5.0 out of 5 stars Learning Afrikaans
Published on 16 Feb 2005 by Ryngan Pyper

3.0 out of 5 stars CD can't be used alone
Published on 27 Dec 2009 by Linda Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning Afrikaans, 16 Feb 2005
This review is from: Teach Yourself Afrikaans (Teach Yourself Complete Courses) Accompanies Book (Audio CD)
Although I had to wait a while to obtain this product, I've found this audiobook an excellent means of getting started with Afrikaans. The friendly narration makes it clear and easy to work along to in the accompanying book. With the focus on learning the sounds of the language rather than wrestling with complex grammar, I've quickly learnt to understand and contribute to conversations. If you want to get a foot in the door with learning this language, this product is ideal.

3.0 out of 5 stars CD can't be used alone, 27 Dec 2009
Linda Smith (Kingston on Thames, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this product hoping I'd be able to use the CD in the car on the way to/from work to supplement using the book, but they are designed to be used in conjunction with each other so it hasn't really worked for me - but they might work for others who plan to use them together. The book frustratingly doesn't give a translation of everything - some things you have to deduce yourself, which might help you remember it but is also open to error if you deduce the wrong thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teach yourself is the best, 15 Oct 2007
C. R. Trueman (London) - See all my reviews
I have used TY products on three different occassions and each time they have been outstanding so it won't be surprising that I was once again impressed with this one. I would recommend getting the whole pack as the CDs are very helpfull with the pronounciation and I found having the complimenting audio bought the book to life. Ofcause nothing is as good as having real live biltong vreters to verbally attack while one is first learning but this is the next best thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teach Yourself Afrikaans, 3 Aug 2009
D. J. King (Ednbridge, Kent, England.) - See all my reviews
For a pwerson with no language skills, I found this to be a well structured publication. The interaction between the CD content (aural) and the text (written) was very good. The suggestion to listen to the rythym of the language is true. Not the easiest of languages to learn, I found this system to be instructive and rewarding. Within 4 weeks of no knowledge, I am able to speak and understand the basics of the languaue.

There is the additional bonus that the culture of these Afrikaans regions and this race of self determined people, is both instructive and informative.

A good purchase to start, there is of course no substitute for 'getting out amongst the people and actually using the language,. However this course is a very good basic, then intermediate start to such aspirations.

David King. Edenbridge, Kent. 3.8.2009.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick Overview/Review., 16 Nov 2010
This product is really good! It's helped me with the grammar and the basic understanding of Afrikaans. The CD is helpful when there is no other Afrikaans speaker to attain the language. I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dit boek is mooi!, 12 April 2007
This is a very reader-friendly book which goes through the vocabulary and grammar so that one does steadily get familiar and at ease with afrikaans. My personal opinion is that there is no need whatsoever to buy the full "book+cd" pack since there are amaizing online resources for learning afrikaans pronounciation (crucial!), with sound clips.

I do not point out the book as being a 5-star one because some words and expressions in some of the dialogues in the book are not translated and it is sometimes dismaying.

Teach Yourself Afrikaans (Teach Yourself Complete Courses) Accompanies Book