on 25 August 2006
I really like the lay out of this book. I felt I learnt quite a lot of Indonesian and I enjoyed reading all the cultural information that the authors included. The dialogues were very helpful and actually relevant, which makes a nice surprise. I think it helps that Indonesian isn't a particularly difficult language, but even so I found this book very useful indeed. The content is suitable for anyone (novices to linguists) because it covers the right amount of vocabulary. So if you're going to Indonesia then you must by this book- don't just expect everyone to speak English!
on 28 June 2010
I used this book and CD set last year and it has really improved my vocabulary and confidence in speaking Indonesian. I found the CDs invaluable. A great way of learning pronunciation. I copied the audio files onto my phone so I could listen to them anytime and anywhere. I only wish I could find the audio to accompany Bahasa Indonesia Book 1: Introduction to Indonesian Language and Culture (Periplus Language Books): Bk.1 as I am now studying this. Also, the audio to Bahasa Indonesia Book 2: Introduction to Indonesian Language and Culture (Periplus Language Books) would be good to have. I have scoured the internet looking for these without success.

As far as I can tell, this book is the same as Complete Indonesian with Two Audio CDs: A Teach Yourself Guide (Teach Yourself: Reference), the contents look identical.

The audio on some of the lessons is a bit quick, but I suggest you get used to it. Indonesian is spoken quickly. It will still take me years to be able to understand what people are saying during a normal conversation but this book has helped me learn a lot. Keep learning!
on 27 August 2009
This is a very simple and practical introduction to Indonesian language. The book teaches you useful and relevant phrases for day to day conversation, as well as cultural information, and the CD alows you to take the part of the speakers in conversations. My only small criticism is that the pauses in the dialogues are sometimes too short for you to say your bit, which is annoying when I am practising in the car and cannot pause the CD! Overall a good purchase, recommended.
on 18 December 2012
I have found this book really helpful in improving my vocabulary and use of the Indonesian language; I previously got it from the library so I already had a copy of the cds which come with it and are very useful for pronunciation. The only criticism I have is that sometimes with the exercises if you are wrong it can be unclear why, there is no explanation as to why the answer is what it is. Also I have to admit I have started this book twice from the beginning and both times have got stuck/bored around the same chapter (beautiful batik) and am still yet to finish...also the grammar points could be explained a little more clearly.
on 4 November 2003
The books wrote by Christoper Byrnes and Eva Nyimas is very good book. The book also described the culture and equipped by pictures. Every chapter also equipped by picture of topic being explained how Indonesian poeple behave. This book is very helpfull for the foreigners who will learn more about Indonesian language. It is not like other book, Christ and Eva tried to explain the culture as well.