4.0 out of 5 stars Vanishing Act - Jodi Picoult
This the first Jodi Piccoult book I've read, the author coming highly recommended from my Mum, an avid reader whos opinion I completely respect. I was not disappointed.

Published on 19 April 2007 by K. Galbraith

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite
Published on 11 Feb 2007 by Readaholic

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite, 11 Feb 2007
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Paperback)
I have read 2 other books by Jodi Picoult; My Sister's Keeper, which blew me away, and A Perfect Match, which again was very good. Vanishing Acts, however, I cannot get into. I've read about 3/4s of it, which means I've probably not reached any twists or turns in te plot, but I just find the story quite slow compared to others and I've been reading it for 4 months so far, I usually read a book within a few days, a week at most.

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as the others, 14 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Hardcover)
This is the fourth book by Jodi Pilcoult that i have read. Although it is good it is nowhere near as good as My sisters keeper, The pact and Salem falls. If you have never read a Jodi Pilcoult book before dont read this one first as it doesnt show what a good author Jodi Pilcoult is. I found this book a struggle to finish which is a first for me with one of her books. Jodi Pilcoult is a great author but this isnt a great book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Miss Again, 26 May 2009
Fleurina (Colchester, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Paperback)
Unfortunately with Jodie Picoult she is very much a hit or miss author. Some of her books are outstanding such as The Pact or Nineteen Minutes whilst others are pure dross. Vanishing Acts is the latter. Althougth the premise of the plot was good - it should have been a short story rather than a long novel. I think even JP got to the point where she wished she could just get on with it and finish it. I found all the details about the Indian reservation boring and also thought the "twist" so obvious that it made the last 200 pages of the novel pointless. Please do not waste your time or money on this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite JP book, 31 July 2006
Mrs. Anel Laurens "Anel" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Hardcover)
I have read My Sister's Keeper and Plain Truth written by this author and though I thought these 2 books ended in the weirdest twists possible, I still enjoyed them both, but Vanishing Acts really bored me and it was a battle to get through the book.

I especially disliked the parts where she described in such horrible detail the happenings in the prison where Delia's dad Andrew was held until the trial.

There was no climax in the book and it ended rather dull!

As other readers commented - if you are a first time Jodi Picoult reader, then don't start with this book as it might stop you from reading her other books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Vanishing Act - Jodi Picoult, 19 April 2007
K. Galbraith (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Paperback)

If I'm honest, initially it's not the most gripping of reads. The story is slow to build up, and at first the different characters narrative is much like each others which is a little boring - aside from the obvious differences in experiences that each character talks about, basically if their name hadn't been printed at the start of each chapter, it would have been difficult to tell one from the other. Maybe it's wrong to compare, but in other books I've read, the characters are individuals that stand apart from each other. I didn't get this with the characters in this book. As for the pace - having just come from reading Dan 'cliff-hanger-at-the-end-of-every-chapter' Brown's novels - it could just be the change in gear made it even more slower for me, than it actually was.

The slow build had a considerable plus point however... I didn't feel compelled to read this book cover to cover exclusively, feeling free to dip into it when I was in the mood. Which to be honest was a welcome relief after Dan Brown who is responsible for the bags under my eyes! To people that have struggled with Vanishing Acts, I'd say 'hang in there!' The story *is* captivating as it unravels, and I certainly felt a strong empathy with each of the main characters, which grew ever stronger as more history about each is reveal, and as the plot unwinds.

The crazy thing was, I didn't truly appreciate just what a good read this book is, until the final page. After closing the book, I found myself lost in thought for sometime, just thinking 'wow - what a great story'.
Looking back, I can't help but wonder if the slow pace is just another way of developing a real empathy for the characters, as well as presenting the story in a way that makes it more real somehow - that events *do* only unfurl as quick as they choose to - that time *does* drag when forced to play the waiting game with only our often fearful and confused internal thought processes for company. Not to mention how cleverly the main theme of the book is presented, through each of the different characters - that just 'one' decision can have snowballing ramifications, exceeding far past your understanding at the time.
I look forward to reading more from the Author :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing all-round, 9 May 2008
Elizabeth Taylor (France) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Paperback)
I've read other books by Jodi Picoult and find she has an easy to read writing style and normally the subject matter relates to intense feelings between individuals, however, this is not best book I've read by the author as it didn't keep me engaged.

