4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly erudite but accessible nevertheless
This book was not quite what I expected in that I thought that it would be a largely pictorial guide to clouds. In fact it's quite textual with a relatively small number of illustrations considering that it's over 300 pages long.

Published on 7 May 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a train ride
Published on 21 Jan 2007 by Vinny

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly erudite but accessible nevertheless, 7 May 2006

There is a small colour section and I would have liked to have seen the other pictures reproduced in colour also rather than in monochrome which has sometimes come out as rather flattish and lacking contrast.

That said, it's an intelligently written guide not only to the types and appearances of clouds but also to the whys and wherefores of how each type forms and what it signifies in climatic terms. Although quite scientific in places it is also filled with lighter comments and observations.

It's entirely possible to appreciate the beauty of clouds without knowing anything about the processes behind their formation but I would recommend the book to any thinking reader who wishes to be informed in better depth about what they see in the sky and why it's there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a train ride, 21 Jan 2007
I enjoyed this... and I am still not quite sure why! It is a quirky idea and one that is well executed. I fear it may give rise to a load of copy-cat nooks for similarly obtuse and marginal subjects, flooding Waterstones at Xmas. But this one will remain the first of that tribe. Printed and presented in an exquisite way and written in an informative and jokey manner. This is a great companion to a train journey, looking out the window at passing clouds. Sometimes it gets a bit heavy... (there are simply so many clouds and so much science)... but that shouldnt stop the enjoyment of an innovative book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I nearly crashed my car thanks to this book!, 1 Oct 2006
R. A. Collins "BeckyBendyLegs" (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
Witty, amusing, informative, and a fascinating read, is how I would describe this book. I loved it. I'm not even sure what attracted me to it in the first place; I think perhaps I couldn't imagine that anyone could write a whole book about clouds.

I used to admire the sky but only usually as a passenger on a train or in a car, or while sitting at the park watching my son on the swings and even then only half-heartedly. Now I am transfixed by the movements up there. The sky is truly spectacular. Why didn't I realise this before? Now I need to stop myself from gazing heavenwards while driving my car.

My only criticism of the book would be that the last chapter about the Morning Glory cloud doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the book probably because it was originally a separate article.

I loved the idea of taking a test after reading the book (placed in the middle pages). I didn't do too well though as my Latin spelling is appalling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cloud 9 - or cumulonimbus as I should call it now!, 29 May 2006
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
What an eye-opener! Or more probably, what a camera opener. All you ever wanted to know about clouds and just how and why they turn out the way they do. It possibly lacks a few more photos in the book but I accessed the author's cloud appreciation society website and found more photos than I thought ever existed. Though packed with facts, it's not dry science-speak so thank you for turning an everyday event into a extra-special sight (with much understanding behind it)!

3.0 out of 5 stars Look up for clouds, 31 Oct 2007
Mr P R Morgan "Peter Morgan" (BATH, Bath and N E Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cloudspotter's Guide (Paperback)
Gavin Pretor-Pinner deserves praise for taking something so obvious as clouds, and writing a whole book. We tend to take the fluffy white (or bleak grey ......) objects for granted, and many know a little about what they are composed of, and where they come from. Mr P-P is obviously something of an expert in his field, and a real enthusiast, and has caused my thoughts to be "amongst the clouds", and in that the book has achieved some success. However, can I still name the 10 cloud types, and identify them? That is a different matter.

After a general introduction, there are chapters on each of the 10 (main) cloud types. In previous eras, clouds were seen to portend the weather. In the days of the 24-hour availability of detailed meteorological forecasts, that is now hard to believe. Knowledge of cloud formations is becoming something that we do not need to know. There are detailed explanations of weather fronts, (cold front, warm front and what used to be known as occluded fronts). However, there are no weather maps as a pictorial guide, with isobars. That would have been helpful.

Generally, I liked the book more as I progressed, but the subject matter is not `a story'. Gavin writes better when the detail is linked to little anecdotes, and he has a wry sense of humour, more to make the reader weakly smile that laugh. There are informative matters of detail, so that any reader will come away with items they never knew. The style brings life to the sometimes dry subject matter of condensed water vapour, which at times left me reeling with formation details and Latin names of the sub-species of clouds.

I found that some detail of the basic cloud types merged into each other, much as a blanket of Cirrostratus. But then again, I am not a paid-up member of the Cloud Appreciation Society - yes there really is such a society, and this book resulted from that organisation, with the author as its founder. Of more interest to me was the detail about halos, and other visual effects that can be seen. Before opening this book, I had never heard of a `sundog', and am now eager to see one.

