5.0 out of 5 stars briliant
Published on 8 Nov. 2006 by Ms. L. Stephenson

1.0 out of 5 stars One star is over rated and RUBBISH
Fact. lived opposite this family, everyone knew them well. i used to play with the younger brother and sister, i even went to the younger brothers funeral. never ever in my life as growing up as a kid round there do i ever remember seeing or hearing any other children in that house other than the two younger ones. only saw the other two sisters and brother in the mid 70s...
Published 7 months ago by pippa

5.0 out of 5 stars briliant, 8 Nov. 2006
Ms. L. Stephenson (manchester, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Paperback)
when i first started reading this book i found it hard to get into, however, i am glad that i did as it was truely shocking amazing. When she talks about her dad and the torture he not only put her through but also the whole family all you can feel is compassion. The book was a true eye opener. and i had no idea that her daughter was Martine Mucutchen until i got to the only point in the book that she mentions her. I could not put this book down and i finished it within a day. I would of liked to have read more about her life and i was itching to know the reason behind her brothers death. This book not only conveys the message of child abuse, all abuse, peaeodaphilia and poverty but also that not all celebrity parents have a charming upbringing with plenty of money to see themselves and every other person in the family through stage school and that is something completly reasuuring

5.0 out of 5 stars Behind Closed Doors, 6 Jun. 2006
Deb Evans (South Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Paperback)
This is a journey with a friend, well that's how I felt when I read it. It is written in a painfully frank way. I could not put the book down for one second! Jenny tells us about her torment and frustration at having to be so self sufficient at a very young age. Sexually terrorised by her Father, shunned by her Mother, it is a harrowing look into the world of her physically and mentally tortured innocent young life, from a toddler to a young lady she had the strength and where-withall that enabled her to keep her sanity. Her self preservation is admirable, so is her deeply caring nature. She gave me an insightful peep into her world, parts of which will stay with me always. A fantastic read, very deep and painful to read, but enthralling all the same. This will go into my 'Best books of all time' list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Betrayal, 28 April 2006
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Paperback)
Jenny Tomlin's book shows the reader just how terrible some parents can be. In her case both of her parents let her down. Her mother was a very weak woman, down-trodden by a very sick and vicious man. Her father a very abusive man and a bully. Yet somehow Jenny found the strength and courage to survive her terrible life. Fortuantly for Jenny she had aunty to look forward to going to, a woman who was a total contrast to her parents, she was a loving and warm hearted character. As a survivor I could totally relate to this book, which is well written and is one of those books that the reader wants to finish to find out what happens to the little girls that are stuck in a nightmare in their own home.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliantly written book!, 16 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading this book, and it only took me 2 days, I just couldn't put it down! It is really well written, the areas of London where they lived are so well described that you almost feel as though you are there with the children. It is the extremely harrowing true story of Jenny, who lived in poverty and squalor, further worsened by her parents' terrible fights, the beatings of her mother by her father, and the physical and sexual abuse which she and her siblings endured at the hands of their father, and sometimes other men. Parts of the book are almost too painful to read, and I confess that tears were brought to my eyes on more than one occasion. But at the same time, I just had to keep on reading! Jenny Tomlin is the mother of actress and singer Martine McCutcheon, and I saw her interview on ITV's This Morning programme some weeks ago, and had been looking out for the book ever since. I really enjoyed reading it, but it also made me so very sad. What an amazing woman Jenny has become, this book must have been very difficult and painful for her to write. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing True Life Story, 29 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Paperback)
I cannot describe this book as "enjoyable" as the life that Jenny endured was far from that, but her spirit, courage and determination to come through her ordeal make this book impossible to put down. Well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most emotional book I have ever read, 23 Nov. 2005
Claire (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Hardcover)
What a fantastic, emotional, harrowing account of an inocent life being abused. This book had me gripped from the moment I started reading it. I like many others read it in a matter of days and only the need for sleep had me put it down. It will take you through all emotions, and really pull on your heart strings. Buy a box of tissues, lock the door and take the phone off the hook and be prepared to read a book that will touch your soul forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely one of the worst cases of abuse i have ever read., 11 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Paperback)
I am always drawn to true stories of child abuse - even though i know for sure i will not be able to bear the pain of the writer - my heart breaks into a million pieces every time. When i bought this book i really was not prepared for the horrors it would reveal. I thought `mother of celebrity jumping on the band wagon..`
How wrong was i !!
I have read some terrible stories of abuse but none can even come close to what jenny suffered. Just when you think things can`t get any worse - they do - all the time ! I was shocked to the roots of my hair at some of the things she endured at the hands of her parents - who did not confine their abuse to the family, or even the family home - but began handing jenny around to be used and abused by others as well. Truly shocking. No child should ever experience such evil cruelty.
Jenny`s father was truly the devil himself.
I`m so pleased that jenny`s daughter has done well, and has brought such happiness and pride to jenny. I wish them all good things.
Jenny you are truly a survivor and you did good girl !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grabs you and holds until the end, 4 April 2006
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Hardcover)
Never have I read such a well writen book. Jenny should feel so proud of her courage of writing the truth of her life. The moment you read the book, it will hold you until you finish it completly. The story of Jenny, her dreadful father and things he did to her made me cry. It is unbeliavelbe how far a grown sick man can go with his five year-old daughter. In her novel, Jenny wrote a description of her life from early childhood to late teenage years. She survived sexual, physical and pshycological abuse and wrote such outstanding novel. It is a book for anyone. It is a very emotional book, it will be impossibe to hold back the tears!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 28 Nov. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Hardcover)
What a fantastic book, from the moment I started reading it I could not put it down,I had finished the book in a day and a half!!!What Jenny and her brother and sister went through was horrific,but she has come out the other side to tell her story,and boy what a story it is.Iwould recomend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Behind Closed Doors, 23 April 2006
Mrs. C. Franklin "cfrankie" (Croydon, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Paperback)
Amazing book. What the characters had to go through, I was just amazed they managed to come out the other side. I loved this book and would reccommend to anyone who has an interest in positivity through adversity.

Behind Closed Doors
Behind Closed Doors by Jenny Tomlin (Paperback - 13 Feb. 2006)