5.0 out of 5 stars A long but worthy read...!
This book will take you a long time to get through, but it is worth it. The title says it all; offering a theology and practical explanation of what it means to know God, and to get to know him better, Packer dissects the ideas behind evangelical theology and some of its competitors.
The main focus is that to know God's Word- the Bible- is the way to know God; but he...
Published on 3 Dec 2002 by William Fross

3.0 out of 5 stars Dare I whisper it? Yes... overrated
This book has been incredibly influential over the last 30 years. The author, a highly respected evangelical theologian sets out, by his own admission, not to write a systematic theology of God, but to present a "string of pearls" regarding God's attributes from a conservative evangelical viewpoint. As such he does so very thoroughly, but rather stodgily. The book is...
Published on 24 Jun 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Clearly a classic, 25 Nov 2010
S. Meadows (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knowing God (Paperback)
I had a few people mention this as a highly influential book on many well-known christians whose own writings I have read and liked. So I thought it would be worthwhile getting this book and having a read. I have to note that this is an extremely rich book, full of some much deeper theology than I was expecting of it. It is extremely well-research and referenced, clearly the product of a knowledgeable and passionate mind.

The one main criticism I would have was of an opportunity missed in the 2005 updated edition; specifically that of the language used. The style of writing is not as accessible as it might otherwise have been. Some of the phraseology is archaic and not straightforward to the lay reader. This is further used by the Bible quotations which are mostly from very old translations, not in the modern vernacular. For this reason, a modern reader who isn't familiar with this way of putting things (which I think would still have seemed a little antiquated when it was first published in the 1970s) could be easily put off.

Putting that small criticism aside and focussing on the substance of the book, it is clear to see why it is so highly esteemed. The huge range of references means that the vast majority of what the author has proposed is backed up with evidence. The real difference in this book that sets it apart is the unflinching look at ALL aspects of God's nature. Too often, the idea of God showing jealousy, judgement and wrath is dodged, ignored or glossed over by many a christian writer.

In terms of the scope of the book, the author has been very thorough. He has not left out any significant areas of God's character. I think this is a book I will come back to again and again. I haven't yet used the study questions at the back, but have had a flick through them, and they appear to provide good food for thought. It's not a short book and if you follow up all the references it will take several weeks to work your way through, but it will be well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
Shirley M Day (PLEASANTON, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knowing God (Paperback)
Excellent, meaty and most informative. I love his style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Knowing God (Paperback)
This is a challenging book... not an 'easy' read, but well worth the effort! With study notes at the back it's ideal for a House Group.

5.0 out of 5 stars knowing god, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Knowing God (Paperback)
haven't started reading this book yet but know it is the one I was looking for and will give me the information required

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowing God, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Knowing God (Paperback)
Top notch book about Christian life. Very dependable author. Found it a great blessing and very helpful for everyday Christian living.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Knowing God (Paperback)
I had heard about the doctrines of grace vs free will but I never thought too much into it. This book gave a compelling argument on the doctrines of Grace and it is a book part from the Bible itself though using Biblical themes, terminology and the like, that has changed my life and indeed my view on God. It is such an easy book to read but the writer inspired by the Spirit makes some compelling points from honest Biblical Exegesis. I have since brought my friends this book too because of its impact on my life

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowing God by JI Packer, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Knowing God (Kindle Edition)
A must have book for everyone seriously seeking to know God - Easy to read and packed with life changing teaching.

5.0 out of 5 stars More helpful with every read through, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Knowing God (Kindle Edition)
5th time through this book and more profit enjoyed every time. Among my top 10 reads ever. Not to be missed by any serious minded Christian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowing God by J.I.Packer, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Knowing God (Kindle Edition)
I once had a copy of this book but cannot find it any more. I checked the Kindle list and found it. It is very useful to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work is good, 25 Jun 2013
Simon M. Saunders (Wuxi, China) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knowing God (Kindle Edition)
The chapters on the benefits of work and how they serve God and not ourselves provide excellent food for thought.

Knowing God
Knowing God by J.I. Packer (Paperback - 17 Jan 2005)
6.99