Is the weather the same now as it has always been? Mr P-P talks about climate change from a different angle, bringing this in to ways in which we have changed our clouds. This has been done both consciously (Russian attempts to ensure that the weather is fine for May day parades), and unconsciously. In the latter category come the new types of clouds that are seen high in the sky on some otherwise cloud-free days - the contrails ("condensation trails") from jet aircraft. It is interesting to note the effect that 9/11 had climate on the USA, with no aircraft flying and causing contrails for 48 hours. This resulted in an increased average difference of day-time and night-time temperatures of 1.1 degrees centigrade in tem mediate aftermath.

The last chapter details a particular cloud formation, not one of the 10 cloud types, but a spectacular, localised cloud, known as "The Morning Glory". Impressive as this is, I found it has too much coverage, and there were many more illustrations than of more widely-occurring phenomena. Awe-inspiring - yes. Worth that amount of coverage - no.

One thing is certain, I walk more with my head in the clouds, looking at the water vapour above, below and around me with a little more knowledge and detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for cloud lovers everywhere!, 23 Feb 2006
Daniel Halevi Bloom (bubbie.zadie@gmail.com) - See all my reviews
This book is going to turn millions of people into avid cloudspotters, and for that alone, the author deserves our thanks. Some readers will rush out to start taking photographs, and others will write poems. Who knew there was so much to be said, and to be said so well, about clouds? This book will become the cloudspotter's bible for all time, and it inspired me to pen a short poem about clouds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and eccentric, 14 Feb 2009
Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Cloudspotter's Guide (Paperback)
I'm not particularly fascinated by clouds, nor have I ever lay on my back on the grass, staring at the sky, seeing them forming the shapes of faces or horses or whatever, and yet I felt curiously drawn to this book. I'd read a review of it in a Sunday newspaper, thought it sounded interesting, and when I saw it for a reasonable price I bought it.

Each chapter of the book is devoted to a particular type of cloud, and after a diagram illustrating the different types the text then proceeds to explain each, and with the exception of the curiously flat final chapter (another reviewer has commented that it seems to be a copy and paste job from a magazine or something similar, hence the change in style) the author's slightly off-the-wall sense of humour and enthusiasm comes across very clearly. The book never becomes tedious or dry, nor does it see itself as a textbook, and this is what helps to make it so accessible. There is even a short quiz where you are asked to identify some types of cloud from photographs, and the answers to these are also humorous (one is described as 'an "Abominable Snowman, who is upset that his pet seahorse is ignoring him" cloud'.)

My lasting memories of this book were of the humorous content, and also of the somewhat terrifying account of what happened to a pilot who ejected from his aircraft at the top of a thundercloud...

Interesting and enjoyable, and it has made me look up a little more frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have been the "Observer's Book of Clouds", 20 May 2007
Mark Shackelford "mark shackelford" (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Cloudspotter's Guide (Paperback)
Everyone who ventures outside (in these days of Play Stations and zillion-channel TV) will benefit from this delightful book. I now know the difference between a "Cumulus Humilis" and a "Cumulus Mediocris" and my enjoyment of the daily skies has been enriched. Witty explorations of the facts (and fiction) of clouds with many diagrams and pictures to help out. We could do with an expanded "Illustrated" version with better photographs, but this is a great start!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, informative book, 18 Dec 2007
K. R. MOFFAT (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cloudspotter's Guide (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this book. All major cloud formations are described as well as many interesting natural phenomena such a thunder/lighting, rainbows, snow, rain etc.
There could have been more pictures of clouds as some were not illustrated and words are not enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but lacking the big color photographs i wanted, 21 Sep 2006
The Cloud Spotters Guide is fantastic for those wanting to learn everything about those beautiful clouds we see all over the planet when we look up for them.

That said this book was lacking just one thing I was hoping there would be more of; I was hoping for more beautiful big color pictures of clouds. There were only a few pages that actually had color pictures of clouds and they were very small. But from reading the credits closely in this book on one of the more amazing small pictures, I did find out about another book, that is the most beautiful book I have ever seen! The book is RECOGNIZE from the photographer from Glen E. Friedman, it is a must have for any cloud spotter and cloud lover. RECOGNIZE gives me exactly what The Cloud Spotters Guide did not, phenomenal huge beautiful pictures of clouds, and nothing else, (other than a short politically charged introduction and afterward about the photographers career). RECOGNIZE is about the beautiful clouds, printed on 16" wide x almost 12" tall pages. These "skyscapes" which are artistic masterpieces in their own-right, are breathtaking and the perfect companion to The Cloud Spotter Guide if you were looking for great photographs of clouds.

If it's only pictures you were looking for then RECOGNIZE is clearly the book for you.

I recommend both of these fantastic books for the true cloud lovers and members of the Cloud Appreciation Society.

The Cloudspotter's Guide
The Cloudspotter's Guide by Gavin Pretor-Pinney (Paperback - 8 Mar 2007)
6.99