5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking and challenging page turner!
Published on 8 Jan 2006 by Joy Barker

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps I Expected Too Much
I had hoped that there would be more about how God meets us and works in us when we are out of our comfort zone but there was not really any of this. Instead R.T.Kendall seems to assume that we would be out of our comfort zone by the God he describes. I wasn't. In general I agreed with him.

One thing did concern me, He attacks the pharisees for putting their...
Published on 21 April 2012 by Hugh Boorman

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking and challenging page turner!, 8 Jan 2006
This review is from: Out of the Comfort Zone: Your God is Too Nice: Your God Is Too Nice (Paperback)
I read this book in a record time and then wanted to go back and read it all again. There are so many things that jump out and speak straight to the heart. I don't believe that anyone could be unmoved or unchallenged by the truths it holds. It is a clear voice calling us to know our God for who He really is; to be brave enough to embrace His entire character. It also demands that we take a deep look at our own hearts and does not hold back in suggesting what we might find there.
This is a superb book that has left me with a lot to think about and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to move on, 14 Jan 2008
Dr. Brian B. Scott (Lincoln, UK) - See all my reviews
RT Kendall has the knack of hitting on the important topics with which Christians today need to be challenged in their Christian walk. We all dislike change. But the heroes of our faith listed in Hebrews 11 were called by God to move on, not knowing where He would lead them and risking misunderstanding and ridicule (e.g. Noah, Abraham, Moses). They had to leave their comfort zone. This book explains that we too must be prepared to leave our comfort zones if we want to serve Him. This could include speaking to people about our faith, taking part in a different form of worship, speaking out against something wrong, standing up for the truth etc. We tend to build up a picture of God that suits us and isn't too challenging. We choose to ignore much of the Bible's teaching about God's wrath and justice etc. In short, `our God is too nice' which is the subtitle of this book. This keeps us in our comfort zone. We need to be committed to the God of the Bible and that will lead us from our comfort zone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly too bold, 6 July 2009
Peter Bloomfield (UK) - See all my reviews
I initially read this book hoping it would be primarily about relying on God in hard situations, and how He often calls us to do difficult things. Rather, it is more about salvation, God's sovereignty, and His right to do whatever He wants.

I cannot say I fully agree with everything Kendall says, and part of it sounds like he is just ranting a little about why he's a Calvinist! Having said that, it is an interesting book, and Kendall never fails to raise relevant and insightful challenges.

Anybody who already believes and knows a good deal about the sovereignty of God and the doctrine of election will probably be fine with this book. However, I think most Christians would do well to read JI Packer's "Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God" first, as some of Kendall's writing can be a bit scary if you're not prepared for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging!, 2 May 2009
S. Lloyd (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
Really enjoyed this book - RT is honest and challenging and can't wait to encourage others in my church to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of the Comfort Zone: Is Your God Too Nice?: Your God Is Too Nice, 2 Mar 2014
Straightforward selection, download and install of an excellent book . No problems encountered and thios book is very inspirational and motivational - a good read that will lead to positive application.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st Class Reading, 29 Dec 2013
Really helpful and interesting a good read and teaching one you can read again and again without getting tired of doing so

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps I Expected Too Much, 21 April 2012
Hugh Boorman "capthugeca" (Didcot, Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews

One thing did concern me, He attacks the pharisees for putting their theology before people but then suggests that Jesus seems to have delayed healing people until the Sabbath so that he could challenge the Pharisee's attitude to the Sabbath. I hope that Jesus healed people on his first encounter rather than delaying it to make a theological point. Otherwise he seems could be tarred with the same brush as those he challenged.

The final couple of chapters just summarise what he has already said throughout the book (a bit like a sermon?) so felt a bit superfluous.

This is the first R.T.Kendall book I have read and perhaps his "bigging up" by others had caused me to expect more from it. I am not sure that I would rush out to buy another by him.

Out of the Comfort Zone: Your God is Too Nice: Your God Is Too Nice