on 16 March 2005
This book came out at a perfect time in my life - Setting up a business, 2 small children, moving house and a gall stone operation had all taken its toll and my neck and shoulders had tensed up to such a degree that it was giving me a headache. I read Perfect Poise, Perfect Life and it made such sense. By releasing your muscles and letting go of tension, you breathe more easily, feel calmer and generally learn that you don't always have to be in control of life, but can quite often just "go with the flow". Things that might have bothered you in the past, just become water off a ducks back and you learn to literally "shrug your shoulders" and not worry. Enjoyable to read, with a few easy exercises too. A fantastic book for a multitude of reasons and quite literally life changing.
on 29 March 2005
This is an excellent book on several counts. If you are not already aware of the effects of your posture on both your physical and mental well-being, it will be an eye-opener. But the book's not just about posture: it's totally inspirational with lots of helpfu/practical tips on how to transform your life (and not just the standard self-help manual stuff!) And if you thought, like I did, that improving your posture was a matter of standing up tall and yanking your shoulders back, then you're in for a surprise!
on 20 March 2005
Alexander Technique has helped me to walk through life more lightly!
The book is full of useful hints and tips which enable my body to feel relaxed, loose and light even when I am in a stressful situation.
I found it easy to read and easy to follow.
on 21 March 2005
'reading Perfect Poise, Perfect Life has been an eye opener for me. In easy, friendly prose it shows how so many aspects of ourselves are linked together - if we feel physically bad it affects us mentally and vice versa. it made me realise that taking care of the physical body is very important for performance. I now no longer feel guilty about taking time for me to look after my own well being as I know it will make me better at my job in the long run!'
on 29 March 2005
A superb book, spelling out exactly why posture is so important for both your physical and emotional well-being. But its not just about posture - there are lots of practical tips on how you can improve other areas of your life. Highly recommended: even if you only implement a fraction of the advice, it will make a difference to your life.
on 26 July 2014
Noël Kingsley seems like a genuine and very nice man but this book is extremely repetitive, a fact he implicitly acknowledges through multiple references back to the instructions given about a third of the way in. I found that as I read it I had to take it in smaller and smaller chunks as it just wasn't holding my interest. Having said that, it is true to the principles of the Alexander Technique and there are one or two useful sections that mean I don't regret reading it.

Another Alexander Technique volume that I read a few years ago and found much more compelling was the 'Barlow book': The Alexander Principle: How to Use Your Body Without Stress.
on 29 January 2014
To summarise the first 150 pages of this book:

Your poise is very important - so keep it upright
Balance is very important - so please stay balanced
Voice is very important - so speak with more resonance
Breathing is very important - so please keep breathing

Unbelievable. It looks like the author had just one page article but was required by publishers to extend it 250 times.
on 24 August 2013
We would all be happier and healthier if we read this book and applied the guidelines. I highly recommend this book.
on 15 October 2015
Haven't read it yet, but saw it mentioned in a newspaper article and I knew that it would help me.
on 12 January 2015