1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 4 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Low GI Shopper's Guide to GI Values (Paperback)
I have been following GI for many months now and have bought many GI books, mainly cookbooks. I decided to invest in a GI counter so that it would be easier for me to buy groceries; I did research the books that provide the sort of thing.

Since GI is very specific to the brand and not the type of food; i.e. Alpen Muesli will have a different rating to Tesco Value Muesli; the listings in this book are personally very helpful to me especially because they have many listings of Tesco foods, my main super market. I also feel that the author has really made this book specific for UK readers. Many books that I have encountered are not as specific to UK food which makes it not very useful for UK readers.

The book gives a breakdown of:

GI rating,

Normal serving size,

Available carb per size and

GL per size

The GI and GL are given in figures which I find more useful that `Low', `Medium' and `High' because I can further distinguish between really high GI foods and fairly high GI foods.

What I personally think is lacking however is he lack of calorie and fat figures which I find are important to assess the general nutritional value of the food but I suppose that can be worked out from the packet of the food.

Another minor down-point is the size of the item; I preferably wanted a book that I could keep in my handbag so I could refer to whenever I go to the shops however this book is not as appropriate in size as the Collins GI counter. Though this book is thin compared to the Collins one it is by no mean `pocket sized'.

All in all a very handy book.

The Low GI Shopper's Guide to GI Values
The Low GI Shopper's Guide to GI Values by Kay (Paperback - 21 Sep 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01