The story itself involves a daughter and the arrest of her father which leads to a court case. The two other protagonists are her childhood male chums one of whom she has a child by and is about to marry - not forgetting her bloodhound. Each chapter is told by one of the above individuals (excluding the dog) and as each chapter unfolds we learn a little more about the relationships, the dirty secrets and the developing court case. This is a method employed in many detective novels and normally is very effective.

The problem in this instance though is that the story itself is not realistic, the characters are just not sympathetic so as the story advances you end up not really caring what happens to any of them. I thought the plot turns were heavy, the individuals themselves all selfish and frankly not very likeable. The court case was the best part of the book but ultimately you don't care what happens to any of the characters except the dog. So if you have never read this novelist before I recommend purchasing one of her other books as this may put you off someone who can be an interesting writer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 2 Jun 2006
Alison "Kindle Allie" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Paperback)
I really enjoyed Sisters Keeper, but Vanishing Acts was not quite as good. The story seemed drawn out to me and the fragmented scenes told by the different characters didn't hold the book together well. The ending felt unsatisfying but a lot of the book was gripping and interesting, just not quite in the league of Sisters Keeper.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 3 July 2006
Stracs "Stracs" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Paperback)
I am a big fan of Jodi Picoult's work in general, and felt her books "My Sisters Keeper", "The Pact" and "Salem Falls" were all fantastic reads. I suppose thats why I feel a bit let down by Vanishing Acts, as it does suffer in comparison to these previous novels.

It is a decent, entertaining enough read but it just didnt grip me in the way those other novels did. The premise is a good one - a daughter who thinks she has led the perfect childhood discovers her father kidnapped her age 4, and lied that her mother was dead. The story plays out pretty well, although it is a little slow in places, and the conclusion is pretty satisfactory. However, I think it was the characters that held it back for me. I just couldnt like or empathise with any of the 5 main characters - Delia, Eric, Andrew, Fitz and Elise. They all came across as selfish, self obsessed people with no redeeming features for me, and I just didnt find them interesting. The most appealing character for me, Ruthann, was very much a side story and could have been maximised more. Also, the best bit of the book by far were the last few chapters, which was a real shame.

That said I did enjoy the book, and like I say it is entertaining enough. However, if you are a first time Picoult reader I would definatly start with My Sisters Keeper or Salem Falls as this is far more representative of her high standards and will give you a better feel for her work

3.0 out of 5 stars Good with flaws n' all, 12 Jun 2006
Ms. R. J. Temple "Jelley" (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Paperback)
I had not read any of Picoult's novels before and I enjoyed this one. It is a gripping story of a young woman finding out that her lovin father actually kidnapped her 28 years before. It is, however, flawed. In my opinion the best character was Ruthann but felt she had little point in the story as a whole whilst Delia's character felt a little bit perferct for me. My biggest concern though was for Picoult's portayal of alcoholism. I think she makes some dangerous assumptions - that alcoholics make unreliable and unsuitable parents - this may be the experience of some but not all and also that once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic - an idea that is outdated and widely acknowledged to be unhelpful for people dealing with an addiction and again, not true for everyone. The book does have some very ood parts - The scenes in prison were gritty and Picoult's portrayal of Arizona felt real. All in all a pretty good holiday read - not taxing but enough going on to keep you hooked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad..., 4 Sep 2006
H. Burr - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Paperback)
I started this book and straight away I was engrossed in the story and the characters, the only downfall was the ending, which I felt was a let down. I liked way in which each of the book's chapters were about a different character and their perspective. I was also expecting a lot more twist and turns, going by the previous reviews, This was the first Jodi Picoult book I have read and not sure if I would read another...

Vanishing Acts
Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult (Paperback - 20 April 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01