4.0 out of 5 stars Glossy, superficial, but entertaining nonetheless
I enjoyed this book. It's mostly quite witty, and sometimes very useful - Morton's fashion section is particularly well informed.
However, with each section, the narrative slows down - you can tell what her area of expertise is. It's a nice, lucid read, but there isn't a great deal of substance.
Morton sometimes comes across as being one of those women that...
Published on 13 Dec 2007 by Cath

2.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance
I was very disappointed with this book. It has a great title, and the contents page promises a great deal. It is beautifully produced and the illustrations are lovely - I was looking forward to reading it.
Published on 22 Jan 2006

4.0 out of 5 stars Glossy, superficial, but entertaining nonetheless, 13 Dec 2007
This review is from: How to Walk in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything (Paperback)
Morton sometimes comes across as being one of those women that conforms to the typical female stereotype (cook, clean, look pretty) - her political stance on which party to support was to choose the colour badge that would match your outfit the most. Despite some wry comments about this type of thing, you have to wonder why she'd write a book on how to be a girl if she didn't want to fall into the stereotype (and similarly, her readers).
Also, style and appearance is CONSTANTLY mentioned - you can't fix a tyre if it means that you'll mess up your hair, etc. This is quite annoying, but that is essentially the book's agenda.
Other than that, the book is very entertaining, and it certainly provides a very sketchy guide to most areas of thought. I'm giving it 4 stars, assuming that the reader had bought the book purely for the wit/amusing guides, such as "How to wear an apron with style".
Just don't buy this book for any of your feminist friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Womans Bible, 24 Sep 2005
By A Customer
Every week my grandma gives us the books she gets from The Mail on Sunday, out popped the mini version to this book. I read it and fell about.. so decided to buy the full book!! What a fantastic book. With each chapter it just gets funnier. Its a modern womans bible..it tells you how to play poker, knit and garden, make curtains, and how to cook a full english breakfast, shepards pie and spag bol. The love section is so humorous. Can't put it down and keep taking it to work to show everyone. I think when i have finished reading this book, i will be super woman. A must buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous!, 28 Nov 2005
By A Customer
I didn't really know what to expect from this book...perhaps a guide to fashion, 'not what to wear' style. I was wrong - this book includes advice on absolutely EVERYTHING a glamourous girl needs. Not only what to wear, but how to entertain, how to be a domestic goddess, how to cope with modern technology - even how to drive! Useful stuff... Anyway, I'm certainly taking Morton's advice, I even went to the supermarket yesterday in my high heels. Not yet mowed the lawn in my stilletos, but I'm getting there... This should be a bible for every modern girl out there, absolutely wonderful!

2.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance, 22 Jan 2006
By A Customer
The 'information', however, is superficial at best, and incorrect at worst. Any woman who is at least vaguely competent should know at least 80% of what's in this book already.
There's an uncritical acceptance that whatever leads the market must therefore be the best (e.g. in computer software and MP3 players); the information about fitting a bra is just wrong, as even the most basic research would have shown. It tells you that knitting is the bees knees, but doesn't tell you how to do it or any pointers on how to learn apart from 'get someone to show you'. Helpful.
Names are dropped all over the place - Oooh! Look at my famous friends! - which I found irritating. I was also annoyed by comments such as, "Any connoisseur will know that the only real way to travel is by car or taxi. Live the fantasy and sign off taxi reciepts for the obvious reason: 'SF' (Stiletto Fatigue)", and "If your escort is shorter than you in your highest heels dump him immediately. A pair of Manolos lasts a lifetime, and you shouldn't compromise style for love." And so on, ad infinitum. Since when was it stylish to be shallow?
The book is not well written, there are several errors that slipped by the editor, the index is unreliable, and I'm afraid Camilla Morton came over as the kind of shallow, glossy, self-absorbed woman I try to avoid at parties.

5.0 out of 5 stars number one girls guide, 23 Sep 2005
By A Customer
If I had read this book before leaving home and/or going to University- I think I would be in a better place right now! Once I finally stopped flicking though the illustration and different interviews - I literally could not put the book down. I had read Camilla Mortons articals in the hipster U.K/ U.S magazines and loved her style of writing, "High heels" is no exception- even the sections I never thought I would read- came alive with her words.
This book is perfect for holidays, on the way to work, bedtime, walking the dog, lying in the bath- in fact everywhere- highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is truly a girls guide to everything, 22 Sep 2005
By A Customer
This is the perfect complement to a modern women's life- If I had read this book before university and/or moving out of home-I would be in a much better place right now! I had always enjoyed Camilla Morton's articles in the hipster U.K magazines and so knew that this book would be an enjoyable read- even the subject matters that I would not necessarily have been interested in- came alive with her words. If you are going on holiday, need something to read on the way to work, been dumped by your boyfriend or just need something for bed time! - get this book- it will cheer you up no end...also the illustrations are pretty cool too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every modern girl needs this book!, 22 Sep 2005
By A Customer
Buy this book for yourself and then get another five copies to give to your closest girlfriends - it's fantastic!
Camilla Morton offers down to earth advice about a whole host of things. Her tone is chatty and friendly - and, thank god, never patronising. It's a book you will keep dipping into and learn something new each time you read it. I can honestly say I haven't been able to put it down. Yesterday, I was reading it during my tube journey home and people read it over my shoulder! Natasha Law's illustrations are excellent too. I really can't recommend this book enough. It's the kind of girlie bible we've all be waiting for.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good giggle, 14 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This is a great book with a mixture of funny anecdotes and serious information, although not all of it ought to be taken seriously. In fact if you don't take the book too seriously you will love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its my bible, 2 May 2006
All I can say is girls this is a great book, I asked for this book after hearing some good ratings for it, never in the world did I think that I would enjoy it so much. Ok so not everyone is into or can afford designer labels, me included but it has so much practical advice, even the girls at work are buying it. A sound buy for me and it is my bible, I wouldnt be seen without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to write the most amazing book?!!!!..., 22 Sep 2005
...should really have been the title of this magnificent number! Camilla Morton has written what is quite possibly the most informative, interesting, amusing and refreshingly different book that I have read in years. In a very simple, yet exceedingly well written way, slightly fluffy but non patronizing or condescending manner she manages to guide one through the maze that is everyday confusion, by helping to show how to do so many things one is normally to embarrassed to ask through sheer worry that everyone is meant to know these things already! My mother, girlfriend and flatmate have all finished reading the book and we all agree that this is the best thing on the market and a number one Christmas best seller in the making! Well done Miss Morton! May you write many more books and keep us all entertained for years to come!

How to Walk in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything
How to Walk in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything by Camilla Morton (Paperback - 13 July 2006)
7.19