5.0 out of 5 stars Rivetting
Published on 16 Nov 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Second Hand
Was pleased with this book.Arrived in good time,as it was a present for my wife.The price was good as well.
Published 17 months ago by Portman

5.0 out of 5 stars Rivetting, 16 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Arrival of Fergal Flynn (Paperback)
I picked the book up, just to have a quick look. That was just after lunch: at 8.30pm I put the book down, having read it from start to finish! What a read it was - I really couldn't put it down.From the very beginning of the story, of the young lad not very happy with his life, right through to his self discovery, via many trials and tribulations, joys and sadnesses, I felt drawn into the life portrayed. Having known of Brian through his "other career", singer/songwriter, I was not surprised that he could write this well though.He writes wonderful songs about real emotions, and the book is a real extension of this talent. Long may he continue to keep us entertained with fiction or poetry. An exceptional talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to put down, 14 Nov 2005
"Mr O'Connell, the permanently itchy maths teacher, normally ignored Fergal Flynn in a friendly kind of way, until that particularly hungover Monday morning in 1982". The minute I saw the opening line of this book, I chuckled to myself, settled myself on the sofa with a cuppa and prepared for a pleasant afternoon's reading. What I was not prepared for was the emotional rollercoaster ride which Fergal Flynn would send me on. He engaged my interest from our earliest meeting and continued to inveigle his way into my affections as I followed his, at times, very painful journey from an abusive home life to the discovery by Father Mac of the wonderful voice that would be his salvation.
The Arrival of Fergal Flynn is a book about hope, about triumphing over adversity but, most of all, it is a love story and one that moved me to tears on more than one occasion.

4.0 out of 5 stars He's arrived alright!, 13 Aug 2005
Just because someone is an excellent singer, song writer & performer it doesn't make them an excellent writer and so I was nervous (for BK) when I read this book. However my fears were misplaced as I read the entire book in 1 day and loved every page. It's touching, funny and truthful. I think that the character needed a huge hug because his family were so dysfunctional and unhappy it was hard to bear in places. However the ending is upbeat and so I can't wait for the next instalment later this year. Well done Brian...what an all rounder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Arrival, 3 Nov 2004
This review is from: The Arrival of Fergal Flynn (Paperback)
A lttle bit taken aback by the language and bodily fluid descriptions at the start, I soon found out it was relevant to Fergals story.
And what a story, I laughed, cried got angry and was in tears with him on his voyage of self discovery.
Brian you've written a wee masterpiece and I hope there is a follow up in the pipe line.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books i've ever had the pleasure to read!, 21 April 2008
Mr. M. Trebble (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
They said that the film 'Brokeback Mountain' would appeal to both gay and hetro audiences, well certainly the same could be said for 'The arrival of Fergal Flynn'. Although not obviously a 'gay' themed story,I was captivated from start to finish, the experience of growing up in a catholic environment and living within a 'hard family' during the troubles of Belfast added to the sense of sadness for Fergal Flynn. The stories of each of the main characters were written in wonderful detail and took you back several years from the time when the book was set. The novel had a surprise on almost every page and kept me hooked from start to finish. To end my review, I can truly say that it's one of the best books i've ever had the pleasure of reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Triumph over adversity, 17 Jan 2007
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Set in Belfast in the early 1980s at the time of the troubles, the Arrival of Fergal Flynn is a truly delightful story of triumph over adversity. Fergal Flynn is the troubled and lonely sixteen year old son of Paddy and Angela Flynn. He is the target of bullies at school. His sports mad father and older twin brothers physically abuse him, and he is the constant target of their verbal taunts; they consider him girly, a Nancy boy. His mother swings between abuse and reliance on his support in times of need. He has a crush on a boy at school, and avoids the showers for fear his uncontrollable body member will reveal his inclinations. He not surprisingly has very low self esteem.

Then a new priest arrives, Father Dermot MacManus, gay, a handsome young man of twenty seven years. Fergal first comes to his attention when he hears him harmonizing to an ambulance siren, and when they finally meet Father Mac sees Fergal as the potential soloist in his planned church choir. But a bond soon grows between the two; heighten by Fathers Mac's concern over Fergal's horrendous childhood. The beautiful relationship that follows not only builds Fergal's confidence in himself, helping realise he is in fact a good looking and talented young man, but proves to be the seed that sets Fergal on an undreamed of potential life of success.

