4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping
Really well written book totally transported me to post war FrAnce Was not expecting the outcome
Romantic family drama had me enthralled
Published 14 months ago by David

2.0 out of 5 stars Plodding and slow
I hardly ever fail to finish a book but The Gypsy Madonna brought me close. I thought it would be a light fluffy read for my holidays but I was bored within the first few chapters. I kept going in the hope that htings would improve but the pacing never picked up and the main characters just became more and more annoying. The only saving grace for this book were the minor...
Published on 26 Feb 2007 by L. Hogan

4.0 out of 5 stars The Gypsy Madonna, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Gypsy Madonna (Kindle Edition)
A lovely novel that was well paced and its characters were well drawn - great book to enjoy on winter's evening.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible rubbish, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Gypsy Madonna (Paperback)
Our book club read this, and 9 of our 10 members declared it as 'rubbish' - the first book we overwhlemingly disliked. 3 members gave up without finishing it, declaring, as one put it, "Life is too short to waste it on reading such rubbish." In deference to my fellow book club members, I slogged all the way to the ridiculous end of the book.

The main character, Mischa, continually morphs through the book as Santafiore tries to cram stereotype after stereotype into the book. He is alternately disabled child, violent gangster, sophisticated antiques dealer, enigmatic tortured soul, and of course throughout a supposedly gifted lover irresistible to all women. Every woman he meets automatically wants to make love to him. The lovemaking scenes are so badly written as to be laughable; in one the description stops abruptly to point out the lady was wearing a gray tweed skirt. After another, the lady declares, "I thought I had lost such sensuality in the banal domesticity of life." Oh brother...

A key figure in the book is an American called Coyote Jack Magellan, who is so unbelievably badly contrived as to be toe-curling. He wears a cowboy hat, plays guitar, and mesmerises all he meets with renditions of "Streets of Laredo," despite that song not having been popular for decades, he not being a cowboy or having ever lived in the Western States, and so on. As an ex-pat American, I had to wonder if Montefiore had actually ever met any Americans. Brits may understand how badly devised this character is by thinking of Dick Van Dyke's stereotyped Cockney in "Mary Poppins." Yes, that bad. We also have stereotyped retired wealthy English ladies, New York Jews, lovable Hispanics, an evil priest, a gallant Nazi officer, a blues-playing old African-American man, and that's not all. Montefiore's descriptions of American locations are also badly done and wildly inaccurate, and at the same time, she has her American characters using expressions that are purely British. As I say, she must have never met any Americans nor visited there.

The "mystery" is no mystery at all; I knew what the outcome was by about page 50, which also made slogging through the next 200 pages no fun. The only real mystery is how this book got published. Several of us noted it easily made our "Top Ten Worst Reads List" and would likely never be nudged off it. One member thought it would at least be a decent 'beach read' and was disappointed even at that low an expectation.

The basic idea could have been worked into a fascinating novel. It wasn't. If I could give it no stars or a half a star, I would. Avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tracie warwickshire, 27 Aug 2012
Mrs. Tracey Ireland (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gypsy Madonna (Kindle Edition)
Another fantastic book from Santa The story just draws you in and before you know it your at the end . Woundrefull highly recommend this if you enjoyed her books like the butterfly box .

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as usual!, 23 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Gypsy Madonna (Paperback)
Fabulous, as all Santa Montefiore novels are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 12 Aug 2014
J. Barry (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Gypsy Madonna (Paperback)
Great book, excellent value, would use again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 12 April 2007
Paul (Hertfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gypsy Madonna (Hardcover)
This is a book that richly deserves no stars, but the minimum you can award is one. The main character, a six year old boy appears to think like an adult woman. For example, quote: "It's nice to be hugged by a man." The plot is incredibly thin yet also unbelievable. You keep reading, thinking that there must be some point to this, but there isn't. It is not well written, you may be irritated by sentences containing unnecessary adjectives. This is the worst book I can remember reading.

I got my copy for 25p at the charity store. I can well understand why the original owner gave it away. I think the more charitable action is to chuck it in the dustbin and give 25p to the store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Aug 2014
Another good read from Santa Montifore

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Oct 2014
Brilliant service~as described...!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Gypsy Madonna (Paperback)
really pleased with this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Gypsy Madonna (Paperback)
Good item and delivery thank you

The Gypsy Madonna
The Gypsy Madonna by Santa Montefiore (Paperback - 19 Oct 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01