5.0 out of 5 stars Cats and their ways!
If you're familiar with cats' behaviour and are sympathetic to their silly ways you will love this tale of a cat doing what cats do best - tarting their way around in order to get food.... and then getting found out - with amusing consequences! Poor Sid! Really funny.
Published on 2 Jan 2011 by Camel's Toe

3.0 out of 5 stars Tiny
Beware! The hardback version of this book being sold by Amazon is a miniature and it is tiny! This is not clear at all from the web page, not the first time I have experienced this problem.
Published on 14 Aug 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Six Dinner Sid, 31 July 2011
This review is from: Six Dinner Sid (Paperback)
If you & your family are cat lovers this is a great book for you! One of the best 'cat' stories I have read. Cat loving parents will enjoy reading this to the little ones, as much as the children will enjoy listening to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone knows a cat like this...., 4 Jan 2011
P. Hone (Farnham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Dinner Sid (Paperback)
This could easily have been written about a cat across the street from us. He's always coming in our house - we are just sure that we dont feed him. We reckon he goes to lots of peoples houses - just like Sid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 31 Jan 2010
This review is from: Six Dinner Sid (Paperback)
This is a fabulous book! My children loved it as has any other person (child or adult!) that I've recommended it to. Sid's six persona's shine from the pages and his look of disgust when he is offered a 6th spoonful of medicine is a joy to behold.
Any cat owner will recognise their own cats personality in at least one of Sids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Six dinner sid, 1 Nov 2009
P. I. Moody - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Dinner Sid (Paperback)
Lovely book. All the grandchildren like it. Had seen it used in literacy lessons at school.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Time Favorite !, 23 Sep 2008
This review is from: Six Dinner Sid (Paperback)
My son is now 14 and this was one of his favorites, This excellent book with its fab pictures of Sid who is a brilliant charater, was read over and over and we all loved it so much !! In fact we have given it to the youngest member of our extended family now, and guess what... we want it back !!!
Happy memories, and that is what a good book is all about. well done Inga Moore !

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to enjoy more than Six times!, 6 Jan 2012
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Six Dinner Sid (Paperback)
Six Dinner Sid is about a greedy cat who lives on Aristotle Street. He happily lives at 6 different houses, with 6 different owners, has 6 different names and of course gets 6 dinners. None of his 6 owners are aware of Sid's trickery as they never speak to each other. However, when Sid gets poorly and has to be taken to the vets... yep, you guessed it, 6 times, he's given 6 lots of medicine and found out by the vet. His 6 owners are all angry at being double-crossed, and so decide to make sure he only gets one dinner a day. Sid, however, is a greedy cat and wants his 6 dinners a day again so he moves to Pythagoras Place. There, Sid once again moves into 6 different houses but because Pythagoras Place is a nice road and all of the people talk to each other, they all know about Sid and his greedy tummy and need for 6 dinners, and no-one minds!

Straight away, I knew Harry would love this story, and I was right! We have a little black cat called Magic, and therefore Harry loves any book that features a black cat so we were immediately onto a winner. The book was written in 1990, so it's fairly old, but it seems to be a story that has aged really well and the version we have is a new one by Hodder from 2004. The author, Inga Moore, has only written 2 books - this and it's follow-up Six Dinner Sid's Highland Adventure. The cover is lovely, featuring a big image of Sid, a very realistic looking cat, with the title at the top and his 6 dinner bowls stacked up neatly next to him! At only 32 pages long, it's the perfect length for young children as it's long enough to contain a good story yet short enough to hold their attention. I'd say this book is perfectly aimed at children from around 3 to 7 years old.

The story is really good, and Harry loves it. The language used isn't overly easy for young children to read, however, it does help them with their sounding out more tricky words, and perhaps just enjoy being read to them. There is a lot of alliteration with names in the book, such as Sid's aliases Sally, Scaramouche, Schwartz etc, and also with place names like Pythagoras Place, helping children to notice the repeating sounds and with their pronunciation too... of course the children reading it won't know this though! Harry's read it to me and my family several times now and finds it easier with every reading, and it's great to hear him so into reading a more grown up book for him rather than his school books!

The illustrations in the book are stunning, and they really make the book if you ask me. There is something about the drawings of Sid which look so realistic and children really do fall in love with him as soon as you start to read. His expressions throughout the book are priceless, and really back-up the words on the page which is great. Harry especially loves the scenes where we see Sid taking on his different guises on one pages, such as where we see his six different owners, his six different dinners one day, his six different ways of getting to the vet and best of all, his six doses of medicine! Harry often pauses on these pages to talk about the different pictures, and I love that the book encourages children to talk about what they see. Even the human expressions are great, and children are able to read the faces and emotions to back up the story that they are reading/being read.

Overall, Six Dinner Sid is a superb book that I would definitely recommend for younger children and young readers! We've only had the book a few weeks yet we must have read it at least 10 times, and Harry loves reading it to me as much as he loves having it read to him. The book won the Smarties Book Prize for the 0-5 years category in 1990, and is still a popular classroom staple among primary schools because of it's writing, and I can't wait to take it to school to read to my Foundation class. There's so many talking points, from the themes within of being nice to your neighbours, being honest and a greedy cat too! The road names are perhaps a bit advanced for the target audience, but it certainly made the adults in the room smile! It's a timeless book, one that can appeal to children of any time, and that shows by the fact it's still loved 21 years after it was written! Highly recommended by Harry and I, we dare you not to love Sid too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, but excellent story., 15 April 2009
Oddly enough I didn't get a copy of this book for the story alone. I've actually been using it as an educational tool to gently introduce friends and family to the whole idea of Polyamoury.

As a children's book it's a lovely story, as a metaphor for open communication it's a gem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read between the lines., 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Six Dinner Sid (Paperback)
I read this book and all I could focus on was the satanic strangeness of this book.

The story... a black cat, with six different names, six different personalities, six different addresses/locations and no one actually knows where it came from or whose it is... did I forget to mention its a BLACK CAT, and one of its names is SATAN!

The cat is described as being manipulative, persuasive and a charmer, these are historical words used to describe Satan as well, and lets add in some sins that this cat seems to present and love in this book.
1.A proud look (look at the cat: pride)
2.A lying tongue (Lust)
3.A heart that devises wicked plots (envy)
4.Feet that are swift to run into mischief (Gluttony)
6.A deceitful witness that uttereth lies
7.Him that soweth discord among brethren (Greed)

These people do not know that they are being deceived by an "hell-cat" and at the end of the book.. (spoiler alert)... the new neighbours accept Satan, I mean Sid the cat for his faults... allowing Satan, I mean Sid into there lives. If this is the type of person you want your child becoming, then please buy and read this book.

Six Dinner Sid
Six Dinner Sid by Inga Moore (Paperback - 7 May 2004)
5.24