4.0 out of 5 stars Well written psychological thriller
Published on 4 Feb 2007 by joc66

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let-down to be honest...
Published on 7 July 2011 by Nicola F (Nic)

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let-down to be honest..., 7 July 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1 (Paperback)
I'm not going to summarise the plot of this book as that has been done a lot on here already, but I would like to add my two pence worth after finishing this book earlier today and being a bit irritated by it! To be honest, the more and more I think about it, the more faults I start to find with it- and I'd expected it to be such a cracking read from all the accolades sent its way and it being (very highly) billed as a `psychological thriller.'

I suppose it's a good thing that the book did make me think when I'd finished it and I did like the premise of the novel very much when I picked it up- it's just that after a really promising (but very slow) start I felt that this book just grew a bit odd and fell a bit flat somewhere towards the middle. Also, after creating her characters and making them behave a certain way, Sophie Hannah seemed to turn them completely on their heads with no rhyme or reason- David (the husband) for example, suddenly became unquestionably evil and resorted to deplorable mind games to punish his wife and police Detective Charlie became a spiteful b*tch! I get what Hannah was trying to achieve, really I do, it's just that it wasn't tied in to the story particularly well and I was left gritting my teeth in frustration. Also, I didn't particularly like Alice, the main protagonist very much either- particularly towards the end of the novel. You feel like after you have invested time in getting to know her, everything is switched around- and whilst I like the unreliable narrator as much as the next person, in this book it just wasn't tied together very neatly.

The ending was a bit rushed and disconnected and whilst Sophie Hannah can admittedly write rather sinister characters and create sinister sounding situations, I just found myself getting a bit frustrated by events and the continuous jumps forwards and backwards in time. Some of the characters actions as well, became a bit questionable and some things were never fully resolved- in particular David's (the husband's) absolutely evil behaviour. The reader is just left hanging in the final chapter- shouldn't he be punished in some way for his actions?! Argh! What an anti-climax.

As I've said, it's a shame that the ending to this book was so poor- after the build up and twists and turns it just fell short at the final hurdle. If you like stories told by unreliable narrators then I'd possibly recommend this book to you as you genuinely don't know who to believe or what is going on. The book wasn't bad exactly, for me it was just nowhere near as good as I'd hoped- hence the two stars. I probably won't be rushing to read another one of Sophie Hannah's books in future however- I'd been told they were rather formulaic and unfortunately the other reviews on here seem to confirm that notion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very similar to other Hannah books, 7 Nov 2009
This review is from: Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1 (Paperback)
I recently read Hannah's The Other Half Lives and found it literally unputdownable and was a little surprised at some of the less positive reviews. Having now read Little Face, her first book, I wonder if that's less to do with the books themselves and more about the way each of her books seems to duplicate itself in terms of story, structure and writing style. So maybe the first of her books you read is great, and then there are diminishing returns with the second, third etc?

Little Face has an intriguing beginning: Alice has just had a traumatic birth and she comes home from her first outing to claim that the baby in her house is not hers, that Florence has been swapped for a strange child while her husband has been asleep. No-one believes her: not her husband or his controlling mother with whom they live, or the police. Then, a week later, Alice and the baby go missing and the police are forced to confront her story, uncovering an earlier crime associated with the same family.

Hannah makes good use of elements from classic gothic: what goes on in the privacy of houses (e.g. Wuthering Heights, Thornfield Grange), the difference between the public and private faces of people (e.g.The Tenant of Wildfell Hall), and twists ideas of motherhood and the bonds of love. However her style is a little pedestrian, and the structure of both books I've read very similar: a first-person narrative interspersed with a third-person narrative from the police persepective. This does serve to increase the tension as bits of the story are with-held from us, but becomes quite contrived.

I also found the relationship between the police officers and the character of especially Charlie to be unnecessary and distracting. I was unconvinced that Charlie, who came over as petty, spiteful and vindictive, could also be as brilliant at her job as we're told she is. Perhaps this relationship was spoilt by the fact I'd read a later book and knew where it was heading.

So, in summary, this is an intriguing book which doesn't quite deliver: the dénouement, especially, was pretty limp, and lots of issues were started and never really followed up (e.g. Alice's husband's behaviour). A good read but not brilliant and, if you've read any other Hannah, fairly predictable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written psychological thriller, 4 Feb 2007
joc66 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1 (Paperback)
It must be a nightmare to come home after leaving your baby for the first time, to find that the infant you return to is not the one you left. Even more so when you cannot convince those around you, who put your story down to post-natal depression. This is the starting point for this well-written psychological thriller. It is written in two voices, that of the mother, and of one of the detectives who is sent to investigate the mystery at "The Elms", (the home of Alice's mother-in-law, and devoted grandmother of 'little face'). This 'dual voice' actually works well and the pages turn swiftly. This is a gripping read.

The ultimate resolution is perhaps slightly predictable, although it is always easier to set up mysteries than to resolve them satisfactorily. However, the characters are sufficiently believable, and the steps towards reaching the conclusion are sufficiently intricate to make this an enjoyable, if slightly disturbing read. The scenes played out between Alice and her husband are particularly chilling. I will certainly look out for Sophie Hannah's next novel. I wonder, incidentally, if she will give the detectives in this novel a second outing, as there is certainly scope to develop their characters further!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ending, 22 Mar 2012
This review is from: Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1 (Paperback)
I absolutely loved it - couldn't put it down UNTIL got to about forty pages from the end and it all turned into nonsense. I agree with an earlier reviewer - the fact that whole swathes of the book were told in the first person just made a complete nonsense of the denouement, if you could call it that. There really wasn't a twist at the end. It was always going to be one of two outcomes and it was just one of them. No surprise at all.

