4.0 out of 5 stars A great read
I received Perfect Match as a gift for Christmas 2005. I highly recommend it. It hooks you on every page. Jodi Picoult shows an astonishing understanding of the situations in the story. The characters are warm, and each has some skeletons in their closet they would rather hide.
Published on 30 Dec 2005 by Megan Tomlinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly quesy
Published on 4 Oct 2010 by kiki

1.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly quesy, 4 Oct 2010
This review is from: Perfect Match (Paperback)
Jodi Picoult books are one of my guilty pleasures but this one left me feeling very uncomfortable indeed. She often chooses complex domestic situations and dilemmas that provoke interesting moral quandaries. However this novel seems to suggest that as long as one is a middle class mother who loves her child then murder is OK. Not only that if Dad joins in that is OK too. I wonder if such latitude would be given by readers to revenge gang killings in a poor area. There is not even any evidence of either parent suffering, rather than just declaring, guilt. JP recently wondered why Jonathon Franzen is talked of as a great writer rather than female authors, presumably such as she. I suggest that he avoids the emotionally untruthful sentimentality of this book.

It has spoilt me for reading more which is a pity. It is as if something has been revealed about a moral world that I want no part of- rather like police stories where violence on the part of policeman is deemed acceptable and even desirable because they are portrayed as 'on the right side'. Being a mother does not confer righteousness.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 30 Dec 2005
This review is from: The Perfect Match (Hardcover)
A wonderful story on the subject of a relationship between mother and son, and how far she will go to protect him. It gets a definite 8/10 maybe more.

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment, 3 April 2012
This review is from: Perfect Match (Paperback)
I read several Jodi Picoult books, and this book was given to me as a present. After reading gripping Vanishing Acts, I was looking forward to this read, but it turned out to be a huge disappointment.
I could not relate to the main character and did not feel any sympathy for her. Though I think that the purpose of the author was that the reader sympathises with Nina, all I felt was irritation - Nina was a nervous wreck, who first does something and then thinks about her actions, self-centered, stupid (while being on bail she ignored her bail conditions!) and absolutely inconsiderable to others. There is one set of rules for the main character and absolutely different set of rules for all the other people. Her child has been abused, but that is not an excuse for a murder. The moral of this book is that murder is ok, and that if you think that legal system won't work, you can go around on a shooting spree. At the end of the book the author leaves the family together (mother-murderer, father-murderer and their child), apparently for a happy life ever after, but I can't stop wondering, what kind of a child will grow up in such a family. Because of this (the main character shoot a person and walked free, and then her husband killed another person and they are considered to be a nice and happy family), I found this book very disturbing.
But apart from what I described above, there is another annoying side of the book - relationship between Caleb, Patrick and Nina. Caleb is Nina's husband, and after learning that Nina cheated on him with Patrick, all it takes him to forgive Nina is Patrick saying, that Caleb does not value his wife enough. Hm, does that work like that in real life? Not in a million years.
I definetely would recommend to stay away from this book and not to waste your time and money on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 11 Oct 2006
This review is from: Perfect Match (Paperback)
This is the sixth Jodi Picoult book I have read. The first two My Sisters Keeper and The Pact were absolutely brilliant. However then I felt the next books - including Salem Falls and Vanishing Acts - were less impressive, I felt they followed a formula. But I have kept reading Jodi Picoult books because of the promise of the first two books.

It took me a while to get into 'Perfect Match'. Throughout the first chapter (each chapter is quite long in this book) I felt it was going to be too predictable. But I was completely wrong! From the second chapter this book has so many twists and turns it will keep you completely hooked.

The book centres around a mother, Nina, and her five-year-old son Nathaniel. When Nina finds out Nathaniel has been abused she reacts in an extreme way to protect her son.

As other reviewers have said, the main character, Nina, is selfish and quite difficult to like. This made it difficult to read at first. Even Picoult (in the interview at the end of the book) says it was difficult to write the character because she is quite unlikeable! However Nina changes throughout the book and by the end, when the verdict was read out in the courtroom, I had tears in my eyes. You really go through a journey with Nina throughout this book, which is what makes it so entralling.

This book tackles a difficult issue and ultimately, like many of Picoult's books, it addresses what people will do for love. In my opinion it still doesn't reach the peaks of My Sister's Keeper or The Pact but it is one of Picoult's best that I have read. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Picoult fans won't be disappointed, 24 May 2007
S. Barnes (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perfect Match (Paperback)
If you're already a Picoult fan, you won't be disappointed here. There's her usual great writing style, drawing you in as a reader, right from the start and getting you hooked and emotionally involved from the very beginning. This is another heart-wrenching story, exploring dangerous moral and legal ground, and it's impossible to leave the book alone until you know how the story ends. However, I've only rated this one 4 stars because I get the impression with this one that the author herself has got so caught up in the emotions of her characters that maybe the book doesn't quite end how the story would end in real life. It's a small niggle but I'd have preferred to see the book end in a more realistic way. That said, still worth reading!

