5.0 out of 5 stars What a great idea and beautifully done. Buy!
Published on 4 Mar 2005 by ELH Browning

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful of the hype!
I bought this for my 4 year old son with the remainder of his christmas money, due to the rave reviews, and also because we're a very "bookie" family. We have a huge collection comprising lots of modern day children's classics; Julia Donaldson, Lauren Child, Nick Sharratt, Andy Stanton, Cressida Cowell, Oliver Jeffers etc.

However, on receiving this book, I...
Published on 8 Jan 2010 by L. Pike

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great idea and beautifully done. Buy!, 4 Mar 2005
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mixed Up Fairy Tales (Hardcover)
This book is very cleverly done. It's so clever it seems terrifically simple. There are a dozen fairy tales, all of which you'd expect a four year old to be familiar with, stripped down to a single longish sentence of four components which can then be mixed an matched in the time-honoured way that's often used to create mixed up animals. For example: the Ugly duckling.. is scratched by a spinning wheel, then falls asleep in baby bears bed after eating... Red Riding Hood's granny. The children love it because they're meddling with and subverting stories they know and it is great fun for the parent too. Also, as the words are fairly simple, a beginning reader can do it themselves and is inspired to keep on doing it. As you'd expect from Nick Sharratt, the illustrations are straightforward and appealing. You just can't go wrong! If you like this, look out too for 'You Choose' which is another great Sharrat classic which is also an inspiring fun book for this age group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 26 July 2006
W. Skilling "Averthan" (Warrington, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mixed Up Fairy Tales (Hardcover)
A fantastic book that takes well know fairy tales and allows you to mix them up. It has kept my kids, (a boy aged 5 and a girl aged 9) amused for hours - not to mention their parents. It is an excellent book for encouraging beginner or reluctant readers as it allows them to choose what they want to read, and then delivers it in short phases, with good picture clues. An example.. Jack...grew and grew to the size of a house...and dreamt about marrying...Little Red Riding Hood's Granny. I will be buying a stack of these books as they will make excellent birthday presents!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for making my kids laugh, 9 Jun 2009
This review is from: Mixed Up Fairy Tales (Spiral-bound)
As someone else has said, the concept is simple. Take a few fairy tales summarised in a sentence, with four parts, on a single sheet of paper where each part of the sentence can be turned as a separate page.

Turning over a varying number of pages for each sentence part results in wonderfully silly sentences that my kids have enjoyed since they were 4 and 2, and still do at nearly 7 and 5.

An example to give you the idea is "Cinderella grew and grew to the size of a house and dreamt about marrying a bowl of soup".

This book and You Choose! have given us hours of fun. They are well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect gift, 23 May 2008
This review is from: Mixed Up Fairy Tales (Spiral-bound)
I can't think of a more wonderful gift for any child. This book has everything - from lovely illustrations to a link to familiar fairytales, great opportunity for humour, creativity .... what more could one want? My daughter has entertained herself and the whole rest of the family endlessly with this book and it's such a pleasure as a parent, too, to be able to sit down and have some fun with fairy tales from a slightly different perspective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised at how much fun they have, 9 Nov 2009
Mrs. Clarinda Hall (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mixed Up Fairy Tales (Spiral-bound)
When I received this book, I thought it was perhaps a little too basic, and like many presents it was put aside for a while. However, when my 4 year old daughter and 7 year old son picked it up recently, they were in hysterics for ages. The pictures are bold and colourful and they love the fact that you can create so many differnt sentences. It is very basic humour, but to hear them laugh like that is great. They shut their eyes, turn over some of the pages and then see what they have created. I think it will help their reading as well - with the large print and few words. It is not a masterpiece, but it is fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful of the hype!, 8 Jan 2010
L. Pike (Lincs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mixed Up Fairy Tales (Spiral-bound)

However, on receiving this book, I was immdediately disappointed with the quality; a hardcover, spiralbound, as mentioned on the description, but the paper inside is very flimsy, and with all of the thin horizontal strips on every page (that enable the reader to mix up the stories) and I can see this wearing out and ripping very quickly, despite having 2 children who take great care with their books. Also, the illustrations aren't as vibrant or great as I'd hoped, and for me (and most importantly, my son) it just isn't that funny. There are a couple of obscure stories in there too, that I don't even know, so I doubt my kids will!

Sorry to be such a killyjoy, and maybe it'll grow on us in time, but I certainly don't view it as worthy of "classic" status - in our family anyway. Thumbs down from us, I'm afraid....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for everyone, 14 Jan 2010
This review is from: Mixed Up Fairy Tales (Spiral-bound)
A bit of light hearted fun involving traditional fairy tales - my 6 year old loves this and so do I

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 21 Nov 2009
This review is from: Mixed Up Fairy Tales (Spiral-bound)
We are loving this book! A bit to complicated for our 2.5 yr old but the 4.5 and 6.5 year olds love it. My 4 year old is old enough to know the real version of the story and the 6yr old can read it herself and so chages every variation!!
Great fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really funny, 26 Oct 2009
This review is from: Mixed Up Fairy Tales (Spiral-bound)
I've got this for my children for xmas so they haven't seen it yet, but I think it's fantastic. It's really witty and it works. I'd recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mixed up fairy tales, 15 Sep 2009
Deirdre Donald (Gloucester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mixed Up Fairy Tales (Spiral-bound)
A great book to encourage reading, my 5 year old had great fun making up fairytales, reading them aloud not realising she was also practising her reading. Lots of fun to be had,definetly recommended.

Mixed Up Fairy Tales
Mixed Up Fairy Tales by Hilary Robinson (Spiral-bound - 15 Sep 2005)
5.24