on 8 May 2005
Jo Frost gives many sensible suggesions for parents to try in order to get more compliance from the children. I don't agree with every technique but the majority of them sound like they might work for my family. We have already had success with our picky eaters following the advice in the book. Bedtime is much smoother too after using her strategies for keeping our son in his own bed all night long. I like this book for 3 main reasons: It is parent friendly without clinical or judgmental language, it is set up as a quick reference guide so you do not have to read the entire book to get some specific information to solve a specific behavior problem and it covers a wide spectrum of concerns for the early years (2's, 3's, 4's and 5's). We also like another parent friendly guide called "The Pocket Parent" for the exact same reasons. Both of these discipline guides have offered us many suggestions and solutions to gaining more cooperation from our children.
on 20 October 2005
This book is very colourful and attractive, but lacked in real content, it was a disappointment. I was hoping it could help me with my 3yr old twin girl's cheekiness and sleep anxiety, but it never really gets to the nitty gritty of behavioral issues or sleep problems.
I would suggest buying "Nanny Wisdom" by Kim Nicholson and Justine Walsh. A friend (that used to be a nanny) recommended this book to me. It has been a fantastic resource for me and my husband.
on 22 January 2009
This is a fantastic book. Jo Frost is a no nonsense expert on children and how to get the best out of them whilst maintaining their sense of discipline and respect. Very easy to read, easy and simple instructions and the reasons why. I would recommend this book to all parents, my husband loves it and he's not a reader so must be good!
on 6 May 2009
I bought this for a friend of mine, and then decided maybe I needed it too! I love the TV programme and found this book full of well illustrated advice on enjoying your toddlers and their progression, rather than refering to the 'terrible twos' or 'little terrors'. An enjoyable read with some helpful hints.
on 13 October 2010
From watching Jo Frost on TV, this book explains everything and you can store all the advice on the bookshelf to refer to whenever you need it, rather than having to remember it all. Great buy for any parent. Even before they have children.
on 13 July 2010
mashallah very good book very easy to understand and follow would advise to also watch supernanny shows as it shows exactly how to discipline in practical rather than just theory and has already started working
on 1 March 2010
I like super nanny and this is a nice book and an easy read. It looks nice, it's NOT hundreds of pages of dense writing in a tiny font, it looks inviting even when you are collapsing on the sofa in the evening after your toddler is in bed. I like her common sense, and it is useful to read this book as it will make you reflect on your child and your parenting, which is always very very good to do.

Don't expect this book alone(or ANY other book on the subject, for that matter!) to sort out your kids and family. However I do recommend it because sometimes when you are a parent you can loose self confidence in difficult times...and then it's when you need an outsider to remind you about what common sense suggests.
on 18 May 2005
After reading Supernanny I am met with mixed feelings. The book looks real good, but it lacks the detail that I was looking for. I am very concerned that it does not cover the important "why" questions that parents interested in long-term healthy change might want to ask. For example, "is my child acting this way merely because he's a bad kid?" Or, "is my kid acting this way in response to underlying issues that I am not seeing or addressing very well?" The later question might be a bit more difficult to ask, but it, when asked, leads to greater degrees of parent-child intimacy. My concern with Supernanny is that it provides the parents with parenting interventions but has no depth regarding what leads to these behaviors. Unfortunately, this can (as a psychologist might say "destructively pathologize the child" - placing blame on the child when his or her behaviors are actually a response to a problem, or an indication that his or her needs are not being met in the most healthy way possible). The child's behavior might be a response to a stressor or condition that the parent will now overlook because he or she has the Supernanny cookie cutter intervention.
Again, Supernanny looks real good - probably should be credited to the team of marketers rather than Jo herself. It just lacks depth. For thinking parents I would strongly suggest that you take a look at a book titled: "Systemic Parenting: An Exploration of the Parenting Big Picture" written by a family therapist and parenting expert named Mark Gaskill. Supernanny definitely fails in comparison.
on 5 February 2009
A great book and I find all her techniques, if followed to the letter, work 100%.
on 16 June 2005
After reading Supernanny I find myself feeling uninspired. A fun read but without much merit and certainly without any depth whatsoever. Jo Frost is a nanny, an actress, and an entertainer of the likes of Dr. Phil. However, do not let yourself get swept away in Nanny 911 or Supernanny craze. Parenting and the emotional health of your children is much too important to rely upon a woman who is grabbing her 15 minutes of fame. If you are looking for a parenting resource check out the books that have been written by professionals who avoid the publicists, marketers, and agents that are moving this book up the charts.
I would suggest that parents turn to resources such as "Systemic Parenting" by Mark Gaskill (a family therapist) and "Unconditional Parenting" by Alfie Kohn (a brilliant researcher and parenting expert).