5.0 out of 5 stars So funny!
Published on 22 Jun 2005 by debbieannjones

3.0 out of 5 stars Very witty
Five stars for a great laugh out loud book for cat lovers. Will read Chris's next book and the rest.
Published 9 months ago by Mrs. A. W. Mcleman

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny!, 22 Jun 2005
Birmingham made me laugh and laugh. I love cats and he is brilliant. Every chapter had me in stitches. Its so weird how I got this book - I was sitting on the beach in Portugal and a girl kept laughing out so loud. She read lots of funny lines out to her friend and she kept laughing too, and so did I! I ended up going over to ask what book she had and I thought I've got to read this. I bought it the day I got home and I'm so glad I did because it totally cheered me of my post holiday blues. So thanks girl on the beach for a very convincing review, and thanks Birmingham too you little loony!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat Called Birmingham, 17 Jan 2005
I don't often bother writing reviews for books but this one was funny, very funny, and I reckon it deserves one. I'd heard the author on the radio and he made me laugh, so when I saw the book in a shop the same day I glanced at it out of interest and started laughing straight away. I don't usually go for 'cat books' but this isn't exactly that. It's all about a cat yes, but it's more the series of crazy situations the cat gets himself and everyone else into. He's a near on useless cat, as clumsy and thick as two short planks, he can't even beat a sparrow in a one on one. But as the book progresses you get to really like him, as you do the people in this book. Pascoe is a witty writer. He relates each improbable episode so well that you start laughing well before 'the punchline' and even when you guess what's coming, you still laugh until it hurts. When a lot of the cat's maniac actions directly effect him (as in my favourite chapter when the pair of them wreck a whole room between them) Pascoe's resigned irony is hilarious. Each chapter contains a different story, all connected but running like a series of comedy episodes. I also found particularly amusing the three short fantasy scenario chapters, particularly one entitled crackpot theories which is a cleverly daft look at how a future evolved cat civilisation would work. The cat himself, Birmingham is remarkable. His falls, accidents, battles, fire and water antics and sheer bad luck make him one of the best comedy characters to emerge for quite some time. As mentioned, though, it's not all cat. Pascoe pokes a great deal of fun at his own escapades, and exceptionally funny here amongst others was a drunken brawl with a homicidal cat. My wife insisted on reading it after me just to see what I was making all the guffaws and laughing grunts about and she made exactly the same noises.It's difficult to catagorise this book exactly as it's so unusual. It's both a light hearted cat book and a comedy of errors, the humour is all of slapstick, observational, laugh out loud, embarrassing situations and ironic asides. In short it's hilarious, well written and a lot of fun and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 Nov 2005
Miss Denise Appleby "Bookworm Niecey" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This has to be the funniest book I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I had tears of laughter running down my face from start to finish at the antics of Birmingham, so much so that my husband thought I'd gone mad! I adore cats and Chris Pascoe describes Birmingham's "mishaps" so well. I can't wait for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most hilarious book I have ever read!, 1 May 2007
Rog "Rog" (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Cat Called Birmingham (Paperback)
Not being familiar with Chris Pascoe at all, I decided to give this book a chance based on other reviews here. That was definitely the correct decision!

Being owned by two (Siamese) cats myself, I can relate to just about everything in this book! Sitting in the garden, laughing until my sides hurt and the tears ran down my face, I think the neighbours must have finally thought I'd completely lost it!

A brilliant read, especially if you are owned by cats. I'll not say anymore than that - buy it and enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be read in public..., 5 Mar 2006
Rosie Rose (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Cat Called Birmingham (Paperback)
... as I discovered while trying to read this for the first time, on a train journey. I'm not usually one for laughing out loud but spent so much time laughing until I cried that I was getting some very funny looks from my fellow passengers. And I was in a quiet carriage, too! Attempts to read out the bits amusing me to my travelling companion failed because I was laughing too hard, and passing the book to her so that she could read it, merely doubled the effect with two of us with aching sides. Certain word pictures will remain forever in my mind, I suspect. In the end, I had to put it away and find something quiet to do. I tried to read my husband a few of the funny bits tonight and got the giggles again!
If laughter is the best medicine, this one's a pharmacy. If you are a cat person, buy it now! If you aren't, this may convert you. Bring on the next volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed until I cried, 4 May 2006
This review is from: A Cat Called Birmingham (Paperback)
I really loved this book. In fact I laughed until I cried and my stomach muscles hurt from laughing. I once had a cat who was on the dim side of dopey, and I could picture Brum getting up to his antics. I think anyone who likes cats or wants a good laugh, or both, should read this. Great fun. A very, very funny book, and written in such a way that you just gallop through it wanting to see what Brum gets up to next.

5.0 out of 5 stars owner as mad as a cat, 10 Nov 2004
I was laughing from the start to the finish of this book whose worse the cat or the owner of the cat can't wait for more from this up and coming author good light read excellent stocking filler.

5.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 25 Nov 2004
Lisa Holman (Romford, Essex) - See all my reviews
I can't remember chuckling over a book so much. It's funny and addictively amusing from start to finish, and the final chapter had me gasping for breath and tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks. I just hope there is a follow-up because I'm now totally in love with both cat and owner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant!, 25 Jan 2008
H. MCADAM "Hilary Mc" (Pendle, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Cat Called Birmingham (Paperback)
Daughter bought me this for Christmas - on the strength of Amazon reviews - as my Christmas 'cat book'. I spent hours crying with laughter! We thought she had a disaster-ridden cat but Brum beats all! Superbly written by someone with a naturally very funny turn of phrase - & a hysterical cat & offspring! Needless to say, we've just ordered the follow-up book. Whatever will we read when Brum goes to the Great-Cattery-in-the Sky? Can't recommend too highly. One of the best reads in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud, 3 Nov 2007
K. Wood "Bookqueen" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Cat Called Birmingham (Paperback)
I pity the people who sat next to me on the aeroplane flying out to Canada. I had been lent the book "A Cat Called Birmingham" by a friend and laughed till I cried all the way to Canada. The person sitting next to me had to ask me what I was reading as I just couldn't contain myself. I tried to laugh quietly but didn't manage it. I am not usually a cat person but the writing and vocabulary really did manage to create a 'cinema in my mind.' What a hoot. I didn't enjoy the 'Take the Cat out of Slough' as much but still laughed out loud.

A Cat Called Birmingham
A Cat Called Birmingham by Chris Pascoe (Paperback - 12 Sep 2005)
6.45