5.0 out of 5 stars Like a fine wine...outstanding

2.0 out of 5 stars Also disappointed
Published on 1 Feb 2006 by London Student

2.0 out of 5 stars Also disappointed, 1 Feb 2006
This review is from: My Spin on Cricket (Hardcover)
I agree with the majority of other reviews on this one - a deeply disappointing read. I've read most of his previous books but this is the only one that had me counting the pages to the end of the chapter. Much of what I read in this I had read before in his other books - if I had the energy it might even turn out to be an exact copy from them. To some extent Benaud's hallowed tones do come through the written word, but there's far too much emphasis on 1950's NSW teams and how great they were - fine if that's what you want to read about but it has nothing to do with a 'Spin on Cricket' which I hoped would be full of the usual interesting angles on contemporary events. 'My Money-spinner on Cricket' would be closer to the mark. If it were anyone but Benaud I'd have given it 1 star, but some sort of loyalty prevented me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rambling nonsense, 27 April 2006
This review is from: My Spin on Cricket (Hardcover)
I consider myself a fan of Richie Benaud and take great pleasure over the years in listening to his marvelous commentaries. However, this book came as quite a shock - it rambling nonsense and worse - plain dull.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: My Spin on Cricket (Hardcover)
Richie Benaud is rightly respected as a great commentator on the game, but this book does not do him justice. It is rambling, repititive and needs a good edit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Some gems but a bit bland, 24 Jan 2006
Caterkiller (Darlington, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Spin on Cricket (Audio CD)
This audiobook suffers from the fact that it was written prior to the 2005 Ashes series which renders it slightly out of date. Benaud concentrates too much on the distant past of cricket, particularly Australian cricket, so anyone who is both English and born after 1950 is unlikely to find these extracts particularly engrossing. Some of the narrative is of the "that was the finest 8 over spell bowled from the pavilion end at Brisbane under cloud that I can recall" type, which makes it seem like Richie is actually at a live match, not reminicing about one played twenty years ago. The saving grace is Richie's voice: he is truly the vocal embodiment of cricket (with the possible exception of Brian Johnson) it's just a shame that what he has to say is so dull.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bowled over, 9 Jun 2007
This review is from: My Spin on Cricket (Hardcover)
A mistake to start my reading of Benaud books with this one. Disjointed and with large chunks of reminiscense of little interest to the "younger" cricket lover. I got the feeling that Benaud could write a good biography of one of his fellow players as he obviously has passion for the game and has been there and done it! This book, however, deserves a place on the shelf in the corridor of uncertainty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a fine wine...outstanding, 21 Sep 2005
This review is from: My Spin on Cricket (Hardcover)
I purchased a copy for myself and a copy for my father who always said to me when I was younger that Richie Benaud is a man who had something valuable to say. All my life Richie Benaud has been there when it comes to watching cricket. His countless pearls of wisdom over the years are without equal and this book contains more than enough to satisfy those who love the game of cricket. The chapter that looks at the Hansie Cronje affair will show that Richie Benaud can approach explosive subjects in a tactful manner but without going over the top. I personally found that whole affair distasteful and even wondered about all cricket matches after it came to the surface for a long time. It is good to know that ones like Richie Benaud have strong views on the matter and that the heart of cricket is solid and beyond reproach. I'm learning more about cricket all the time and with teachers like Richie Benaud helping me with my cricketing education I feel in good hands. If you love your cricket and the history of the game then this book will delight both you and those you bless with its many gems of wonder.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead bat, 21 July 2008
D. S. Lister - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Spin on Cricket (Audio CD)
A dreary non-event. I approached the book expecting riveting anecdotes from an insider and thought-provoking assessment of current cricketing issues. Instead I got - well - nothing. A cynical cash-in on the wave of emotion that accompanied his retirement. After 5 chapters of drivel -Benaud even manages to be dull about Hansie Cronje and chucking - I decided to retire hurt.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Nov 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: My Spin on Cricket (Hardcover)
Whatever your affection for Richie Benaud and his undoubted contribution to cricket as a player and a wise commentator it is difficult not to be disappointed by this book which ultimately left me feeling like the victim of a 'cashing-in' exercise by Richie and his publishers. The book is repetitive, poorly edited and unstructured. There is little new material here and no great insights. Good luck in your retirement Richie but this wasnot a great parting shot!

1.0 out of 5 stars my spin on cricket, 8 Sep 2010
D. peel "pip" (blaw) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Spin on Cricket (Audio CD)
i had the greatest admiration for this man,apart from the time he signed my card without breaking stride or looking at me,but as he's a lot bigger than you think ,i left it.It's tripe ,rehashed.self congratulatory and neither enterrtains nor endears.waste of good trees

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish from an idiot, 15 Oct 2009
A. Mceachern "karl kennedy" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Spin on Cricket (Paperback)
I purchased this book under the impression that this man was an intelligent cricketer/commentator and was left unbelievably disappointed. I recently had the 'pleasure' of meeting this clown and was ignored while asking him to sign my copy, i'm assuming he was embarrased about the quality of the book aswel.
The book contains outdated opinions of a man who simply has no care for the common fan. Would't bother with this rubbish, save it for 'reference of nonsense of a clown at work'.

My Spin on Cricket
My Spin on Cricket by Richie Benaud (Hardcover - 12 Sep 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01