4.0 out of 5 stars be warned
Published on 28 Mar 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars over ambitious
I bought this book before going on a Norwegian cruise, hoping to learn some basic Norwegian. I was over ambitious, and couldn't manage to learn anything at all, but the fault is probably more mine than the book's.
Published 13 months ago by sue williams

4.0 out of 5 stars be warned, 28 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Teach Yourself Norwegian (Teach Yourself Complete Courses) Accompanies Book (Audio CD)
I can see where all the previous reviwers are coming from as regards the quality of the CD; it is quite user friendly. But be warned, if like me you expected an 'audiobook' ie cd AND book combination, then you'll be disappointed; especially as the total price in p+p is about £18.50. If your style of learning is to repeat from a cd then you'll be fine. If you like to SEE grammar and how sentences are constructed, words spelt etc,then like me you'll have to invest in the accompanying book too.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 17 Jun 2008
cindercone (Aberdeenshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Overall, and excellent and fun experience!
It is well organised and in manageable chunks.
I worked through this in 4 months, doing approx 1 chapter a week, spending approx 8-10 hours on each chapter. It helped to keep my own vocab book, and write down useful phrases in a phrase book to aid learning. At the end I typed up my phrase book to consolidate.
Ok I admit I still struggle to understand spoken Norwegian simply because it is so fast, ie faster than the dialogues on the CD, but this is inevitable and probably the case with learning any language. However I can pick up words, and once someone realises Im not Norwegian, I can hold conversations as they slow their speed etc.
The topics and phrases seem so useful for real life situations.
There is a storyline moving through the book, and the dialogues sound quite 'real'. Infact my family understood the 'gist' of the plot, and were waiting for the next 'episode'!
I go on holiday to Norway and hope to live there one day and this is a great start. I now plan to read articles on the web to expand vocab, and to try the specific conversation packs that are part of the same course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent way to learn norsk, 23 Feb 2008
I bought this book/CD combination just before going to live in Norway for 20 months; it helped me a great deal, even though, listening to it first, I thought that I would never master the language. When I started on a norsk course after the first month in Norway, this package gave me a real advantage in the class, and I went onto finish the book in my own time. The last chapter is called "Autumn in BodÝ" which is where I lived. You just have to ignore the part at the beginning where they say that every letter is pronounced in Norwegian (with hva, hvor, gjenta etc. it is clearly not the case). I have frequently been complimented on my pronounication and vocabulary, and this book really helped me on that road.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on the market, 5 Jun 2007
CG (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great book and a brilliant introduction for anyone wanting to learn Norwegian. Everything is explained really well and the author makes no assumptions about the reader's proficiency with grammar, which was good for someone like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great great great - det var kjempe! But.... a follow-up? Please?, 25 Aug 2008
E. Bell "belle_52" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
I wanted a quick way to learn Norwegian and this is it!!!!

It's actually a suprisingly easy language to learn for english speakers, despite several warnings from friends who claimed that it was very difficult! Wrong! :) I found the chapter by chapter progression worked perfectly with the integrated storyline running throughout the book and was not just easy but was fun to learn it as well!!!! The excercises were challenging but do-able, and you always surprise yourself with how much you've actually picked up and retained after completion of a chapter.

I finished the book in about a month and a bit, and only suggestion is that it would be AWESOME if there was an advanced level follow up! Please!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 16 Aug 2013
My review will be very simple: if you want to learn the language, start with this book. (And watch Norwegian TV online. www.nrk.no )

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 6 May 2010
A. Matthews (UK) - See all my reviews
Have had this product for 3 weeks now and found it very interesting.
have used other language books in the past and this is the best by far. the CD is also a very useful tool as you can listen to the linguistics while on the go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book & CD, 24 Feb 2010
Great book for the beginner. No prior knowledge of subject needed. Well laid out and interesting

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 22 July 2009
J. Ronaldson "tarffrovers" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
i've dabbled with Norwegian a fair bit over the past few years but only over the last months have i really managed to get my teeth into this particular course. it unfolds like a soap-opera and keeps the learning experience fresh and absorbing at every turn. plenty of devices are used throughout to help with the learning process & by the end you feel somewhat acquainted with both the characters and even more so with the language itself.
i was genuinely disappointed to reach the end and I would be very keen to find out what happens next with Sue et al. and with the Norwegian language itself!
I imagine it unlikely that Hodder would consider a Part 2 cost-effective but perhaps i could suggest instead that the next revision adds on half-a-dozen more chapters, since one of the few complaints i'd have is that I feel this stops short a little too early when compared with other TY language books available (Swedish and Gaelic + others).
One other small complaint I'd have is that now and again the dialogues are a bit too quick, althogh I'm aware that it's something worth getting used to in terms of making use of Norwegian in the real world!
Otherwise, everyone should buy this course - very good indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning Norwegian, 27 Jun 2009
I. Hildebrand - See all my reviews
This is a very good book. I have tried other CDs and they have been at too basic a level. This book and CD pushes you and really helps you learn quickly.

Teach Yourself Norwegian (Teach Yourself Complete Courses) Accompanies Book
Teach Yourself Norwegian (Teach Yourself Complete Courses) Accompanies Book by Margaretha Danbolt Simons (Audio CD - 29 Oct 2004)
Used & New from: £10.00