on 5 March 2006
I've tried several books to help me learn Turkish and this is the best. The authors strike just the right balance between grammatical explanations that help you understand what's really going on, and genuinely useful dialogues and vocabulary. They make the whole process great fun. I've been plugging away at this book for a few months now, am off to Turkey soon and, along with the Rough Guide dictionary/phrasebook which I will take with me, feel well prepared. Minor gripes: the glossary at the end includes far from all of the words in the texts, proofreading is a bit erratic, and the exercise answers at the back are hard to match up because they're listed under chapter numbers while the exercises themselves only have the chapter names at the top of the page. But don't let that put you off - this book is great.
on 25 July 2002
Being a lover of all things Turkish i felt it was time to stop expecting the Turk's to talk to me 24/7 in English so i bought Teach Yourself Turkish, the cassete and book pack.
The book alone can teach you enough to get by but with the tape accompanying it, it makes the whole process easier and even more fun!
The authors give good pointers on how to go about this 'Teach Yourself' course and beleieve me its working!
So if i can do then so can you!
Definatly recommend using this as your first and possibly only means of beginner Turkish.
on 23 January 2001
Not very well laid out for the eye. Moves along quite quickly. Covers most of the essentials, but the exercises do not seem all that well thought out and some don't really test what you've learned. Emphasis very much Turkish to English and not the other way around
on 4 August 2011
I have been looking really to get a grasp of Turkish so I can speak to natives in a conversational manner. There is really only books available that teach you how to ask for bread and deal with the menial tasks that tourists might grapple with. But this is not really a problem, one has to start somewhere and this book prepares you well for those shallow excursions into Turkish culture.
Having spent time in Turkey I realise that learning the local language isn't essential for a tourist, it maybe adds to the general perception that the culture is somehow more exotic than it really is and the basic words being spoken in Turkish are a kind of embellishment to the experience.
For the purposes of acquiring some token spoken language, this book is great and the grounding that it supplies to you in the absence (or in collaboration with a teacher) is invaluable. In addition to the use of a book you could attempt to use the online learning program "livemocha" which I have found to be a good program for supporting learning.
on 23 February 2013
I got this pack some time ago now when I was going to Turkey for a couple of months and did'nt have a clue how to speak the language, I found it very clear and easy to follow it gave you many examples of everyday topics which I found very helpful when I got there, and if you are surrounded by Turkish people you pick up even more and you can relate back to the book for a clearer understanding, I used to listen to it while cooking and cleaning and just repeated each section that I was unclear on, but it does go over each lesson anyway. I found it helpful if you put post it notes over many objects at home and write the turkish name of them which I got from the book and that way each time you see them say it out loud and it sticks in your memory alot quicker and easier!

I would deffinatley recommend this pack
on 8 April 2011
I would recommend this book as good learning material both for the beginner and people with some knowledge of Turkish if only to use for reference. I ordered a used version which did look as though it had been round the block and through a charity shop (you should have rubbed the price out) But it was more than adequate for my purposes and a lot cheaper than a new version. Once I have worked through the book I may treat myself to a new version to use for reference.

The asides were also informative including dialect info and Turkish 'shorthand' - what the Turks would say rather than translated Turkish. Having used such phrases, the Turks can see you are really trying with your language and will help you out wherever they can.

Well done to the authors for keeping it real and making it such an easy read and learn.
on 12 March 2010
Been using this book and CD for a coupld of weeks and i'm really happy with it. The lessons are good and i've done the suggestion of playing it in the car and on my mp3 player etc. the words and teh structures are slowly but surely being retained! The book has motivated me for the learning process, which is what you want from a guide.

So far so good, top purchase!
on 14 August 2011
Invaluable for learning Turkish. Well set out with regular tests to check that you have understood. Best teach yourself book around for Turkish
on 4 February 2013
This book is good get good day to day conversation in Turkish language, nicely written and make it fun to read.
on 11 October 2014
A very useful course book. It includes both dialogue practice and a clear explanation of the grammar so you can be creative with the language - not just learning chunks by heart. It progresses at a good challenging pace whilst not being too fast. I found myself able to communicate basic things in Turkish after just a week when I visited Istanbul.