5.0 out of 5 stars A vivid portrayal of love and politics in medieval England
Published on 5 Feb. 2002 by Sarah Allen

2.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story. Appalling editing.
Published 11 months ago by Paul M Thomson

5.0 out of 5 stars A vivid portrayal of love and politics in medieval England, 5 Feb. 2002
Sarah Allen "Sassafras" (Wedmore, Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have just re-read this book for the third time,having fallen in love with it many years ago in my early teens.Anya Seton's characterisation of the people thronging this book is its main strength, but the historical research places it firmly in its period and really brings those times to vivid life for the reader, without being stuffy or worthy. Anya Seton draws the reader into the medieval world of England as it really must have been, describing life for the rich and poor, and those in between, in a way that is completely credible. Katherine's story is amazing and uplifting, and of course the fact that it is true makes it all the more entrancing. If you believe in 'love conquers all' and enjoy stories set in the past, this is the novel for you. A real page-turner that will make you wish you had a time machine to travel back to Katherine's era. I can't recommend the novel highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great medieval love story, 6 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
Katherine de Roet, mistress and later wife of John of Gaunt, son of Edward III, through her children by John is the ancestress of just about every Royal English line - Plantagenets, Tudors and Stuarts. I first read this book when I was in my early teens and am still reading it 40 years later. Jewel bright in its descriptions, it takes the reader through turbulent times in the 14th century. So much we can never know, but it seems that the affair between Katherine and John was a great love story - they eventually married. It inspired me to visit her tomb in Lincoln Cathedral and the little Lincolnshire village of Kettlethorpe where she once lived. Was she as beautiful as the book implies? I would have loved to have met her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still love it, 8 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Katherine (Paperback)
I recently read Alison Weir's excellent book about Katherine Swynford. It is meticulously researched, particularly bearing in mind the very little concrete information that exists about Katherine, and produces a fascinating portrait. It was, however, also hard to read because I have loved Anya Seton's novel since I was a teenager and unfortunately Alison Weir's book does expose some fairly irrefutible flaws in Seton's historical details. So, I was unsure when I picked up the novel again whether it would still hold the same charm for me, and am so pleased that it did. It's little like having one's eyes opened to the faults of a loved one - if they're worth it you still love them anyway - perhaps even more so. What is important for me is that the biography has done nothing to detract from the portrayal of the main characters - if anything it enhances, and as for accurate historical detail - well, this is a novel, and still a good one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 'Faction' Book, 25 May 2009
This review is from: Katherine (Paperback)
One of the best and most historically accurate 'faction' books I've read in a long time. Keeps your interest and attention throughout. You really get involved with all the characters but you'll find yourself rooting for some more then others. Could not put it down once I started reading it and when I finished found myself researching the historical people to see what actually happened to them in pages of history.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story. Appalling editing., 28 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Katherine (Kindle Edition)
I have been reading my books on Kindle for some years, but have never felt the need to write a review until now. I have loved this book for over 45 years and have read it over and over again with such enjoyment, so I was delighted to see that it was finally released on Kindle. Even after all these years the story is still compelling. The historical details bring the past to life in wonderful detail, and I have always had a real soft spot for John of Gaunt who I believe has been very badly treated by history. I could go on and on about all the reasons I love this book. But - (and yes I do know one shouldn't start a sentence with a but). ........ The quality of editing is truly appalling and it is so chock full of mis-spellings that it becomes a distraction from the story. Anya Seton wrote in beautiful, carefully crafted English, every word given weight and consideration, and the rich use of vocabulary is a joy. To find that this has been destroyed by typical 21st century shoddy carelessness is very upsetting. In this day and age, it isn't difficult to ensure text is copied accurately. So shame on whoever the editor was. You don't deserve your job, and you have ruined a truly wonderful book. Kindle -you really need to have this re-edited and re-released to us very quickly. By the way -sack the editor too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars History & Romance, 24 May 2005
Mrs. D. J. Smith "eowyngreenleaf" (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Anya Seton's Katherine is both a romance and an historical novel. It is the story of Katherine Sywnford (nee de Roet) and of course her romance with John of Gaunt, son of Edward III, from which union sprung the Beaufort line. The historical detail is good and characterisation is excellent. Some of the novel is seen from the view of Katherine's brother-in-law, Geoffrey Chaucer, and extracts of his poetry are used in chapter headings. Seton makes her characters sympathetic, but real. You can clearly see the attraction of the powerful John of Gaunt, but his faults not passed over and it is clear where the pride of the House of Beaufort came from! I found Seton's portrayal of Richard II to be quite unsympathetic, but this worked within the context of her story, so I shan't quibble too much as I did find this hard to put down once I got going!
The only thing I would really have liked would have been a bit more of an historical note at the end, in the style of Sharon Penman, giving a little more information on some of the characters and events. There is some of this in the introduction, for example on the existence of Blanchette, but I feel it would have been better at the end and enlarged on slightly. The only biography I have seen available on Katherine Swynford has been very short, and Seton says most of what we know of her is from where her life intersects with that of John of Gaunt, so I would be interested in knowing how Seton surmised other events she depicts, and her reasoning on decisions on the fate of Blanchette who has seemingly not been acknowledged by all historians.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition really bad!, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Katherine (Kindle Edition)
I have a hard copy of this book which I have read many times and has become very dog-eared, hence the purchase of a Kindle edition. The Kindle edition I have purchased is full of 'typos', spelling and grammatical errors, (practically on every third page minimum!). This appeared to have been typed by someone who didn't have much idea of the English Language and was certainly never proof read. I really think I should have my money back for this, is isn't fit to be sent out as a book! A huge disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAPTIVATING, 14 May 2006
N. Bishop "Nicola" (lincoln, england) - See all my reviews
Katherine shows anya seton as the billiant writer she is.You will fall in love with this book, with Katherine & with John o' Gaunt. Put it down if you can! A wonderfull love story, the love story to beat all others, although this story is hundreds of years old you are there with Katherine, through all her pain, misery, happiness & triumph, a truly amazing book about a truly amazing woman. I live in Lincoln & often find myself going to visit her tomb in Lincoln Cathedral, where her son Henry Beaufort was Bishop. You will read it time & again

