4.0 out of 5 stars Action Adventure at it's best
From an author I'd never come across, this was a surprising discovery for me. Given to me as a birthday present, the little sticker on the front comparing it to Michael Ryan did not initially endear me to it.

However after reading the first chapter, I was immensly glad I stayed with it.

A combination of action adventure, mystery and thriller all...
Published on 11 Feb 2007 by Mpj Price

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear.
A plot that is let down by one dimensional characters performing on a one dimensional stage. badly Don't give up the day job.
Published 6 months ago by Tony Hip

5.0 out of 5 stars A wild ride, 30 May 2006
This review is from: Rage (Paperback)
I gulped it down in a two-sitting read; a hell of a ride into a world where all the rules are put on hold. A great cast of characters and electric setting; a sense of digging into the muck of conflict to get down to a stratum of intense hard-living. So satisfying, and heartening, to read a narrative with an edge and real freshness about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE RAGE, 3 May 2006
Nicola J. Quilter "nix" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rage (Paperback)
In the pace of London I often start a book, get some way into it, place it on the pile beside my bed and pretend I'll get back to it. RAGE is one book I couldn't put down.

A fragmented Dictatorship on the brink of invasion, the thin skin of order, power is money and life is worthless as the Dinar.

Jonah Said is blackmailed back into Iraq as a military observer patrolling the Demilitarized Zone - The Zone; The alchemy of lost humanity, poverty and relentless heat. A place where truth is like the sand and has as many heads. Where there is international cargo left unchecked there is big money to be made in chaos. The power to wipe out populations is traded but who is bidding?

The moment Jonah's world-weary feet hit the tarmac the ride begins without permission to refuel. Jonah has no idea how high the stakes are - how could he?

Ultimately we are all trapped in our own personal geography and love with honour is all that can save us.

For those who need an analogy... think Mohammad Bakri in 'Private' eating Apocalypse Now at John Pilger's ... obtuse? Then...Bruce Willis meets mission impossible!

I have now handed RAGE onto a friend. It will undoubtedly come back to me years later dog-eared, well travelled, loved by many, and happy to retire in my arms.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story but 49 pages were missing, 11 Nov 2010
This review is from: Rage (Paperback)
Don't normally see eye to eye with one-eyed Arab kidnappers but this time was different! Unfortunately the publisher took their eye off the ball and scuppered the story at page 310 by replacing the original text with 49 pages of a different book. I'm now scratching my head and trying to figure out whether its worth risking getting a replacement given all the hassle of posting the book back to Amazon
Is this a cunning plot by Amazon and their publishing buddies to boost their profits by steering people towards Kindle?

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a Hero, 18 July 2011
This review is from: Rage (Paperback)
RAGE is a tautly written thriller with pretensions to being more than it actually is. The story concerns a British Army officer named Jonah Said who is in disgrace after colluding in the kidnapping and beating of the man who cuckolded him. He is sent to "The Zone", a strip of international no-mans-land between Kuwait and Iraq, on the eve of the 2003 invasion of Iraq, to work for the UN. There he learns of the existence of a shipping container abandoned and forgotten during the 1991 war, which contains something of huge importance. Various factions pursue it and him as the action leaps to Baghdad and the last days of Saddam's Iraq.

The set up for this thriller is excellent, with The Zone, providing a superb setting and a number of interesting interested parties. The action is breathless and provided you don't stop you can dash through this and be very satisfied. But if you do stop you start to notice problems. Jonah has no motivation for most of the book, there are gaping plot holes and the whole thing draws further and further away from its realistic beginning until by the end it is very nearly a James Bond affair with a lunatic villain plotting to destroy the world for some barely-explained nonsensical reason.

There are a number of other problems, such as the over-abundance of characters, but the main one is simply that Jonah is a pretty lousy hero. For a start he is a soulless creature. Born in the US to a Guyanese mother and a Palestinian father but with British citizenship he is without religious belief, ideological loyalty or national identity. He stands for and believes in nothing but himself, which makes him seem rather selfish. It also strips him of any higher motivation. Perhaps that is realistic but I found him unlikeable. He is also too passive for an action hero, being dragged or led around for most of the novel.

As the novel goes on (and on - for 400 pages, 100 too many) the flaws become more obvious. In particular, as another reviewer here has noted, this book has unsuccessful pretensions to be more than another ultra-modern thriller. There is plenty of rather turgid philosophising on religion, politics and the post 9/11 world. It may be unfair to do so but a comparison with a genuinely insightful book like Roger Scruton's THE WEST AND THE REST (non-fiction admittedly) reveals just how facile this book is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Work in progress, 4 Feb 2011
I. Small - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rage (Paperback)
A good story but a little stop start in places. Simon Conway is producing a better read with each book

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too many twists and turns to be an enjoyable read !!, 1 Nov 2007
Ms. D. Goff ""Opinionated Woman"" (Aberdeen, Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rage (Paperback)
I can truly say "I just didn't get this book at all!!" I found I had to force myself to finish it - so I could give my complete honest opinion of it. I felt the story was just too far-fetched to get a grasp of. I guess with so much literature out there at the moment from other ex-Soldier's (which I have found truly gripping). I was sadly let down with this book. The basis of the book sounded wonderful, but the book just felt it was another rip of, of other books that are out there on the market - with one slight change - to make it the "most gripping/shocking plot line yet", I feel it just tried to hard. Maybe I just require a more complete story. "A beginning, middle and end, where the facts you are given regarding the characters are true so you have a better understanding of the story the characters and the points the books is trying to relate to the reader." I felt this book jumped about so much, even when you were told (what I believed to be statements of fact, by the end of the book - were also proven to be lies) I couldn't relate to the main character Jonah at all, and on the fact of love interest "Miranda", I am surprised he looked twice at her from the way she was portrayed. Or does it mean that you over look everything about someone except there looks, when live has been bad to you, and your stuck in the Army/desert? I will admit I did laugh a few times out loud during this book (sadly quite close to the beginning which sort of made the rest of the book a downhill adventure.) The last chapter's of this book has saved it from receiving no rating!! Read at your own peril!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Andy McNab with pretensions, 30 July 2006
This review is from: Rage (Paperback)
Its Andy McNab with pretensions to be something else, something smarter. McNab is a better read, and the pretentiousness just grates.

1.0 out of 5 stars The strangest thing....., 8 Sep 2010
Kevin Farrington (Watertown, MA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rage (Paperback)
I would love to offer another review, but that's just not possible. I was nearing the end of the tale, when having turned page 310, I was shocked to be looking at another text font, a discordant page number, and yes....a completely different book, bound as the last 20% of Simon Conway's "Rage"
As such, I am as lost as the protagonist in the story, and left as stranded amongst the unanswerable questions bearing down upon Jonah as the ending approached!
Who is at fault? Who cares?

Rage
Rage by Simon Conway (Paperback - 28 Dec 2006)
6.05