5.0 out of 5 stars Candid, funny and a tad nostalgic
Published on 24 May 2007 by G Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Nobbut a Lad: A Yorkshire Childhood
Nobbut a lad, a typical Alan Titchmarsh book, lively and funny spoilt only by the that I had previously read Trowel and Error which in the early chapters included the same events almost word for word.

Published on 6 Jan. 2010 by Mrs. E. Watson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Candid, funny and a tad nostalgic, 24 May 2007
I'd only ever read a couple of Titchmarsh books about gardening and perhaps had him a little bit stereotyped, so I was wary of reading his autobiography. I am so glad I did. The book is a delightfully nostalgic collection of themed recollections starting from when he was just over one year old (he admits some memories may in actual fact be unconsciously constructed from later experiences). He describes life as a child in Ilkley in the 1940s and 50s, evoking many similar memories of my own of that time (though mine originate further north). Particularly poignant is his tale of a 5-hour journey in a steam train to London looking expectantly out of the window in the hope of seeing the famous 'Mallard', the fastest engine of the time (like many boys he was mad about trains). On arrival at London, disappointed not to have seen it he is walking down the platform with his parents only to find his train was actually being pulled by the Mallard. Titchmarsh is very popular for being honest and clean-living. Here we see the roots of the man and gain an insight to the influences that shaped him, including his Mum's 'standards'. His tales of relatives and neighbours are evocative and funny (didn't we all have some like them??), as is his description of Ilkley and the surrounding moors and villages. A great read for those of a certain age whether from Yorkshire or anywhere else.

5.0 out of 5 stars If only there were more..., 13 April 2007
This review is from: Nobbut a Lad (Audio CD)
Alan Titchmarsh is one of those few people that touch others without even knowing it.

This book is extremely well written and being able to listen to Alan reading it, is a true bonus!

His gentle, Yorkshire dialect is soothing and takes me home whenever I listen to him.

The book is both humorous and in parts sad. The relationship between his parents is rare these days, but certainly wasn't back then.

Alan clearly had a wonderful childhood which shaped the boy that became the man.

He is as good a writer as he is gardener and we are lucky to have him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book - Nobbut a Lad by Alan Titchmarsh, 4 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Nobbut A Lad. A Yorkshire Childhood (Paperback)
Because of reading reviews before buying this book, I knew it would be a gentle read and found it very interesting. It was fascinating reading about growing up in the fifties for me as, although eight years older and the other gender, I could relate to much of Alan's life and it brought back memories. In spite of growing up in the South, not Yorkshire as Alan did, our lives had lots of similarities and it has made me want to visit Ilkley to see how much is left of the town featured in his childhood. I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone seeking dose of nostalgia!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, sentimental and nostalgic, 10 Mar. 2012
Dodster (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It was never going to be great literature and I doubt it would have been published had it not have Mr. Titchmarsh's name to it. For all that, it's a good read.
Alan has a easy, very readable style of writing and takes us back to the characters and haunts that shaped his childhood in the Yorkshire dales. Funny, sentimental, nostalgic. Sometimes even haunting, but not all at once! At the end of it, I was left with the impression of a normal, happy childhood and this Titchmarsh fella is a really nice bloke. Which I'm sure he is!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nobbut a Lad: A Yorkshire Childhood, 6 Jan. 2010
Mrs. E. Watson (Ashbourne England) - See all my reviews

Perhaps if this book had been written before Trowel and Error it may not have mattered, however the book has all of the endearing qualities of the writter we know and love as much for his personality as his abilities in so many other areas, a man who has a great zest for life, and ehjoyment of everyday he lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small beginnings, 22 Jan. 2014
Mrs. J. Goldfinch "Jfgoldfinch" (Essex england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nobbut a Lad (Kindle Edition)
So reminiscent of my own growing up. I laughed at Alan's memories of play, struggles at school and the love and discipline of home life. Hard working loving parents, who allowed him to follow his own inclinations, and went further made sure he had the real training he needed to succeed. The closing sentence sums the whole story up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Trowel and Error, 1 Jan. 2010
Brian Jenkin (Swadlincote. Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nobbut A Lad. A Yorkshire Childhood (Paperback)
I enjoyed Trowel and Error, but Nobbut a Lad takes you deeper into Alans childhood. Honestly and well written. Alan Titchmarsh is a man of mant talents and his books makes excellent reading.Trowel and Error

5.0 out of 5 stars Nobbut a Lad: A Yorkshire childhood, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Nobbut A Lad. A Yorkshire Childhood (Paperback)
i love Alan Titchmarsh and his books are so entertaining, just as he is in real life on his tv shows. a story i can relate to coming from Yorkshire too. good buy for anyone interested in autobiographies although this is really only loosely based on his life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Titchmarsh, 8 April 2010
Thomas Page "BaggyGeoff" (wolverhampton W.Mids UK) - See all my reviews
Another good book by an author we both enjoy reading. The stories and the way he relates them are very good. The service received from the seller was also excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real life story, 1 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Nobbut A Lad. A Yorkshire Childhood (Paperback)
Bought as a Xmas gift after getting from local library and reading it myself. It is a very "easy" read and brought back so many childhood memories and gave me lots of smiles - being a "Yokshire lass" myself .

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Nobbut A Lad. A Yorkshire Childhood
Nobbut A Lad. A Yorkshire Childhood by Alan Titchmarsh (Paperback - 12 July 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01