5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and enchanting

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a small book and a little disappointing
Published on 24 Jun. 2010 by mike of brockley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and enchanting, 1 Jun. 2010
I have been a fan of Oscar Wilde ever since I read Lady Windermere's Fan in English. From then I have read his entire works and his biography and even named my cat after him. But I admit I only read his children's stories for the first time about ten years ago and I'm glad I was an adult when I first read them. They are so beautifully written I'm not sure if I would have properly appreciated the stories before then. Unlike the fairy tales I was told as a child most of them are quite sad at the end, so may not be suitable for very young children.
These stories were originally written for Oscar's own children and show another side of the Oscar Wilde we have come to know. Each one is equally as enchanting and filled with unmistakable morality. Definitely tales to treasure.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a small book and a little disappointing, 24 Jun. 2010
The stories are obviously great,and are available in print in lots of books, so I just wanted to advise that this book is very small and the illustrations, which are really what is supposed to be the point of buying this book, are very disappointing, small, poorly printed and difficult to appreciate. The 'look inside' feature on this page makes them look better than they are in print. I would say look for a more lavishly illustrated version elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 23 May 2012
I have been reading thse stories to my seven year old son. The selfish giant was recommended to me, so I decided to buy the book of short stories which included it rather than the single book. The selfish giant was fab and we really enjoyed it. they are on the whole very deep and dark. My son is enjoying listening to them, though i find them quite heavy to read out loud. They are certainly memorable. it has been an interesting journey through the book! Would certainly recommend the Selfish Giant to other readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A children book no childshould read but every adult should, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Oscar Wilde Stories For Children (Classic Stories) (Paperback)
Read it first time in my early 20s. Have not allowed my children to read it as children. My 17 yrs oldread it now and was so moved. As myself, hewill never forget it.. What a way to combine children story with true reality. Scary and so realistic. OW as his best

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 23 Mar. 2012
I brought this book as a starter to introduce myself info the writings of Oscar Wilde. His story telling is unsuall and has undercurrents of darkness.

5.0 out of 5 stars what have i been reading instead?, 30 Jan. 2014
who knew that oscar wilde was such a talented writer. most of the world it turns out. including children. the stories are full of ideas but for me it's the language and the characters. in a crass comparison, it's a bit like watching 'toy story' as an adult, children and adults enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A surpising little sweet book, 25 Jun. 2011
I only ever knew Oscar wild for "Dorian Grey" and I was pleasantly surpise to come across this little pearl of a book. I read it in a session and every story left me with a mixture of sadness joy and awe.. my kids loved the stories too.

5.0 out of 5 stars first class!, 10 Mar. 2014
This is a brilliant little book for 8-12 year olds and beautifully illustrated! It arrived on time, at a good price and very well packed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably one of the best collections of children stories, 24 Jan. 2015
Probably one of the best collections of children stories. Oscar wildes flair and literary genius is inspiring. I use this as a teaching resource for my younger pupils and they are engaged with every story. I highly recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Oscar Wilde is a wonderful story teller, 25 July 2012
This book is a wonderful collection of short stories of Oscar Wilde and remains a popular favourite with children and adults alike.

Timeless, and a joy to read. The supplier was first class providing an excellent service.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Oscar Wilde Stories For Children (Classic Stories)
Oscar Wilde Stories For Children (Classic Stories) by P J Lynch (Paperback - 7 Dec. 2000)