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story spoiled by dreadful transcription, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Katherine (Kindle Edition)
I read this story back in the 70s and it is a wonderful, thoroughly researched (for the time of writing, 1954) account of the life of Katherine Swynford. I was looking forward to rediscovering it but the experience has been spoiled by truly dreadful transcription and a complete lack of proof reading. There are errors on practically every page, to such an extent that at one point I wondered if someone was having a laugh: 'the' is consistently rendered as 'die', and the substitution of 'sniff' for 'stick' and 'feces' for 'faces' has truly comical results. But I didn't want a laugh, I wanted to read the story and many words are simply unintelligible. It's really, really, annoying to pay good money for such poor quality work. I wondered if it was because it's an old book, but I recently read 2 other Anya Setons (Green Darkness, and The Winthrop Woman) and these were both fine. But frankly whoever was paid for proof reading this should find another career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Katyherine by Anya Seton, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Katherine (Paperback)
Philippa, betrothed to Geoffrey Chaucer and Katherine, her sister are provided for by Philippa of Hainault, wife of Edward III, after their father was knighted shortly before their death.

The years pass and Philippa arranges for her naïve 15 year-old convent bred sister to come to court, where her beauty, which even the most biased chroniclers of the age admitted was outstanding, attracts interest.

Anya Seton’s novel begins in the latter years of Edward III’s reign and continues into those of Richard IInd’s prior to the Duke of Lancaster’s exiled son, Henry Bolingbroke, deposing his cousin, Richard.

At the core of the novel is Katherine’s disastrous marriage to Hugh Swynford, an insensitive knight, and the passionate enduring, love between Katherine and John of Gaunt, the powerful, wealthy Duke of Lacaster who is loyal to his father, his eldest brother, Edward, Prince of Wales, the Black Prince and subsequently to Richard II.

In Anya Seton’s own words: “In telling this story of Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt, the great Duke of Lancaster, it has throughout been my anxious endeavour to use nothing but historical fact when these facts are known – and a great deal is known about the fourteenth century in England.

“I have based my story on acutal history and tried never to distort time, or place, or character to suit my convenience.”

Inside front cover: “Set in the vibrant 14th century of Chaucer and the Black Death, the novel features knights fighting in battle, serfs struggling in poverty and the magnificent Plantagenets…”

Daily Telegraph: ‘Miss Seton’s enthusiasm for both character and period is infectious. Katerine emerges a glowing, vital figure.”

The novel brings to life the economic, political and social history of the era. While reading I visualised the clothes, the food, the places, the royal family, noblemen and women, and people of every other degree.

Katherine is a feast of emotion, unrequited love and enduring love in spite of obstacles and moral dilemmas. It is a rich tapestry, a masterpiece which anyone who enjoys well-written, well-researched historical fiction cannot fail to enjoy.

Katherine
Katherine by Anya Seton (Paperback - 13 Mar. 2006)