4.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker!
Published on 22 Nov. 2007 by Clive

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not there
This is a contemporary, well written thriller set in Europe, written by an English author. The plot involves terrorists and a few twists, the problem that I had was that I was aware that I was reading a book.
For example I would recommend Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken for a feeling of watching a full color three D movie unfold, or better yet, Martin Cruz Smith's...
Published on 18 Jan. 2011 by Christian A. Tischhauser

4.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker!, 22 Nov. 2007
This review is from: COLD KILL (The 3rd Spider Shepherd Thriller) (Paperback)
The 3rd Spider Shepherd story from Leather and this continues his excellent thriller series. Here we have a Saudi operative leading local cells into terrorist activities whilst at the same time two small time London Asian brothers deal in counterfiet money smuggling, laundering and dealing in fake passports. Spider is undercover as a boat-man to bust this operation until the two plots converge on the EuroStar train. Great action, a good read, and also some morale dilemma's to consider.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cold kill, hot reading, 18 Feb. 2009
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: COLD KILL (The 3rd Spider Shepherd Thriller) (Paperback)
Following a list of other reviewers means one has to find something a little different to say in one's own review. However, I do tend to take the similar view that Stephen Leather's books do get better and better.

He is able to move the action from location to location seamlessly and 'Spider' Shepherd is certainly an all-action hero in this series. The more so in this book is the in-fighting internally in the security forces within the UK and I shall be interested to see where we (he) goes with a new boss. On the basis of this book, not very far.

The action is relentless - or it would be if it weren't for the lengthy discussions with his young son about world affairs and right and wrong. This is all very worthy but it certainly slows down the pace. Nonetheless, his storyline is spot on the mark, his review of religious fanatics and their maniacal devotion to hardline actions would not be cheered on by the Human Rights people but, as long as we have Spider on our side, then there is a chance for the majority to go about their daily lives in safety.

I look forward to his next and fourth outing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Oct. 2007
This review is from: COLD KILL (The 3rd Spider Shepherd Thriller) (Paperback)
From the chilly waters of the North Sea to a speeding Eurostar train heading for the Channel Tunnel with a bomb on board, this book grabs the reader and won't let go. The characters are believable, the action scenes excellently written, and the whole thing hangs together really well.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 29 May 2007
S. Brady (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: COLD KILL (The 3rd Spider Shepherd Thriller) (Paperback)
I loved this book. It's the first Stephen Leather book I've read and will definately read others. My husband, who is not a book reader, also read this and couldn't out it down!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Number three!, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: COLD KILL (The 3rd Spider Shepherd Thriller) (Paperback)
I read a lot of Stephen Leathers books and appreciate the fact that he writes in several different ways.....oriental detectives, sexy oriental tales....even slightly supernatural stories.....good for him I say for experimenting. Some are better than others.
But the Spider Shepherd novels, for me, are the best. I'd read the first two before many years ago but read them again so I could remember the history before reading this, the third. I won't repeat the story re other reviewers....suffice to say it's really good. I like the way morals go out of the window dealing with ruthless criminals or terrorists.....it's a dangerous life out there....not for the faint hearted....and it's a fact that similar people to our hero exist and do what they have to do.
A slow build up....and I agree his problems balancing his son, in laws and life tends to get in the way....but I can see it's a way to show he's human and has domestic problems interfering with his work.....or vice versa?....and I still prefer tales about the younger Spiders exploits in the Special Forces.....but....he has to move on.
A good, escapist read.....I enjoyed it.....what more can I say?

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen Leather, 4 Sept. 2006
M. J. Joynes - See all my reviews
I've been reading Stephen Leather for 9 years and year after year wait with baited breath for his next novel to come out. I think he's one of this country's most talented writers and his past experience as a journalist shows through in both his research and his use of language and prose. I've found all of his books fast-paced, easy to read and very, very well written. If I have one criticism I think that some of his plot-lines are maybe weaker than others - The Fireman, for instance - but it was none the less gripping or enthralling. I get the impression that his books have only recently started getting the exposure they deserve in supermarkets,etc and hopefully in the future he will begin to become as much a household name as Jack Higgins. If you want a damned good thriller writer who with Soft Target managed to predict the London bombings roughly a year before they happened, with topical story-lines and relentless pace, suspense, and gritty realism then I would strongly recommend Stephen Leather's novels. I think he truly is a wonderful, wonderful writer and I hope his success continues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spider Sheppard, 5 Nov. 2012
Another great thriller from Stephen Leather. Could not put the book down, kept me reading from start to finish. Can't wait for the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I really like Dan Shepherd and we watch him make the daily ..., 10 Sept. 2014
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I’ve only recently started back on a bit of a marathon to catch up with the Dan ‘Spider’ Shepherd series and I’m already wondering whether I can squeeze book 4 in next! Spider is currently working an undercover case to try an infiltrate a gang involved in money laundering and people trafficking. What he doesn’t realise is that this part of the case is literally just the beginning.

I really like Dan Shepherd and we watch him make the daily battles between work and his personal life. In addition it seems like there are major changes afoot and his job could well be changing in the near future to this. Add to that a plot that involves terrorism, torture, violence and a whole lot else and you get…well a very elevated heart rate! The more I read the quicker I had to get through it. This particular story just seemed to keep upping the pace and as threats went from suspected to real the tension ratchets up a notch.

In addition to all the drama we see a new character in the form of Charlotte Button, who could well cause a lot of waves in the ongoing books. Having said that it could be the American Richard Yokely that mixes it all up in the next book, who knows? By the time I had finished the book, I HAD to carry on reading to book 4, I mean after all I did buy the Kindle version as a ‘3 book deal’ and it would be rude not to! (FYI the 3 book Kindle deal is an absolute bargain at under £7) I am absolutely enthralled with the Spider series and can see me upsetting people I’ve promised reviews to because I JUST CAN’T WAIT to read the next in the series. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read that builds as it goes, 2 Aug. 2013
The first two books flew through at a pace, where as this one in more of a builder - that said, it is not slow or boring in any way, au contraire, there is much suspense throughout and so again, i definitely recommend this book and will absolutely be reading the next in the series. The text was a little cliche ridden on occasion but that does not overly detract from the general quality of the writing and excellent story telling so I would say definitely go for this one, - you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spider wins out again but at what cost?, 18 July 2013
Maybe it's just me but the way Stephen Leather balances out the battle against Terrorism/Criminals and the trials of trying to maintain a relationship with his son and in laws is what makes the character so appealing. I find myself wanting to slap Shepherd when he repeatedly lets his son down whilst also having empathy for the situations he finds himself in. Yet again another absorbing insight into the true horror of the fight against Islamic outrage.Ready for Spider Shepherd number 4 now!

COLD KILL (The 3rd Spider Shepherd Thriller)
COLD KILL (The 3rd Spider Shepherd Thriller) by Stephen Leather (Paperback - 10 Aug. 2006)