5.0 out of 5 stars Does not put a foot wrong
OK i am a fan of Mr.Gautreaux[ see my reviews of The Missing and The Clearing },so I finally read this his first novel as one already converted to one of the brightest, contemporary, American writers for some time.
Published on 20 Dec 2009 by Alexander Bryce

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Push and Pull
Published on 7 Sep 2009 by Eileen Shaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Does not put a foot wrong, 20 Dec 2009
Alexander Bryce (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Next Step in the Dance (Paperback)
Again set in the sweltering Louisiana swamps of the recent past , it is a page turner there is no doubt, but it does not sacrifice authenticity or vivid descriptive passages to get the story told. And what a story. It's rough and tough; it's tender and sad and there is even a fair bit of humor.
When Collette leaves the small time, everyone knows your business Tiger Island for big time, anonymous L A it is hard to believe the contrast of lifestyle between the two communities in the same country at the same time. She is for me the heroine of the piece. She is clever, brave, resourceful and lets not forget beautiful. Paul is a decent, hard working good guy, if only he didn't love to hit the dance halls and after a few beers anyone who messed with him. This is not a lovey dovey, mamby pamby romance. It is a very believable raw tale of the ups and downs in a hot relationship doomed to fail. Or sure to succeed? The answer is revealed after a tense climax when the friends and family in this backwater little town refuse to give up one their own to the greater forces of the elements. There are many heroes, but none better than Collette.
The signs of future great work are all there. A must read book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book., 5 Dec 1998
By A Customer
While browsing through the new-fiction shelf at my local library, I stumbled across a familiar name...Tim Gautreaux. He was one of my college professors at SLU in Hammond, Louisiana, so I checked out the book and spent two wonderful nights "going home". Having been raised in the most southeastern part of Louisiana, and being the only daughter of a 100% certified cajun man born and raised in southeastern Louisiana, this book paints the picture of cajun Louisiana with glorious highs and lows. The struggle for life, love and self-esteem from the two main characters had me laughing, crying and feeling homesick all at the same time. Well done, Dr. Gautreaux!

4.0 out of 5 stars Small town life in Louisiana, 12 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Next Step in the Dance (Paperback)
Paul and Colette are a young married couple living in a Louisiana backwater, but maybe they married too young?

Working in the small local bank, Colette feels stifled by everything. Paul isn't helping - he can't seem to see much beyond his machines and the local bars. So she serves him separation papers and leaves - off to Los Angeles to see what the big city can offer her.

Shocked into action, Paul follows her. Separately, they find that the city holds both opportunity and money - but that it comes at a price. Separately, both find that they are asked to 'sell their souls' and both refuse - and so back they go, separately, to a small town that has gone downhill since they left, the oil companies having departed, their money disappearing with them. How are they now going to make a living?

It was at this point that I felt that the book began to take off - Colette plumbs the depth of her resources to find ways to bring money in, and so she is out on small boats, catching water rat and catfish. There are more than a few hairy moments, when either her life or Paul's hangs in the balance, and gradually, they begin to grow up, find out what is important in life and find their way back towards each other.