Nina Frost, assistant district attorney, is married to Caleb (he works in construction) and between them they have a delightful five-year-old son, Nathaniel. They are a happy family & their lives seem content and rounded in every way, both parents sharing roles in Nathaniel's life. Nina's job is harrowing. Every day she is involved in prosecuting people involved in child molestation. She sees first hand the trauma and devastation that families experience as she, the prosecutor, tries to have someone locked up and put away for the crime, and she also knows how difficult it can be to secure a conviction....

All this knowledge makes it all the more difficult to deal with when she and her husband discover that their happy-go-lucky son, Nathaniel, has been sexually abused.

This can be at times a harrowing read, but also plausible in the main. Full of suspense, heightened emotion and difficult moral choices, watch as the case unravels & I'm sure you won't be able to put it down until you've finished the last page.

1.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely Bad Book, 11 Oct 2009
E. Anderton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perfect Match (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of Jodi Picoult, but this book was just plain bad. I actually considered not finishing it. I was completely unsympathetic to the main character in this book, despite the horrible situation she was in. I really didn't like the ending. It was unrealistic and showed far too much sympathy for the main character. The story was not interesting and it wasn't a page turner like other Jodi Picoult books. I can't think of a single good thing to say about it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Same Jodi Picoult, 26 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Perfect Match (Hardcover)
When i started reading the book i was gripped and wanted to find out what happened. However as the storyline developed, i would say i agreed with the other reviewers who say that Picoult's books are too samey, and the ending was real dissappointment, as if it had been thought of in a hurry as a way to tie up lose ends. I found the characters hard to relate to, and difficult to like, although i found the small sections told from Nathaniel's point of view very effective and personal.

Overall i would say that if you have read other Jodi Picoult books, like My Sisters Keeper or Salem Falls, you are not missing out if you don't read this book. Do we really need another Picoult happy ending?

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great read but the unlikely twist spoils it (the review doesn't give anything away), 19 Nov 2007
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Perfect Match (Paperback)
Nina Frost is usually the prosecutor in cases of child sexual abuse, but she is totally unprepared when her five-year-old son discloses that he has been abused. The novel examines how Nina copes and behaves when something she deals with every day happens closer to home, and how she ultimately finds justice both for herself and her son.

I really enjoyed this book. It follows a typical Picoult structure, incident then trial, looking at things both from the individual's view point and also using a third person narrator. The subject matter is dealt with sensitively and I loved the way in which she allows the reader to interpret and misinterpret action after the allegation of abuse had been made. It was a real wake-up call to me to have my prejudices challenged!

The only let down was the twist in the novel (I won't give anything away) but it did all seem a bit unlikely, which I think spoilt an otherwise terrific read.

Still worth a look.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rollercoaster, 20 Dec 2007
This review is from: Perfect Match (Paperback)
This is the first Jodi Picoult book I have read; I decided to wait a few days after finishing the book before writing a review; I did not want to jump straight in, i needed to mull it over in my mind! The book is very well written and factual but it was almost a rollercoaster of a book with it suddenly becoming gripping, then almost a bit boring. The story through the eyes of Nathaniel was very well written. The twist at the end is a bit of a shocker. I have made a start on Keeping Faith; have read about 30 pages and have already noticed a simliar pattern emerging; a child going mute. I am not sure if I am a fan of Picoult yet; i will read a few more books and let you know.... If this is your fist Picoult book, I would pick another one the legal jargon is quite hard going at times.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tough questions, tough answers, 25 Mar 2008
This review is from: Perfect Match (Paperback)
Nobody knows what our reaction would be should something terrible happen to us or to someone we truly love. When life seems to be going well but a sudden, terrible blow comes unexpectedly, there is no way to fathom, no way to know, not even for the most predictable and reliable human being. Ms. Picoult's book `Perfect Match' explores, from different points of views, exactly that.

When Nathaniel's parents realise that he has been repeatedly sexually abused by a trustworthy person, his Mum, Nina, breaks down in every sense of the word. Knowing fully well, due to her line of work and experience -she is a prosecutor-, that the (American) justice system will somehow fail her son and that the perpetrator will most likely get off the hook (or pay very little compared to the damage he has done to little Nathaniel), she decides to take matters into her own hands, thus eradicating the boundaries between her professional and personal life. This act obviously leads to a court case, one that places Nina on the other side of the bench. Was she justified to act as she did? Was she right? Was she wrong? How does all that follows affect her and the people she loves most, her son, her husband, and all her friends and colleagues?
Everything is seen through different perspectives. But how will it end?

As usual, Ms. Picoult's choice of subject is thought-provoking and uncomfortable thoughts linger on. Personally, I think that some characters in this book were not that plausible even though the narrative flows effortlessly and in some way, this book is a page-turner. However, there was `something' in it that did not quite strike the right chord for me, more specifically toward the end, hence the 3 star vote.

Perfect Match
Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult (Paperback - 10 Aug 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01