I will probably try another one of Sophie Hannah's books. But I won't be rushing to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let down, 30 Aug 2009
Reading the back of this book i was looking forward to reading it and the mystery it was going to tell. The book was okay however when it ended it left lots of questions. I didnt understand the relevance of some the detail in the book for example the way her husband treated her - by the end of the book this was irrelevant it seemed and didnt go anywhere. The twist at the end was disapointing as well, i was expecting something far more exciting and that it had happened for a better reason. I felt this book was a bit like a balloon, the suspense growing and growing and then bang it popped and was all gone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on Hurting Distance, 21 Oct 2008
Love Books "Jessie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1 (Paperback)
I couldn't wait to read this after Hurting Distance, but although it started off really well, I found myself enjoying it less and less as it progressed and by the end I felt completely let down and rather uncomfortable. The narrator seems convinced that her baby has been swapped with a different child. Her husband believes she's mistaken, and then turns out to be some kind of weird sadist which is really unpleasant to read, and the only other main character is his manipulative and controlling mother. So one of those two has to be the baddie and as they're both so vile there's not as much tension as there should be. The plot doesn't hang together, as other reviewers have said the vital revelations about the murderer are completely unfeasible SPOILER COMING - would a really intelligent person (as we're told a million times the murderer is) hide the one piece of evidence that could convict her in her own handbag? I think not. I've given it two stars because Sophie Hannah is a really good writer, but honestly I wouldn't bother.

2.0 out of 5 stars pointless page-turning once again..., 27 Feb 2011
This review is from: Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1 (Paperback)
I read Sophie's 'A room swept white' and was hugely dissapointed. But I bought both books at the same time so I thought I'll give her another try. Well...I'm done with her books for good.
The novel is definetely a page-tuner, I read it in one day. So was 'a room swept white'. But the ending here is just a huge dissapointment, characters are extreme and all of them could use a good psychiatrist! And don't get me even started about the husband!Why, on Earth would he suddenly turn into such a saddist after never showing any signs of that? His behavior does not add anything to the book at all ...well it shocks so if that was Sophie's goal - achieved! SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS The initial investigation about Laura's murder was obviosuly done by incompetent detectives, and knowing it was Charlie I am not surprised at all as she seems to think very highly of herself without a proper foundation for that. Why would Vivianne not shred the bag into tiny,little pieces; burn it; take it with her to Africa and leave it in the middle of a tropical rainforest...well that I just don't know! Instead she chose to keep it in her locker as a souvenir? Ridiculous and unrealistic! This is not a good psychological thriller but a decent ending could have reedemed it a little...if only there was one!
I give it two starts as it was a page-turner, pointless one but still. I don't plan to read any more books of Sophie Hannah.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, most gripping thriller I've read for years, 15 Nov 2006
This review is from: Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1 (Paperback)
I read a lot of crime and thrillers, and I have to say this one blew me away. The writing is as clear, beautiful and compelling as the plot is complex, and the ending, when the truth is revealed, literally made the hairs on my arms stand up, it was so exciting. I then thought back over everything I'd read and realised how expertly the end of the novel was woven into the very beginning, though of course I hadn't spotted it at the time. Though very different to Daphne Du Maurier's 'Rebecca', this book reminded me of 'Rebecca' and is certainly as good. I would say 'Little Face' is destined to become a classic of the spine-tingling thriller genre.

2.0 out of 5 stars LITTLE FACE, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1 (Paperback)
Though I wouldn't go as far as to describe this as a good psychological thriller in some ways it was an adequate psychological thriller, I even quite enjoyed how we were left hanging as to just who (mother-in-law, Vivienne, husband, David, or indeed Alice herself) was the true villain of the story. However, overall a disappointing read ruined by totally unconvincing characters and an increasingly implausible plot that is peppered with inconsistencies, Little Face could have been so, so much better.

The story of a family living in what sounds like the lap of luxury. Living in a huge house and with the money to enrol the as yet unborn Florence/Little Face in an exclusive (and presumably expensive) public school we are then expected to believe that instead of a private room Alice spends the post-delivery period of her baby in a multi-bedded ward.

And it doesn't end there.

From the totally unprofessional police, to the health care professionals who seem to totally disregard the very idea of patient confidentiality to main character, David, who, a bit of a bully from the outset, seemingly turns into a sadistic monster overnight.

Great premise, its just a shame that the writing was quite amateurish, the redeeming twist that would have made it all worthwhile never delivered.

Copyright: Petty Witter @ Pen and Paper.
Little Face

2.0 out of 5 stars Sophie Hannah, Little Face, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1 (Paperback)
Clever plot, really nicely written, but it would have been good to be able to follow at least one 'normal', sympathetic character. Why were all of them so excessively flawed? I could not engage, and for the first time in five years gave the book to a charity shop without bothering to finish it.

Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1
Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1 by Sophie Hannah (Paperback - 24 Aug 2006)
5.59