After a slow start, I found myself really enjoying this story, which is as much about small town life in Louisiana as it is about Paul and Colette. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Push and Pull, 7 Sep 2009
Eileen Shaw "Kokoschka's_cat" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Colette Thibodeaux knows what she wants from life. She's fed up of living in a Louisiana backwoods town with a husband who actually likes his job as a low paid machinist in a local factory, and she makes up her mind to go to California, leaving behind elderly parents and a dumb-struck husband. She can hardly believe her eyes when she finds that he's followed her. But Paul's not a dumb as she thinks - behind that rather slow, sleepily handsome exterior, there lurks a heart of gold. Yes, the idiot is actually deeply in love with her.
This well-paced, witty and often adventurously thrilling story is more than just your usual marriage-on-the-rocks package. It zings along on wings of pure action and narrative, full of push and pull, with both sides of the story given their full due. It also chronicles a way of life, with some heart-stopping moments, such as Paul's life being threatened in a particularly horrible way, a shot-gun tournament that Colette wins after catching on to how it has been fixed, and a treacherous storm aboard a fishing boat. The narrative is easier with being becalmed back in Louisiana, and that's where most of the story takes place, after a chastened Colette returns from her bank job, out on her ear because she refuses to sleep with her boss. Doggedly determined, Paul comes home too.
The Next Step is a really good read with a thoroughly satisfying ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!, 12 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This was a wonderful book; I absolutely loved it. Everything was great: the settings, the dialogue, the story, and the characters. I wish the book had gone on longer; Mr. Gautreaux could easily write a sequel with these engaging characters and exotic milieu. The reader from Virginia who gave this novel one star is utterly wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars Before dismissing the reader from VA..., 13 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I thought I was the only one who hated this book, and I suppose I'm glad that I'm not. Anyway, I read this book (or tried anyway) a few months back, and hated it. I hated it for several reasons, but foremost because it seems such a waste. Mr. Gautreaux seems like a fine fellow, a smart guy, a writer of some talent and with something to say. Unfortunately, this ain't the book he's saying anything with. But let's figure out what he is saying. That love and life are like dances? Ah, and my, how those Cajuns love to dance. (Oui, cher!) That everyone needs to grow up? (Oui, cher!) Thanks, Tim for that memo. I've been living in a cave for a number of years and hadn't caught up with those recent developments in the human condition.
There are moments and descriptions that feel right, are very bright in fact, but everything else seems as if it were written by someone who sees the world through the gauzy eyes of a romantic. I don't think that's necessarily bad; it's just not the reality I see when I visit Louisiana or when I think about love. Louisiana to me is a poverty-blighted, backward place rife with crooks, crime and rot. But that's from someone who doesn't romanticize poverty for the sake of assuaging the middle class book buyers' sensibilities and making sure the status quo stays status quo. (And as for love--well, yes, it's like a dance. At times a mosh pit, at others a Cajun waltz. Jeez, that's ALL you have to say about love?)
Which leads me to my next point. This book is very, very commercial. No hard edges. No rough spots. No shaking any cages. All through this book I could feel the clammy hands of Grisham (who endowed the fellowship Gautreaux had to finish this book) and Oprah (whose readers this book seems intended for) wrapped around the smart satire Gautreaux exhibits in other things of his I've read. This is his first real break, I think, and to me I got the impression that he sacrificed accuracy in order to make this a more commercial book. "Make it more romantic," says Oprah. "No cussin', no killin' and by all means, keep us Baptists happy," says Grisham. Mr. Gautreaux's done both, and his book is all the worse for it.
With only four reviews here, I figured I'd leave well enough alone, but I don't want anyone to spend their $12 on a book that's pretty but not pretty good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bayou tapestry, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Next Step in the Dance (Paperback)
A thoroughly entertaining read.Very atmospheric.Great characters who you sympathised with and cared about from beginning to end.One of those books you want to tell you friends about.Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars where there's a will there's a way, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Next Step in the Dance (Paperback)
This book is definitely worth reading - a tale of human endurance - when all seems lost - finding family members lost in the storm, surviving a nasty work accident, when there are no jobs in the deep south of America going out and making your own work, relationships that look like they are unmendable to coming out the other end stronger for hardship and almost lost.
This book will show you that you should never give up.

5.0 out of 5 stars perplexed, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Next Step in the Dance (Paperback)
i am perplexed by the negative reviews for this work, i have read some bad books in my time and this is not one of them.Excellent work once again Mr Gautreaux, i ever never failed to read one of your books from cover to cover. Good characters , good plot and left guessing re the outcome right until the end. Thankyou.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim Gautreaux, 30 April 2010
This review is from: The Next Step in the Dance (Paperback)
I highly recommend Tim Gautreaux' books. I have now read all three of his novels. Unfortunately I started with his latest book The Missing and read the three novels 'backwards' in time. I would say start with the Next Step in the Dance, The Clearing and then The Missing. His characters are complex and very human, I feel as if I walked out I would find those people living next door to me. His sense of place is wonderful, I really feel as if I have had a taste of life in Louisiana. A brilliant writer; I can't wait for his next book!

The Next Step in the Dance
The Next Step in the Dance by Tim Gautreaux (Paperback - 20 Jun 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01