on 12 May 2008
****************************************************************************************************
-this is how many stars it deserves but you can only give 5 as the max.
It is full of interesting ideas about wright and wrong, captivity and hope and apart from that it is an a absolutely brilliant read.
Full of characters you can really relate to with their troubles and temptations even though they are in a different time to us.
I would definitely recommend for anyone to read as it has some thing for everyone.
on 29 October 2004
Sleep Walking is Nicola Morgan's latest novel. This time she has used sci-fi to create her latest masterpiece, proving again her great versatility.
In this book we find ourselves in a world that has been transformed into a far different world than which we know today. This is a world, which is completely controlled through one single building. The Citizens do not realise this as they are in there own world, where you cannot be made upset by such trivial things. However there is a small band of people who do realise how the world is run. They can also use their minds clearly so, therefore see that the world should be changed. But this is not made easy as the new cruel police force hunt out this band of people. And now that a new plague is killing off the group the fate of the world lies in three teenagers hands.
Unlike most sci-fi books this one is down to earth, although the plot is typical of the genre. Morgan's style of writing causes the plot to be extremely believable. She also portrays the characters very well and really makes you care about them. Finally she also creates a sense of reality between reader and story. This book certainly lives up to the standards of "Mondays are Red" and "Flesh Market" if not exceeds them.
I would certainly recommend this book to teenagers through to adults because it's a fantastic story and you will not be able to put it down. Buy it!
on 26 November 2012
I just don't see how anyone could give this five stars. I thought it was contrived, annoying and don't get me started about the ending. I'm not the target audience, but even so, this was not a good book. Sorry Miss Morgan, I just didn't like it at all.
on 14 March 2010
Much better than I expected. The plot is very interesting and the concept clever. It's easy to read and even though it is aimed at a younger audience, I was still absorbed into the story.

The only negatives are the slightly too cheesy ending and the epilogue which I can't make sense of but still a five star book.
on 28 July 2005
this book is excellant. Someone has already outlined the plot so I'll just say that this story is depp and intresting. You get really caught up in the plot and the characters. I read in one day and it certainly wasn't time wasted.
I'd recommend this to teenagers and adults.
on 31 October 2006
A great read, interesting and slick the whole way through; but overall I thought there was something missing, then I realized that all these ideas have been presented before and better in some other books.

The story is a mish mash of: 1984, Brave New World, a bit of Wizard of Oz and every story where a plucky band of teenagers does battle against the evil Tyrants. (and if you want to understand the ending, make sure you know who Machiavelli was - and no, he has nothing to do with 2 Pac) Other imagery is stolen from various other sci fi films.

Certainly worth the time spent reading, just make sure you read all the other references.

And have fun working out the password!