5.0 out of 5 stars A cosy and comforting read.
Published on 30 Aug 2007 by Joanne Schofield

2.0 out of 5 stars It could have been.
So. So. SO... I wish I could give this book more stars because the author was clearly full of good intentions and I hate being a bitch to nice people with good intentions, you know? But this book, despite being a nice, enjoyable summer read, has too many things which are wrong wrong wrong. I don't even know where to start.

I've never been into chick lit. I...
Published on 3 Feb 2009 by Blandine Demailly

5.0 out of 5 stars A cosy and comforting read., 30 Aug 2007
Joanne Schofield (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me and Mr. Darcy (Paperback)
Emily is an American who's had enough of modern day men, instead she loves to settle down with her copy of Pride and Prejudice and step into the past when men were real men. Horrified at the thought of going to Mexico for a week of partying with her best friend she manages to grab the last place on a Jane Austen tour in the UK, in freezing December. She starts to regret her rash decision when she realises the trip is full of pensioners and one rude journalist, but then when she meets Mr Darcy her week starts to look up....

What a fab idea for a book. Potter has created some great characters - I loved all the 'oldies' on the tour, and I also really enjoyed the spookiness of the mysterious Mr Darcy appearing from nowhere. This was a really easy to read book - one of those ones which you start and before you know it you've read about 100 pages without even realising. Lovely cosy descriptions of winter in the UK, lots of likable and endearing characters, tons of references to Jane Austen and an entertaining and enjoyable plot make this book a really great one.

If you're in the mood for a fun, light hearted read then I highly recommend this book. However if you're an obsessive Jane Austen fan who can't bear to see any of her characters in the 21st Century then you're probably better off avoiding this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous few hours, 14 Jun 2007
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Me and Mr. Darcy (Paperback)
Mr Darcy may be every woman's fantasy but meeting this gorgeous specimen of a man reveals more to Emily Albright than she'd bargained for. This book is witty, enjoyable and engaging. Working in a job she loves (a book shop); she spends more time with her head buried between the covers of classics than embracing modern life. With a string of disastrous dates behind and an unwillingness to embark on the latest fashion item she is an unlikely heroine.

Invited to attend Mexico with her outrageous friend, she opts for a tour of England, in particular Jane Austen country. The trip leads to misery, heart break and a soul searching experience bound up with fabulous romance and fiction. I loved this book and knowledge of `Pride and Prejudice' is not necessary as extracts are used throughout the book.

I'm so pleased I read this and in places it reminded me of `The History of Lucy's Love Life in 10.5 Chapters'. A good plot, believable characters, excellent narrative - what more could you want from a few hours curled up on the sofa?

2.0 out of 5 stars It could have been., 3 Feb 2009
Blandine Demailly (Pas-de-Calais) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me and Mr. Darcy (Paperback)

I've never been into chick lit. I mean, I do love `Bridget Jones' but that's as far as it goes really. Unless you count classics like "Pride & Prejudice" as chick lit, then fair enough. Anyway, I got "Me & Mr Darcy" as a birthday present after adding it to my Amazon list. "Pride & Prejudice" is one of my favourite classics, and I was looking for some more Mr Darcy to keep the fantasy going. The summary for this book seemed nice enough, and I was secretly jealous of the very pretty girl on the cover, so I went for this one.

At first I really enjoyed it. It was an easy read - something I'm not really used to - and interesting enough. But then she started quoting excerpts of "Pride and Prejudice" and it annoyed me a little. Especially since it was followed right after by a completely similar experience for Emily, the main character, I had a feeling that the author expected me to be stupid and not understand the parallel by myself.

Emily. She works at a book shop and claims to be a bookworm. Mmm... Thing is, throughout the whole book she sounds like a total idiot. She gets annoyed whenever someone assumes she is stupid because she is American, but to be honest it is not far from the truth at all is it? I don't think there's any depth to her character. She really seemed empty and superficial to me. Perhaps it's a cliché, but I would expect someone who says they read a lot to be slightly more intelligent.

Then you've got Spike. How are you supposed to go from a detestable man to a man who's not perfect but still perfect in his own way anyway? I thought the transition was pretty quick from one extreme to the other, and the harsh description of Spike made it very hard to suddenly like him. He sounded more ridiculous than sweet.

Finally, the whole Mr Darcy daydreaming was really odd. It was almost uncomfortable. It made me cringe too, because Mr Darcy sounded quite silly at times - and Emily sounded like the cool person which she herself claims not to be - and I don't feel that's the way Jane Austen described him. He was proud and brooding, yes, but well-educated. I just cannot picture Mr Darcy throwing rocks at a window to catch a woman's attention. Moreover, the whole `is it true / is it not?' plot was kind of awkward.

