Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 November 2005
I bought this book on impulse having never read any Don books before. I have enjoyed Monty Don's hosting of Gardener's World and am captivated and enchanted by this collection of columns and articles across the months and years. It's not a practical "how to" by any means, but has inspired me to start growing from seed and get a few things in the new vegetable patch sooner rather than later. I love the "give it a go" mentality it inspires and relate so keenly to the joy and comfort that hours in the garden give. A wonderful book that you'll want to re-read and give to loved ones.
on 3 October 2006
These pieces of writing are superb and have given me great inspiration.

I loved the way that the book captures the sense that the garden is a constantly changing experience: moving, changing, watched and adapted. That it is about getting to know your land and that sense of personal intimacy that comes with time. Gardening is about the here and now, the past and the future. I believe that if more people understood that there are very few quick fixes in life, we would be a happier people. Monty Don captures this wonderfully in this book. He also captures the sense that life is as much about `process' as `product'. I loved the genuine enthusiasm that Monty Don has and finishing the book you feel that there is nothing more important in the world than this engagement with the land: it really matters. I personally too can connect with that.

I teach English Lit to older students, spend a lot of time dealing with the written word... and don't tend to lavish praise lightly - this book is superbly written - and, refreshingly - it has got something to say.
on 12 February 2006
It doesn't look much, a little hardback book full of close type, no pictures. Well don't judge a book by it's cover because you would be well wrong here. Monty has lifted articles from his regular newspaper columns over the last decade or so and works his way through the year. Whether he's wandering through the garden on a quiet, dark, snowy night or throwing out a bit of philosophy on modern farming practice, he is always insightfull and original. Quirky and self-deprecating (read about his pear troubles) and totally inspiring. Just one gripe - an irrational support of fox-hunting. You really let me down there Monty .....
on 21 March 2013
I find Monty Don's writings on gardens rather than gardening enchanting. He is able to communicate an almost spiritual response to gardens and the natural world that is inspiring, without the trap of of sounding hippyish. Quite simply a lovely book, that makes you realise afresh the value of all the hours of toil and commitment that you give to your own garden.
VINE VOICEon 20 March 2011
Monty's re-appearance on BBC Gardener's World 2011 was the trigger to read this book. Relevant since this week-by-week collection of articles selected from The Observer over 12 years are frequently about creating the garden we now see on TV.

The articles haven't really dated since much of gardening is about repeated cycles. I can't say it's choc-full of advice, techniques and recommendations. The tone is very casual and readable, the contents are more anecdotal and observational than 'how to' per se. Non the worse for that, as he's authored plenty of such guides.

At the end of the day, this book tells you as much about the author as his garden.
on 4 May 2007
I am the world's worst gardener. I normally visit public gardens and end up feeling very depressed. Ditto watching gardening programmes. But I loved this book. It is so ... normal. There are no airs and graces, just a man and his wife making something from nothing and the various trials and tribulations along the way.

Intelligent, sensitive, funny, poignant - it is a book to dip into or read all in one go. I liked to take pot luck and open it at a random point to let the writing take me to a garden's season out of season as it were.

Photographs would have improved the book which is why I gave it four stars.
on 12 August 2013
I have enjoyed Monty Don since he first came on T.V.; watched many of his programmes and Gardener's World etc. for 20 years. A friend and myself were very sorry when he went 'off sick' after 'Round the World in 80 Gardens', and wondered what was wrong; I was the one who guessed the truth, and it is so good to see him so much better. It is a delight to be able to read his books on Kindle. Thank you so much for making them available to us. Barbara.
on 4 April 2015
I am a great fan of Monty Don but this book is a compilation of his past articles for the press. However reading these pages so far back in time failed to interest me.
However I have no complaint with the seller who sent the book promptly and is good condition
on 21 September 2014
I am reading it now, and like all his books, they really speak to me. It is like having an interesting person to dinner who talks about his passion for the outdoors ... It is about so much more than just gardening. His appreciation and love of landscape, light, home grown food and the wonders of nature ( sounds trite in my words ) is captivating. Also loved The Road to Le Tholonet.
on 17 March 2013
I have always enjoyed watching Monty Don teach about gardening on Gardeners World so thought this book would be a fantastic read but it just was not what I expected, Some interesting facts but sadly I could not get into the book