5.0 out of 5 stars The First Aid in English
Published on 30 Nov 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Thin on explanation
I found this book to be useful for grammar exercises but poor for explanation. It assumes a level of knowledge for many areas of grammar, and on the section titled "clauses" there are no explanations at all! Clauses are quite a complex area of English language and I fail to see how any student could answer the questions on page 102 and 103 without having previous in-depth...
Published 23 months ago by jill Dowling

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Aid in English, 30 Nov 2001
By A Customer
My first throes with the preliminary academics of the English language happened when I was about 5 years of age. Mother insisted that I study off "The First Aid in English" - I obviously returned menacing looks! Since then, I have referred to this book a million and one times when writing reports, articles, and short stories. I think it is a "must have" for anyone who wants to learn English well. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars First Aid in English - brilliant, so don't trip up!, 20 Jan 2001
By A Customer
First Aid in English books have been around for years - I've got copies of the other versions (from about the 70s onwards), and I thought it necessary to buy an up-to-date version to help me with my reports (I am studying media). The book exceeded my expectations, and it is VITAL for anyone studying at school, or any parents who want to help their children. At such a low price, why haven't you got one already?!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic text, 12 Feb 2006
Dan Mason (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New First Aid in English 2nd Edition (Paperback)
Like other reviewers, I was schooled on this book - what a great foundation for a primary education. I am fortunate enough to have a thorough command of the conventions and 'rights and wrongs' of written and spoken English, and that I ascribe in no small measure to the surprisingly comprehensive and pertinent information packed into this book. Suitable for students of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: The New First Aid in English 2nd Edition (Paperback)
I have never written a review on Amazon before but this book is an amazing find. My 10 year old's tutor recommended it for a good grounding in English in preparation for grammar school tests but this can be used for so much more. Really useful sections for discussions with my fifteen year old and thirteen year olds already at grammars. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best companion you may ever need!, 3 Jun 2006
P. Chambers "Ms Creativity" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New First Aid in English 2nd Edition (Paperback)
I was schooled on this book in the Caribbean some 30 years ago. It enhances learning, is very easy to understand and is definitely the perfect companion for any student over 5 years old. This book is a good investment for parents and teachers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Buying if Limitations Understood, 2 Sep 2006
Jonathan D. Stubbs "JStubbs.com" (LuleŚ, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New First Aid in English 2nd Edition (Paperback)
I use this book in my work as an English as a second language teacher. It is one of several books I use.

Basically it is a set of grammar rules along with exercises. I find it valuable as it helps students to learn basic English language concepts. There are concise summaries of different parts of the language (e.g. prepositions, verbs, plurals, etc.) students can read. These are followed by exercises students can use to practice what they've read. For this, it is one of the best I've found (and I've spent a lot of hours in bookstores looking over material).

Teachers and students who use this book might want to keep in mind that it is dated in places and culturally biased. For example the exercise "The Right Word in the Right Place" uses idioms and fails to identify them as such. The General Knowledge exercise has 259 questions and should be revised - many questions are of the type that require a knowledge of English culture if one is to answer them successfully. To be effective in communicating in English I don't think such knowledge is essential (e.g., does the average student need to know the name for a clergyman's house?).

The English language has many versions - all valid. Everyone needs to understand that there is no one right way. Being consistent in one's own grammar and spelling is about the most that can be strived for. For example, according to Bryson in "Mother Tongue" it's OK to end a sentence in a preposition - the rule that you can't was created by one person and then perpetuated by successive waves of misinformed English teachers.

I recommend the purchase of this book. However, anyone who uses it for learning English will need help in interpreting some of the dated and biased language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 8 July 2011
This review is from: The New First Aid in English 2nd Edition (Paperback)
I have just received this book today.
Have bought it for my 10 year old daughter.
Its teh perfect book to use to teach grammar to kids.
Its also helpful for us adults.
I am sure it will be useful for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 2 April 2010
RTough (Leeds,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New First Aid in English 2nd Edition (Paperback)
I first read this book over fifty years ago and it it is still relevant, no, more relevant now in the days of atrocious grammar and spelling.It should be part of the primary school curriculum but alas it won't be!

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended for 11plus practice or adult literacy, 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: The New First Aid in English 2nd Edition (Paperback)
My daughters tutor recommended this book for help with 11 plus preparation. I would also recommend for anyone doing an adult literacy course entry to level 3.

For 11 plus I liked the spelling lists which we can go through both spelling and understanding of the word. It was surprising to me when I realised she hadnt come across some of the words before and I was glad that we had been able to identify these gaps in vocabulary.

For adult literacy at first it seems too easy but when you try the exercises you soon realise that mistakes can be easily made when you think you 'know it all' already.

Contains 188 pages including;

Parts of speech (nouns verbs etc)
Gender and plural ( husband/ wife - husbands/wives etc)
Group names ( gaggle of geese - herd of cattle)
General knowledge ( Two creatures that see well in the dark - What is the front of a ship called)
Association ( underline two words that are associated with boot; sleeve heel handle sole paper)

The above are just some examples of the content, the actual book contains much much more and has been a great assett. Packed full with explanations, lists, exercises and tests.

I didnt realise it didnt contain the answers, however it does prevent your child 'cheating'.

The New First Aid in English 2nd Edition
The New First Aid in English 2nd Edition by Angus Maciver (Paperback - 30 April 2004)
Used & New from: £18.00