5.0 out of 5 stars Can Honey conquer New York?
Published on 14 Aug 2008 by Damaskcat

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, what happened to Honey?
Published 15 months ago by Jill Besterman

5.0 out of 5 stars Can Honey conquer New York?, 14 Aug 2008
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Lady, Big Apple (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book because of its funny and lovable characters and witty dialogue. Melissa goes to stay with boyfriend Jonathan in New York. But she cannot leave her work at the Little Lady Agency behind even though best friend Gabi and scary sister Allegra are babysitting the office. Jonathan wants her to forget work and have a break but Melissa is getting withdrawal symptoms and it isn't enough for her to tame Braveheart, Jonathan's wayward dog and what about Cindy, Jonathan's ex-wife? Nelson is still much in evidence as is Honey - Melissa's alter ego and Melissa's scrapes make this an event filled story which keeps the reader guessing to the last page. If you want a real feel good novel with believable characters then go for this one. It can stand alone but once you've read it you'll want to read the other two in the series - 'The Little Lady Agency' and 'What the Lady Wants' recently retitled as 'The Little Lady Agency and the Prince.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to New York, Melissa/Honey!, 8 Aug 2006
A reader (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Lady, Big Apple (Paperback)
In an age where cell phones, Blackberries, texting, and emails are the norm, it is so refreshing to read a book in which the protagonist is adamant about the rules of etiquette and writing thank you notes. I loved TLLA, but I enjoyed LL,BA even more because Ms. Browne uses NYC as one of its settings. As a New Yorker, I found this a fun read, especially from a cross-cultural perspective (yes, I do admit that we New Yorkers tend to go overboard with special occasions and their respective registries.) The story flowed seamlessly, and I loved seeing more of Melissa in this one. Her family is as eccentric as ever, and Nelson's reprimands of his young crew on the ship had me laughing out loud, receiving odd looks from those around me on the subway in the process. I loved Melissa's relationship with Jonathan, which the author wrote with great humor and depth. Melissa is not naive-I find her to be old-fashioned but with a modern sensibility. I just loved the fact that she didn't know what the "Mile High Club" was-utterly charming! I can't wait for Melissa/Honey's next adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Good Read, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: Little Lady, Big Apple (Paperback)
This is the second book in the Little Lady Agency series and this one is just as readable as the first. Melissa/Honey meets Jonathan's friends and The Ex Wife and the consequences are unexpected. I expecially loved the introduction of Braveheart the dog, he is a true terrier.

If you liked reading The Little Lady Agency then this book is a must to see how the romance between Melissa and Jonathan continues. This is a very good read and I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 26 July 2006
S. Hamilton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Lady, Big Apple (Paperback)
I loved the first book featuring Honey/Melissa and her highly entertaining collection of family and friends and this one was just as good. I think this is going to be one of those books I read again and again. I can't wait for her next!!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Melissa Than Honey, But Still Sweet, 5 Aug 2006
Mrs. N. J. Claxton "Mimi" (A Library Somewhere In England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Lady, Big Apple (Paperback)
I have been waiting for this to come out since devouring the first Little Lady book last year. I wish I could say I showed some restraint in reading this, made it last- but I didn't! I read it over a weekend, and now am impatient for the next.

There is more of Melissa than Honey in this story, and while I was initially a little disappointed as I love Honey, it was great to get to know Melissa a bit more.

I really enjoyed seeing how the Englishness of Honey worked in an American setting- the story swoops along, just like a glamorous rollercoaster. Will she, won't he - did she really?! And that doesn't just refer to Melissa/Honey and Jonathan- Gabbi and Nelson and Melissa's family are back too.

My hope for the next book is that we have a little more Honey, and that it comes with a warning- Little Lady books make me want to shop!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurray for Honey, 11 Aug 2006
This review is from: Little Lady, Big Apple (Paperback)
I loved Little Lady Agency, and I loved Little Lady, Big Apple - there's the same wit, glamour and pace as before, but with the added 'character' of New York. The book's a bit meatier - Melissa is a little at sea in New York at first, and Jonathan is a little darker than before - but the pace and humour of the book never let up. HB does perfect vignettes of some fantastic caricatures - Mel's father and Gabby are back, and there are some of Cindy's more obnoxious friends to love-to-hate. I couldn't put it down - can't wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another page turner from a witty, clever writer, 4 Aug 2006
This review is from: Little Lady, Big Apple (Paperback)
This is a fantastically well-written follow-up to 'The Little Lady Agency'. Hester Browne has produced a funny,intelligent romance, without any of the cheap, gratuitous sentimentality so often associated with the genre. She successfully juggles an array of colourful characters - some familiar from TLLA, some fascinating new ones - and clever plot lines, to produce a fast-moving, witty sequel. Melissa/Honey is as captivating as before, and the New York setting is brilliantly portrayed. A 'must read' for Summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, great read, 3 Aug 2013
What a great read, good fun story. I brought this after reading so many positive reviews from others, I was not disappointed. The main characters family are hilarious, glad they are not my family. I have read all the books in this series and have enjoyed them all, i was only disappointed when i had finished, as i had to say good bye to all the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Browne does it again :), 18 Jun 2013
I came across Hester Browne quite by accident and now, just a few months later, I am an avid reader of all her books!
Being a collector of etiquette books myself and a thoroughly 50's throwback with a passion for all things vintage, prim and proper I was utterly delighted by this sequel to The Little Lady Agency. I simply cannot get enough of Mellisa and her misadventures.
One of my very favourite guilty pleasures and perfect to escape into when all I crave is a girly read and a bit of romance.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, what happened to Honey?, 24 May 2013
Jill Besterman (Jersey, Channel Islands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I did enjoy the first book in this series but found this follow-up very disappointing. There is too much Melissa and not nearly enough Honey, too much Jonathan (such a two dimensional character!) and virtually no Nelson and Gabbi, Melissa's best friend, continues to be just stupid and irritating. I gather that there is a final book in the series in the making and hope that the Little Lady returns to her home roots and doing what she does best (and dumps Jonathan along the way)

Little Lady, Big Apple
Little Lady, Big Apple by Hester Browne (Paperback - 27 July 2006)
6.99