5.0 out of 5 stars When I'm 64... Clarke, 22 May 2005
This review is from: 64 Clarke (Paperback)
Ben Snape is a six-year-old boy who has gone missing, his last known movements captured on CCTV. Dash is a dodgy speaker salesman who isn't selling many speakers any more. Max is out of prison for charges of paedophilia which were later dropped. Chick makes his money by making everyone else's life a misery. DI Merle is on holiday and wishing he were anywhere else but.
What connects these seemingly disparate characters? Nothing, it seems.
But as this expertly plotted novel progresses, their wrong-turns, petty crimes and bad ideas draw them closer and closer in a story which keeps the reader guessing right until the end.
The writing itself is sharp, moving deftly between hilarious and heartbreaking, while Holmes shows a keen eye for detail throughout - at times you'll feel like you 're in the van with Dash and his crackhead partner, Lightweight, or reliving Max's prison nightmares.
An engrossing and rewarding read, if nothing else 64 Clarke will make you think twice the next time a van pulls over to ask you for directions...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, gripping London thriller, 6 Mar 2007
P McGoohan (sussex, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 64 Clarke (Paperback)
Well, where do I begin? I mean, this novel has it all. Brilliant characters, superb dialogue, gut-wrenching twists. I would describe it as a thriller that has some comedic moments, but rest assured this is one story that will stay in your memory for a long, long time to come. Andrew Holmes writes (I must admit I don't really know anything about this fella, but I reckon he's ONE TO WATCH) like a cross between Martin Amis and one of the New Urban Breed, but there are several very original ideas in here that I wouldn't have expected Amis to think of. Mainly to do with van drivers and drug addicts. I started reading this book on a Wednesday afternoon and I stayed up all night to finish it, it was that rivetting. The next day, I felt like I was in a film of this book. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars must - read, 19 April 2011
This review is from: 64 Clarke (Paperback)
This book is brilliant. Excellent characters and superbly written. You feel like you know someone in real life just like each character. It is totally real and believeable. His style of writing is excellent too, entertaining, tragic, witty all at the same time.
I went on to read another of his books (criminal records) which was also excellent.
Brilliant story, well written.

64 Clarke
64 Clarke by Andrew Holmes (Paperback - 25 April 2005)
10.94