on 4 September 2006
If like me you have always been interested in learning japanese but did not have a clue how to start, get this book!!

I was really suprised at how quickly I rememberd the kanji. this book really is fascinating, and I could not put it down! I feel much more confident in my approach to learning kanji now as this book explains the idea behind the kanji which i have found other books dont.

all i can say really is BUY THIS BOOK!! its so interesting and suprisingly easy!!! to understand and learn and actually remember!!
on 3 November 2005
First the good points. For learning kana (the phonetic scripts of hiragana and katakana) this book has good sections and exercises. It also has the best system for learning Kanji I've seen, not that i've seen them all. It builds up with simple nature derived Kanji and gruadually builds up. You won't find this an any textbook.
However, you will not learn the readings for Kanji which is a very important point. You will also not have very good ability at identifying the parts within kanji, vital to understand more complex ones.
Another point of note is that this book does not, nor pretend to, teach any Japanese. By using this book, even by the end you will not be able to produce even a simple sentence.
While I do reccommend this book, it is not by itself but as part of a wide range of books to use.
on 12 July 2003
As a novice speaker and writer of Japanese, I thought that learning the script would be either very difficult, very time consuming, or both. This is not the case! With limited but regular study and a notebook to write down all new kanji and kana, I was very pleasantly surprised to find myself remembering how to read and write a variety of kanji. The hiragana and katakana sections were also very useful, as many tips are given to help remember similar looking characters. Obviously the book cannot go into great depth because of the huge number of kanji that exist, but the basics are covered and the introduction of the use of radicals in later lessons paves the way for further study. There are also helpful suggestions throughout to aid learning, and many exercises to improve kanji recogniion. Overall, a worthwhile purchase!
on 21 May 2006
Ok, I've had this book for quite some time now and finally decided to review it. This book is a fantastic little resource for those who want to learn to read Japanese script. Which, is an important factor if you want to learn the language properly.

This book teaches you about Kanji and also the fundamentals of both hiragana and katagana. In simple and easy to follow activities as well as end of chapter tests.

However, if you want to learn about reading and writing Japanese - I do suggest other more indepth books. But for the absolute beginner, this is a good place to start.
on 7 July 2005
From a total beginner to Japanese script, this book was great. It takes you through the very basic kanji first, giving great mnemonics to help you remeber them. It teaches you about compound Kanji also, and how they are made up. The book also takes you through Hiragana and Katakana with tables and exercises to help you remeber. It goes at a good pace and has little exercises and end of chapter tests. Overall a great buy !
on 12 July 2004
This book introduces the beautiful and complex Japanese written language in a simple and basic manner. It won't take you too far but there are other books out there to do that. I was a complete beginner and the pace of this book is just perfect.
Buy it along with a CD-Rom for the basic spoken language side of things and take it nice and slow.
on 23 July 2003
Beginners Japanese Script, makes the learning of writing Japanese very accessible and entertaining. It uses an entertaining system of pictures to help the reader memorise the Kanji symbols.
This book is likely to be useful for all beginners in Japanese writing. Having practised many of the exercises within has made me feel that being literate in Japanese is not totally unrealistic. It is also likely to be helpful in the reading of signs in Japan.
This book is probably as good an introduction to learning to write Japanese as is possible without a teacher.
on 30 July 2003
Having bought this book as a complete novice, it has taken my step-by-step through both Kanji and Kana. MUST BUY!
on 22 November 2015
A good book, slightly let down for me by pandering to the Americans. This is a UK teacher that uses US terms I really don't understand. Perhaps I don't watch enough American TV but I do wish British authors would use UK terms and make the Yanks understand our terminology and not try to force us to understand theirs. It would have been better had she used British terms with US equivalents in parentheses, which she did in one or two cases but not consistently. To be fair, she is not helped by the Japanese using kanji that reflect American terms such as 高校 (high school) but perhaps that's what happens when you come second in a war?
The only other criticism I could really make is that it would have been better had the author included more kanji - there are 2,136 standard characters but she introduces only a small fraction of that number. There are other books that cover the entire standard set and more very well but this book is a good starting point and the thinking behind remembering the radicals is better than the other books I've seen. All in all, even given it's shortcomings, well worth buying.
on 5 September 2009
I am half way through this book and I am really proud to have finally mastered Hiragana and figured out a fair bit of Kanji. I think this is a great book for learning to read and I've really enjoyed it too. I think that with Japanese writing being so difficult it is quite nice to concentrate only on the reading for a while. You can also practise writing and all of the pronunciation of the words are at the back of the book if you want them.

I would really recommend this book to anyone who wants to be able to go to Japan and read a little of their seemingly impossible three scripts. I am really happy I bought it.