On the whole, and contrary to appearances, I don't think it was that bad a book. It could have been much worse. But the original novel is such a classic that I don't think that it could work. If the book was not so obviously linked to "Pride & Prejudice", I'm sure I would have made a shorter list for what I do not like. But here I cannot help but compare it to the Jane Austen novel and of course it's not as good. Maybe the solution would be for the Austen fans like me to stop wishing for a sequel, to admit that Mr Darcy's and Elizabeth's lives stopped when Jane Austen wrote down the last full stop and that it is up to our imagination to come up with our sequels. And stop buying "Pride & Prejudice"-related books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Potter has the distinction of writing one of the silliest books in the country!, 26 Aug 2007
This review is from: Me and Mr. Darcy (Paperback)
I had walked past this book in the bookshop a few times and been attracted to the title. Everyone loves Mr Darcy, so whilst I thought it would inevitably be very silly eventually I picked it up to buy it.

The book starts off well with a likeable and funny main character. I liked the idea of her going on a Jane Austen book tour in England, as well as her 'fish out of water' scenarios.

Unfortunately the worst bits in this book are the bits that I most looked forward to: when the heroine meets 'Mr Darcy'. Except don't expect anything like Jane Austen's celebrated character to appear, as the Mr Darcy is bland, dull and not half so attractive as Jane Austen's creation. Whilst this is Potter's point- that reality is better than fiction, all is not what it seems, blah blah blah- it does leave you feeling disappointed. Instead Potter recreates Mr Darcy's character through Spike, a cynical journalist. Which is all very well, but why she had to turn Mr Darcy into a boring dud is beyond me. Since when, for example, did Mr Darcy ponce around reciting poetry aloud to women?! Anyone who is a fan of Pride and Prejudice will know that this is NOT something Mr Darcy would ever do!

But then the whole thing is far-fetched, and so cringingly predictable. For someone who is supposed to be obsessed with Pride and Prejudice, the heroine is incredibly stupid not to realise that all of the action mirrors the events of the novel. As well as using whole extracts from P&P, Potter has her characters paraphrasing throughout the novel. This makes is painfully obvious to readers exactly what is going to happen, yet our heroine doesn't notice.

And (don't read the next two paragraphs if you're going to buy the book) the ending is ludicrious, beyond farce. The heroine reckons that the real Mr Darcy in the book actually falls in love with her because there is a gap in Pride and Prejudice when Mr Darcy leaves Netherfield. Potter is really insulting her readers' intelligence here. Firstly- what 'gap' is she talking about? Mr Darcy leaves Netherfield with Mr Bingley and stays with Mr Bingley in London! We know this because he mentions it later in his letter to Elizabeth! Secondly, Mr Darcy has already met and started to be captivated by Elizabeth by the time he leaves Netherfield so there is no way he'd fall in love with Potter's moron character in between! Potter would have us believe that the 'real' Mr Darcy is actually very fickle as well as boring.

I can understand writing a book as a homage to Pride and Prejudice- Helen Fielding does it very well in Bridget Jones's Diary. But to go so far as to change the facts of the original classic- saying that Mr Darcy loved this American girl as well as Elizabeth- that is really pushing it too far!

I won't deny that this book has some funny moments, and that it started off well. This book was always going to be very silly, but it had so much more potential. Instead of providing an entertaining and charming return of one of literature's most famous heroes, it leaves you slightly bored and certainly disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars A typical 'girly' read, 9 Aug 2010
This review is from: Me and Mr. Darcy (Paperback)
This is certainly a typical `girly' read- romantic, funny and light-hearted. We all need to escape reality occasionally and this book provides the perfect escape route. I found it easy to get into and just as easy to get out of, which is good if you're not after a deep, thought-provoking read.

The hopeless romantic and protagonist of the story is a twenty-something bookworm called Emily Albright. In love with Mr Darcy and sick of dating modern, impolite men, she ends up on a Jane Austen tour in rural England and it is there that she comes face-to-face with the real Mr Darcy. As someone who thinks all men should take lessons from Darcy on how to treat women, I was rather taken aback by Emily's judgement of his character towards the end of the book. But then I suppose, not even Mr Darcy can please every woman. As the tour progresses, Emily makes some good friends but she is given a number of things to mull over such as the threat of losing her job and her confused feelings towards a particular someone.

I found the storyline entertaining yet in some places, rather predictable, which as I'm sure you know, takes all the fun out of reading. The characters are amusing and witty but admittedly I thought Emily's character was a little too unoriginal. She's very similar to other hopeless romantics I've come across in this genre- a bit nerdy, enjoys reading, has an awful fashion sense, isn't afraid to stay in on a Friday night, has a good job and is clumsy not just physically but verbally too. If I'm being honest its characters like Emily, who usually make me keep well away from this genre but seeing Mr Darcy's name on the front cover, I just couldn't resist buying the book.

I was rather disappointed by the ending, not because it's happy but because it's a bit too happy. Trust me, I have nothing against this type of ending but when everything works out slightly too conveniently and when all the characters get a `happily ever after' ending, then I have a problem. Books like this should have a warning sticker on their front cover, alerting readers to prepare themselves for what my media teacher always referred to as `cheesy endings'.

