5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read., 12 Sep 2005
Randall Richmond (Santa Rosa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skybreaker (Hardcover)
I came across AIRBORN, the first book in this series, (at least I hope it will be a series and not just a trilogy) a year ago, and throughly enjoyed it. And I was pleased when I found out that Oppel had written a sequel.
Having now read SKYBREAKER, I must say that I have not enjoyed a book this much in several years. It should be mentioned that I am not a young reader. At 55 years I don't consider myself old, but most likely older than the target audience intended for this book - which is too bad, because this novel deserves a large readership.
Oppel manages to balance the adventure, relationships, pacing and atmosphere so perfectly that this should be used as a teaching guide for new writers. He makes us care about Matt & Kate. And Hal, Nadira, Dorje and Miss Simkins - the dreams of Theodore Grunel. It's an exciting and enjoyable work.
Oppel dedicated this novel to his and his wife's new baby. I wish that child a long and healthy life. Baby your daddy did you proud with this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Skybreaker, 10 Sep 2009
C. M. Davis "Carmen" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skybreaker (Paperback)
Great second book in this series. The first one, airbourne, was just as good. On the edge of your seat stuff.....

5.0 out of 5 stars a great new boys' own adventure writer for 9+, 29 Sep 2005
A. Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Skybreaker (Hardcover)
SKYBREAKER is even better than AIRBORN, and continues the adventures of Matt Cruse, the airship (or zeppelin) cabin-boy turned trainee airman. It begins with a terrible storm boiling up in the sky, which his captain tries to avoid by going dangerously high. Just before the crew pass out from cold and oxygen starvation, Matt spots the famous ghost ship Hyperion, loaded with gold. He is the only one to note its co-ordinates,and from then on it's a race against pirates to secure the treasure for himself, a mysterious gypsy girl and a dashing young captain far too interested in Matt's sweetheart Kate. Like Indiana Jones, this novel is packed with fast-paced action, but it is also very well-written and intelligent. It's a long time since a story like this came my way - don't miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, 15 Sep 2006
P. McNeil (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skybreaker (Paperback)
I borrowed this from my local library as it looked interesting. As a mum of two young boys I am testing out books aimed at their age range and above, and this is one book I would definitely recommend to them. I took it to read at my mother-in-law's and sat down one morning to read a couple of chapters while it was quiet. Two hours later I was half way through the book fending off my children to their grandma, frantic to finish the book because I just had to know what happened next. I then lent it to my mother-in-law and had to practically rip it out of her hands to take it back to the library. I read a lot of books and there are only a few I will buy, this and Airborn will be on my Christmas list this year. It is a cracking good read and the type of book all readers long to find. I shall keep a close eye on what Kenneth Oppel writes in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diamond in the rough, 20 May 2007
This review is from: Skybreaker (Paperback)
As a bookworm I've discovered it's unfortunately extremely rare to find a book that has a good plot, is written well (and (in Borders) doesn't smell like coffee). Normally it's a good plot but badly written, or very well written but sends you to sleep (And since the teen section in borders is upstairs nearly everything smells like coffee). Thankfully I found this DIAMOND of a book in a local bookshop and it was the first book I've read in a while that I just couldn't put down. Having finished it minutes ago I'm feeling uplifted by the thrill of it, but depressed that I now have nothing to read! Seriously READ THIS BOOK - it's impossible, strike that, it's against the laws of physics to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 July 2014
D. Penney "Pan Man UK" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skybreaker (Paperback)
Love this book, such an adventure. Wish there were more in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skybreaker, 12 April 2008
A. Baumgart "Adam" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skybreaker (Paperback)
I bought this book for my kids as a follow up to Airborn. I read it myself and could not put the book down. It's a wonderful, imaginative, engrossing "boys own" adventure. Airships, young, brave characters, people learning their way in the world, thrills, adventure. Can't wait for the next book.

Skybreaker
Skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel (Paperback - 7 Sep 2006)
5.67