Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

• So Me

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 October 2004
On tv, I thought Graham Norton was just that guy who fronted a hilarious show. After reading this book, there is much much more to this guy than you think. It goes from the light hearted tale of a boy faking illness to have a day off school (and having to go through the appendectomy as a result), to more serious times of being lonely, finding love (both female and male) and the terrifying ordeal of a near fatal stabbing. This is told in such a funny way, you can't help but keep on reading. I'm not a big reader but I manage to read half the book in one night!!
on 10 June 2006
I picked up this book as Graham Norton was someone who I thought I liked but was not quite sure. I was born in the same year as him into a middle class English family and for some reason don't really like people talking about sex in sometimes a crude way but I did think he was quick witted and eloquent and it should be an interesting read. I envied Graham the opportunity to explain and sometimes apologise to people whose paths in his life he had crossed. I have had tears rolling down my face with laughter as I have read some of his embarrasing moments(while I think to myself, how can I possibly relate to that, but I can). There is so much more that I wanted to say about this book and I wish I had made notes as I went along (but that would be a bit sad and worry my husband even more that the sudden bursts of laughter). I now have the dilema of whether or not to give it to my mother to read as I am sure that she would enjoy its style as much as I did but I also know where I got my prudishness from and at 42 she still may tell me off!!!
Norton proves to be a good story teller, not lingering too long on his childhood, but providing all the salient points in an eminently readable fashion, and spending suitable amounts of time on the periods of his life that fans will be most interested in.

He is witty and has a good turn of phrase. He is also not too afraid to turn the light on some of his darker moments and confess to moments where his behaviour has not always been what it should, freely admitting to certain character flaws. This honesty, particularly around his emotional life makes the reader warm to him and gives depth to what could otherwise be considered a reasonably light hearted romp through his life.

His affection and regard for his family comes across well, particularly in the chapter about his father's battle with parkinsons' and the episode where he describes scattering his ashes, and he emerges as a thoroughly likeable human being.
on 23 October 2008
I really loved this book and feel that you can really connect with what Graham is saying. Excellent written, at times rather crude, but all the more funny for it. Sometimes you laugh out load, sometimes you feel sad, but overall you realise what a fantasticly interesting life that Graham has led. Thank you for writing it Graham :)
on 26 October 2004
FROM his up-bringing in rural Ireland to his hit TV shows, Graham Norton tells you how he got there with every gory detail in between, just don't tell his mum!
He opens 'So Me', his first auto-biography, with a request to anyone who knows his mother not to divulge the facts within his book to her, she knows what she needs to know and does not care to know the rest.
As you would expect from Norton the book is very funny, Norton's ability to laugh at himself and see the amusing side of most situations is one of the reasons he has been such a success.
However the parts that stand out in the book are the ones where he doesn't make a joke about it. The death of his friend from Aids is perhaps one of the most touching moments. He does not describe how it had made him feel or even really how it had effected him. He is still so devastated that even over ten years later he still cannot bring himself to talk about it fully.
These parts, unfortunately, are also the places where the book falls down. He does not seem ready to put all his feelings onto paper and is pushing the reader away. He tells them the facts, often honest and frank, but he cannot tell you how it all makes him feel. In a way it is refreshing, but it still leaves you feeling like you've missed something very important.
on 17 September 2004
This is a fantastic book - had me both laughing out loud and shedding a few tears in many places. It's wonderfully written and you can "hear" GN actually "talking" it. Hugely entertaining - I will be buying it for many friends.
on 21 September 2012
A book that certainly took my interest,a guy i've watched for years and found entertaining,naturally i wanted to know more about him.
This book certainly gives you information you probably never knew before,some of that told in a very funny style,but some of it i didn't really need to know,such as sexual conquests.
We all know GRAHAM can be crude and he doesn't shy away from that side here,there are lots of stories about his past that will make you smile or laugh out loud,told in the style you would expect.
He is very much how you'd expect him to be,whilst making it clear he's as human as you or i. Dealing with early fame and wealth as best he could is not shrugged off,he is brutally honest about it.
there are moments in the book where it's quite clear he was struggling to remember interesting things to write about,but he tries,sometimes hitting the bullseye. It's not a pefect book by any means,but it's enough info on his past to please most readers of it,even if some would like more about his childhood,which he really doesn't go into much,perhaps he didn't think it interesting enough.
I enjoyed reading the book very much and if you're reading this review,you are clearly tempted,well it's a great book,so why not?
on 11 June 2006
This is an amazing book. I was given it 2 years ago at Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed every page. It's not a particularly difficult read, but there's something to make you laugh on nearly every single page.

Unlike many books of this type, Graham really has dived incredibly deep into his past; whereas quite a lot of celebrities skim over these early years and concentrate more on the "me, me, me" kind of stuff. A very interesting read that I thoroughly enjoyed.
on 16 January 2015
As a fan of Graham, I was expecting something funny and charming, much like his shows, but I was cackling away from page one. He is a funny, funny man, who lays bare his flaws (and trust me he has some!) but does it so sweetly and knowingly that you can't help but love him.

I think his stories about September 11th are most telling, where he spends the immediate aftermath at Dolly Parton's theme park - completely separated from reality. He's aware of it, but also glorying in the absurdity of his situation. A very enjoyable read.
on 1 January 2015
I love Graham Norton's sense of naughtiness & always find him very entertaining on both TV & radio however he unnecessarily goes into detail about his sexual habits and sex life in this book. We all know he is gay but most of us are really not interested in the personal details. He has a very quick witted use of language and often makes the reader laugh out loud with his use of similes & metaphors. Great book Graham but please tone down the details of your sex life.