Whilst this book probably wouldn't come anywhere near my top ten of favourite books, it was at least a light-hearted and entertaining read and there are times when that can seem heavenly. But in the meantime I think I'll stick to more serious and thought-provoking material.

3.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing "read", 27 April 2009
This review is from: Me and Mr. Darcy (Paperback)
This is my first Alexandra Potter, and the first time I have read this kind of book (i.e. Darcy-fan fantasy)and I very much enjoyed most of the time I spent between the pages.

My one big grumble concerns the language of Emily (the leading lady) and Spike (her leading man) generously peppered with F-words! So - if I sound straight-laced - Tough! - for some other form of expressive word could have been substituted to do the same job. Modern-day folks are able to express themselves without cussin' so bluntly, and somehow the frequent lapses also tainted the effect of the blooming "P & P" modern-day storyline, for the developing story of Emily and Spike is symbolic of the Darcy/Elizabeth romance, which Jane Austen managed to write without the use of aggressive manners of expression.
This book is advertised as a "romance", a "fairytale". There's nothing either romantic or fairytale-like about frequent swearing, even nowadays. End of sermon.

One "fairytale" aspect for Emily (and us) remains, though - I won't spoil that by revealing too much, but I loved it's contribution to Emily's happy ending.

Despite losing a star for use of THAT word ... well worth a nose-down!

1.0 out of 5 stars This is one bad, bad book, 1 Jan 2008
J. Card (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me and Mr. Darcy (Paperback)
I started this book, looking for an amusing read. However was disappointed to read terrible stereotypes of English people and a badly replicated Jane Austen storyline. Despite funny bits in places, i was wenching in places at this awfully written story....i was very disappointed to waste my time and my money on this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, fun and delightfully romantic, 10 Jan 2009
This review is from: Me and Mr. Darcy (Paperback)
Having loved Be Careful What You Wish For by Alexandra Potter, I was really looking forward to reading this book too and I wasn't disappointed. Emily Albright is a true romantic and a manager of a small bookshop in New York and rather than go on a New Year break with her friend and work colleague to Mexico, Emily decides to go on a Jane Austen book tour of England. After finding that she is one of the youngest people on the tour, Emily loves her holiday and her holiday gets even better when she meets her ideal man, Mr Darcy who she finds is everything she thought he would be.

I loved this book, and couldn't put it down. Alexandra has a way of describing her characters perfectly, so much so that you empathise totally with her heroines and care about the other characters in the book too. It was wonderful to read more about Jane Austen too and learn more about the historical houses and places featured in Pride and Predujice. I loved the way there were so many comparisons with P & P and the situations Emily found herself in on the tour.

This is a fantastic book for everyone who loves a romantic novel, especially Jane Austen stories, chicklit and are fans of Mr Darcy. Read and enjoy - its a real gem.

My next mission is to read some more of Alexandra's books and I can honestly say that she is now one of my favourite authors.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, repetitive and annoying!, 11 Aug 2007
L. Waddington (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me and Mr. Darcy (Paperback)
From the start: Opening is ok, easy to get into and in places a little funny, but it all goes downhill after the first couple of chapters. The main character is meant to be American, and while she does constantly (annoyingly) keep pointing this out to us, the author seems to forget this in places - slipping from using American to British phrases throughout. Although not a massive disaster, it does become extremely annoying and blindingly obvious as you read on.

The whole plot and her style of writing is awful, I had to force myself to keep reading the book despite having no interest in it whatsoever. As a reader who can get through a 700 page Jodi Picoult novel in a few days, this says a lot! Some of you out there may like it - it is a light (very light) read and some of the thoughts of the main character are funny. However, they are played upon enormously, lines and phrases repeated throughout the whole book. Most annoyingly, the author actually spells out the plot and sub-plots for us, as if we are too stupid to see something so obvious for ourselves. If she would have left us to work out some of the links, the book would perhaps have a bit more mystery and a bit more going for it.

I personally think it is a waste of time, she should have written a book about the dating mis-haps she so quickly skips over in the first few pages.

As for links to P&P, this got in the way of the story. You set out reading thinking that the book is all about the woes of modern day dating, Mr Darcy being her saviour. But quickly realise it is a very poor rip-off of P&P, which to be perfectly honest reads as though it has been written by a school girl for an English assignment!

2.0 out of 5 stars An interesting premise but no real substance, 3 July 2007
RE Thomas - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me and Mr. Darcy (Paperback)
This was a really interesting idea for a book. However it was poorly executed.

I felt that the main character, Emily's ignorance of Mr Darcy's world completely unbelievable for a supposed Austen obsessive and that after a slow start, that the ending was very rushed. Neither of the male love interests seemed to be very vivid and I didn't feel any sympathy for the heroine. Not a good sign for a romance story!

Some of the sub-plots were poorly developed and much more interesting than the main story, a long-lost child, love in a Green card marriage, a forgotten actress.

All in all I wouldn't recommend.

Me and Mr. Darcy
Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter (Paperback - 28 Jun 2007)
7.14
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available