews that I have seen. Establishing all the characters at the opening was difficult and the centre section just seemed to wander aimlessly around. Not my favourite, Ms Picoult!
on 2 November 2013
Jodie Picoult is one of the best authors I have ever read. You cannot second guess to where her stories are leading you, and her subject matters are so diverse. She writes about every subject under the sun. Second Glance is unbeatable, bringing to the forefront the trials od the Native Americans once again. As usual with Ms Picoult several stories and moral problems rolled into one great tale. Fabulous book and thoroughly recommended.
on 28 June 2015
Really enjoyed this one. A little bit more predictable than the others but still gripping in the multiple twists & turns. Very detailed characters that are both frustrating & fascinating. Great read :)