4.0 out of 5 stars Sehr interessant!
Published on 25 Oct. 2008 by Mr. S. Palmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...
While this book is very good, the title gives the impression that it is a complete course... however, to benefit from the book, you do need the accompanying audio CD. Most of the exercises are based on listening to the CD. This you have to buy separately. I'd assumed it came with the book, but it didn't, which was very frustrating.

The layout is clear, the...
Published on 15 Jun. 2006 by toriacymru

4.0 out of 5 stars Sehr interessant!, 25 Oct. 2008
Mr. S. Palmer (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I had previously done a GCSE in German about 15 years ago and felt I would like to brush up a bit on the language. I have steadily worked through 'Teach Yourself German' for about the last 3 months and played the CD's in the car etc. during this time. I can say I have found it a very easy book to get into, it is quite fast paced and progresses through some quite tricky Grammer -even more involved and in depth than I needed for my GCSE. The major flaw is that only a small amount of new vocab covered in the book is translated at the back, so I have had to constantly thumb through my Dictionary to find words (sometimes not finding them even there!)
I can say that my Knowledge of the language has increased quite a lot and although I have got a bit bogged down at times, I would rate this book quite highly for students with a little knowledge of the subject but too intense for total beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent course; IF you get the book+CD pack, 27 July 2009
GizmoGeek (Hounslow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Let me say this straight away and get it out of the way:
Unless you get this along with the accompanying CDs, you are seriously missing out on a lot.
If you're looking to get only the CDs, then you're simply wasting your time because there is nothing you can do with just the audio.

In a way, this is a negative aspect of the course in that they also sell them separately rather than one single pack. They really SHOULD sell this only as one pack.

Coming to the actual course, it is really very good and I really liked the following:

a) Gradually introduces vocabulary and grammar and builds on to what you already know from previous chapters.

b) When new rules are explained, the exercises following kind of integrate with them rather than focusing on the rules itself.

c) Uses real-life examples, brands and company names found in german-speaking countries rather than saying "Company XYZ"; so you can really relate to them if you get there.

Only drawback I've found is that the book-size is kind of small for a book that thick, so it tends to crease in the middle when you read.
But that is okay, and I wholeheartedly give this a FULL FIVE!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ich bin Deutsch!, 24 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Teach Yourself German New Edition (TYCC) (Paperback)
I was a complete beginner to German, and was unsure, with so many publications for self-teaching of German, which to go for. This fit into my price range and comes with an audio CD, which I feel is essential to learning German. After having the pack for only 5 days, working through one chapter a day, I found I was able to ask and reply to a lot of conversation such as asking your name, where you come from, where you live, how are you, counting to 100, the alphabet and asking someone what languages they speak - I think this is pretty good for a beginner in such a short space of time. Although that is just a small fraction of what will be covered I already feel very confident.
The book goes through and each chapter builds on the last, there is lots of activities to do, listen and write down or answer the questions, the CD will ask you questions and you are to answer them (and it then tells you what you should have said - so you get feedback on your progress).
Most off the language is spoken to you on the audio CD, so you learn how to pronounce a word properly.
However not every word is spoken on the CD and you're left high and dry on how to say the words, and the book does not put any pronunciation of full words in (but it does tell you how to pronounce small pieces of words e.g. sp- st- etc)
In summary: I would recommend this to anyone beginning German, you can quickly learn a large amount of language, but don't expect everything to be covered.
Do a chapter a day and sleep on it - you'll be surprised how much you've learnt.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 15 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Teach Yourself German New Edition (TYCC) (Paperback)

The layout is clear, the chapters are short enough to cover one a day, the exercises are relevant and useful. However, unless you aleady have a working knowledge of German and know how to pronounce the words, without the Cd it's rather pointless. Disapppointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 Oct. 2007
David Kelly - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teach Yourself German New Edition (TYCC) (Paperback)
There has to be better books than this for the beginner, with its boring topics and deficient translations. The CD cant be positioned to individual parts of a lesson and some of the early lessons are spoken too fast for the beginner to follow. As for the narrator - does anyone actually speak with such an accent. Look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easyly the BEST book to learn German, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Teach Yourself German New Edition (TYCC) (Paperback)
I've tried and tested many language instruction books but this is by far the best one ive come across to learn German. The structure and pace is perfect and grammar is explained well so that it's easily undersood. I've been struggling for months and months with German syntax and grammar and this book just blown it all away. I have progressed more in a few days than months of study elsewhere.

I highly recommend to get the CD that goes with this too. It's usually about £20 but you can get it cheaper at language-learning.org

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Package, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Teach Yourself German New Edition (TYCC) (Paperback)
My intention was to try to improve my German, However I found that I soon grew out of it and wasn't what I required, however for a novice, it is easy to follow and a good guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets you there fast, not just for tourists, 31 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Teach Yourself German New Edition (TYCC) (Paperback)
Great little exercises for learning German, you will learn quite a lot of German using this book not just tourist stuff either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 3 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Teach Yourself German New Edition (TYCC) (Paperback)
Also improved my German - Teach yourself are a good language series.

Teach Yourself German New Edition (TYCC)
Teach Yourself German New Edition (TYCC) by Heiner Schenke (Paperback - 1 Jan. 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01