on 13 January 2007
Science with buckets of fun, every household and classroom should have one. It is literally the story of everything ('told in 11 double page spreads'), from the explosive and colourful pop-up of the big bang, (which manages to expand beyond the size of the book). Through to the formation of the solar-system and the evolution of life of Earth. Neal Layton's illustrations are wild and wooly, the sort that children would draw themselves, with a hint of the cut outs and collages of Terry Gillian. All the pop-ups are different and work appropriately to the subject matter they illustrate. Icthyostegas climbs out of an ancient sea and gains legs. Lift the flaps on the mammals family tree to find out what creatures they evolve into. There is an extended time line of houses, from mud huts to blocks of flats at the back. A great book that appeals well to all readers, especially boys that need extra encouragement to pick up a book. They love the interactive quality of the book and its touchy-feely (kineathetic) approach (my copy has been read to death by all the boys in my class). Despite its obvious fun layout, it is an information book, full of the facts and 'stuff' that boys like to soak up. Charles Darwin gets a good mention, as do his ideas - so might make a good child friendly book to use as a starting point for finding out more about this famous scientist. Excellent value.
on 26 July 2007
An excellent book for 4 - 10 year olds, girls and boys. It helps to answer their difficult questions about how the world started and what happened to the dinosaurs and it stimulates them to ask more questions. It gives you the opportunity to explain that humans and dinosaurs didn't live at the same time. My children keep coming back to it time and again and it always leads to more discussion and questions.
on 14 April 2010
In year 2 my childs class were covering evolution and space - big topics. A girl in his class brought this in to show everyone and my son was transfixed and kept saying how he wanted this book. I was slighlty reluctant to buy it as it only has 11 double pages and is a pop up which we have not had a good record with in our house. However, this book has been a firm favourite - he ofetn still gets it out over a year later to have a look. The book succinctly explains the main theory of the big bang, development of life on earth from cells,sea creatures, dinosaurs,mammals and through to humans. All this is achieved with facts and also liberal use of humour and fantastic pop ups, flaps, spinners etc - it is a really fun book - my older children also enjoyed having a look. The variety of flaps to open and bits to pull and fold out really hold a child's interest. Areally good book - well thought out and very engaging. My son also learnt a lot and it iniatied a lot of further questions - great.
on 31 October 2010
This book is really good. Amusing for adults; informative and entertaining for kids. It will test your pronunciation skills!
Bought it for our 4 year old daughter and have read it many times at bedtime already.
on 16 December 2010
My children adore this. I want to give it to every child for Xmas - I suggest it is suitable for 4 - 10 year olds! Lots of pop up and moving features makes it really fun to read.
on 14 September 2011
I think its brilliant to have a book for kids that gives a factual account of how existence came about in a way that is exciting and interesting. My girl used to love flipping the little book in which the fish evolves. Really good, I'd recommend it to any child age 4 and above.
on 6 February 2011
there's soooo much information in here and so much to look at, so very many tings that move and jump out at you. It's exellent, educational, fun, perfect.
on 16 November 2015
Great book for young childeren. Gives answers to my daughters (5 years old) questions about the evolution.
on 11 November 2015