5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly amazing .......
Published on 25 July 2010 by Stevie Dal

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
Selected based on recommendations resulting from my reading list, but did not enjoy the style, I am not really a short story fan.
Published 6 months ago by Guildenboy

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly amazing ......., 25 July 2010
This review is from: Waiting for the Evening News: Stories of the Deep South (Paperback)
I've been a fan of Tim Gautreaux for a good few years now and i'd read all of his novels before getting hold of this volume of short stories . Of his novels my favourite is probably The Clearing but even that superb effort is put firmly into the shade by this utterly amazing collection . I didn't even know that he wrote short stories but it turns out that he's been at it for a good while , with great (and very much deserved ) success .
This collection is actually a coming together of two volumes (Same Place,Same Things and Welding With Children) which came out originally in America in the 90's. Here you get all the stories from those two editions (23 in all) for the price of one and i can assure you it's great value .
Tim Gautreaux is simply a master at evoking a sense of place and character , taking you into the lives of each and holding you enthralled , delighted to be offered a glimpse into these characters lives and very sad to come to the end .
It's very hard to pick out faves , i really enjoyed every one so i'll leave it to others to pick and choose .
If you enjoy writers like Russell Banks and David Gates then you'll love this but even if you've no idea who they are you will still get a lot from this , i'm pretty sure of that . Wonderful stuff , roll on the next one .........

5.0 out of 5 stars 23 CRACKERS, 28 April 2010
Alexander Bryce (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
O.K. I am a fan and Tim Gautreaux can do no wrong in my eyes [see my reports on everything he has written ].
I am not however a fan of the short story genre and I only bought this because of my love for the author's work . I was not disappointed . Here we have 23 tales all set in Gautereaux' beloved Louisiana , but all in their own way different although there is a common theme of struggle against hardship and loss with hope for better times ahead running through them.
An engineer in hiding ; blamed for a major train wreck . A failed father , out of tragedy , given another chance . A bunch of red necks forced by the weather to sit idle ; chew the fat during a card game with one tall tale taller that the one before .
All are engaging and so well written that they grab your immediate attention and hold it page after page .
While there are all forms of human drama , there is also much humour to relieve the tension and render this an all round great read and a must for fans of good story telling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep South Stories, 29 April 2010
D. J. "DeeJay" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
A book of twenty three short stories and each one a gem, stories that start with innocent characters from every day life (some maybe not so innocent) that build and develop into wonderful and extraordinary situations in and around the Deep South.
Tim Gautreaux is a great American writer, if you have never come across him before this book is a good introduction to his works

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for the evening news, 26 Jun. 2013
Mr. AC Wright "Bigal" (UK) - See all my reviews
A wonderful book ,evoking great stories of the Lousiana ,Mississipi, states .Humour ,terrible poverty ,crime ,hopelessness and hope are all there ,stories you don't want to end .
I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who loves short stories-an art not everyone can master .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great short stories - very absorbing!, 28 Dec. 2013
The Owler (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
One of the things I like about short stories is the fact they can be read quickly, start to finish, with limited commitment. This book is perfect - a load of short stories set in Louisiana; some funny, some sad, some which end suddenly and all which make you ask yourself 'would I do that?'. There are some real laugh out loud moments in here - the bit where the young lad likens his grandad's biblical story to Conan the Barbarian had me in stitches. I am new to this guy, but will most definately check out his other work. Super!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rewarding read, 23 Jun. 2014
I had never heard of this author until someone whose tastes in books are close to mine recommended this collection. I was far from sure that I would enjoy it, but in fact, the mixture of humanity and humour impressed me very much. I am so glad I decided to step outside of the box and try something a little different.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good variety of stories, 18 Dec. 2013
This is a very illuminating book of stories about rural Louisiana. The characters are funny and quite believable, I would recommend this book if you like oddball short stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 7 Dec. 2010
I am a complete fan of Tim Gautreaux, I have read and enjoyed his three novels but I would have hesitated buying a set of short stories as I am not a fan of the genre. However my son bought me `Waiting for the Evening News' for my birthday and I am just stunned by the beauty and humanity of these stories. The book is a wonderful 'box of delights'. I don't know why I should be surprised. Now my whole family are fans and we are waiting with bated breath (hopefully not too long) for his next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book about people., 2 Aug. 2011
Mrs Pooladam (Gotham England) - See all my reviews
Not read this author before and had seen opposing views on the short story angle.
I thought it would be a good way to introduce myself to his style and did not regret it. Enjoyed all the stories for their earthiness and natural details.I liked the way it was ordinary people who were the centre of attention and not some far fetched hero/heroine.The chapters were ideal to read on my work breaks so would recommend to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simpel but beauttiful writing., 11 Jan. 2012
R. H. K. Pohlmann (The Hague, Holland) - See all my reviews
I am a great fan of Tim Gautreaux. I find the stories of this book inspiring and in some cases they reminded me of Graham Greene. The wrestling with life and faith makes them a wothwile expirience. The cover, the Grasndpa and grandchild is absolutely spot on. This is the America we admire.

Richard H.K. Pohlmann

Waiting for the Evening News: Stories of the Deep South
Waiting for the Evening News: Stories of the Deep South by Tim Gautreaux (Paperback - 18 Mar. 2010)
Usually dispatched within 10 to 14 days