This a very heart warming story; Fergal very quickly wins one's affections, and it is hard not to sympathise with the difficulties his relationship with Father Mac create. Fergal is the complete antithesis of his insensitive and brutal father and older twin brothers, and in Father Mac he finds someone who truly cares deeply and unselfishly for him. I found this a captivating and enjoyable tale, and towards the end there was a lump in my throat.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, A Book to Open & Educate minds..., 3 Oct 2004
This review is from: The Arrival of Fergal Flynn (Paperback)
I'd rate this book 10 stars if I could, so let's just pretend that I did. Right so! When I first started reading this book, I was a little bit shocked by the language and explicit content...then, as you read on and you become engrossed in the story and the characters , one starts to realise, this is life that Mr. Kennedy is talking about and it's actually a MASTERPIECE! Excellent reading. It's not a book you will read in one night - it's one you need to absorb, so take it a chapter at a time and get to know Fergal, he's a great oul character.
One that I hope encourages him to write more because he's now expressed another talent that I didn't know he had, and I look forward to reading more "Brian Kennedy Books". Well Done. Hope it wins an award for this singer-songwriter, who has a voice that is very unique and distinctive - now I could honestly say, that Mr. K, has adopted this particular style to his writings and best of luck to him for this is the kind of book that today's society needs to read. It will open people's minds and hopefully encourage tolerance and respect among those who lack it for others from time to time..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Ten Stars.., 23 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Arrival of Fergal Flynn (Paperback)
I'd rate this book 10 stars if I could, so let's just pretend that I did. Right so. When I first started reading this book, I'll pull no punches in saying "I think Mr. Kennedy needs a bar of soap to wash out his mouth", I was shocked by the language and explicit content...then, as you read on and you get into the story and the characters you realise, this is life that Mr. Kennedy is talking about and it's a MASTERPIECE.
One that I hope encourages him to write more because he's now expressed another talent that I didn't know he had, and I look forward to reading more "Brian Kennedy Books". Well Done. Hope it wins an award for you as it's the kind of book that today's society needs to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Captured by Fergal Flynn", 9 Sep 2004
G. S. Merralls "vaulted_angel" (Newburgh, Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
WOW!! What a book!
Arriving home, stone cold sober, in the wee hours of morning after a wedding party I grabbed the debut novel of the fabulous Brian Kennedy, which had just been delivered that day, and got totally engrossed. Hour after hour passed by until I finally had to surrender to sleep. Awaking, in almost the same position I passed out in, novel by my side I continued to read forgetting about the world around me and taking an intimate trip in the world of the dear Fergal Flynn.
Being part of this funny, sexual and at times heartbreaking adventure got emotions within me stirring that have never been touched by a novel before. I physically laughed and cried and was very glad to be reading on my own. The story is told with such a passion that captures you and keeps you turning the pages without a thought to the world outside.
I finished the book that evening (less than 24 hours after starting it - and that's not bad for someone who takes weeks/months to read a book) and felt a sense of loss because it was finished, I had become so attached to Fergal and Father Mac, it was like losing a friend. I have since started it again and am reading it much slower this time so I can spend more time in Fergal's world.
If you haven't got your copy yet, go and get one and take a ride with Fergal on a roller coaster of emotion. Don't miss out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Arrival of Fergal Flynn, 7 July 2006
Margaret (outside Belfast) - See all my reviews
Margaret- outside Belfast

For me this book really captured me from the beginning. It took me on a sightful journey of young Fergal growing up in a dysfunctional family, on the Falls road,during the troubles. Being tortured both at home and school was so 'real' at times it touched the 'core' of my emotions. I found it difficult to put this book down and found myself caught up in Fergal's life all my emotions where on a 'roller coaster' throughout his story. I believe many gay people will identify with Fergal's story and I hope it gives them courage to value themselves, be themsleves and love themselves.It may also give some readers an insight into the genunine love that developed between father Mac and young Fergal, which I believe many gay people share.

I've just been to Belfast to pick up 'Roman Song' and can't wait to continue on Fergal's amazing journey.

Brian is surely multi-talented,and I hope he will continue to be the huge success he has proved to be.

Thanks Brian for a Brilliant! read

The Arrival of Fergal Flynn
The Arrival of Fergal Flynn by Brian Kennedy (Paperback - 1 Sep 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01