5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read!
As a recent review said, this really is the pinnacle of the series. Unlike that person and many others, I wouldn't quite say it's downhill from here as personally I loved the way the series ended. But then that's another book, another day and another review.

Published on 5 May 2006 by David Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars "And they died there together-o"
Published on 23 Oct 1997

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read!, 5 May 2006
David Wood "dwood2001" (South Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews

Wizard and Glass is mostly set in the past, telling a story of Roland's days before his quest. After the cliff-hanger is resolved, Roland decides it's about time he told them more about the beginnings of his quest and as the day ends, time slows as he's able to tell his whole story in one "night". Once the tale is told they have an interesting confrontation with the Man in Black and then head off again along the beam. What's amazing about this book however is the tale in between. The rest are really book-ends. At the start, the conflict had to be resolved and at the end we had to be brought back onto their quest, back to the present.

Some people criticise spending a whole book in the past, but then, by now don't they care a lot about Roland? I certainly did and I wanted to know more about him. I admit I felt daunted by the prospect of such a long tale, but when it contains the best storytelling in the series that soon fades. This has drama, emotion, character development and an intriguing plot. It's a fully resolved and extremely well-told tale. The ending brought tears to my eyes, and any tale that can do that can't be anything but well-told.

We also get to find out a bit more about Alain and Cuthbert, which is really important in understanding who Roland is. And we get to see Roland, more or less at his best. The plan of three gunslingers being carried out with skill and precision, though not perfectly, for nothing ever goes perfectly.

My own words aren't really adequate to describe how good this book is, so I'll leave it there, just adding that if you're thinking of reading these books then you're in for a treat when you get to the start of Wizard and Glass.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, fascinating and soul touching culmination, 15 Aug 2000
By A Customer
King's foray into magic culminates for now in unrefined, unadulterated beauty. Further along their way to Dark Tower, Roland and his companions encounter their hardest trials and tests so far. King gives us some history here and shows how their all destinies were inexorably linked and rushing towards this time. In a book that far surpasses five stars or anything I can say, King writes with pathos, sorrow, unparalleled style and a palpable love of the characters he has created. You can feel it, because you love them too. Wizard and Glass is the most magical story so far in the story and also the last for now. But its not an end - its only the very beginning. You will not be able to stand the fact that there is as yet no sequel to this, and that there might never be. One thing is for sure though: Roland, Eddie and Suzanne will always be in your memory and your mind just waiting to finish, with their creator, their story. Marvellous.

5.0 out of 5 stars You like/You hate it, 30 Jan 1998
By A Customer
It isn't Faulkner, it isn't Twain, it isn't Tolkien, it isn't Lewis, it isn't L'Amour. It's King. And if there is ONE thing we KNOW about Stephen King, it is that we NEVER know quite what to expect. And so it was with the fourth installment of the Dark Tower series. We just weren't quite sure what to expect. Therefore, we aren't quite sure how to react. I liked this book. It didn't change my way of thinking or my way of life (hence-- no 10). But I found it to be a well crafted story set in a semi-western/sci-fi world. I liked the characters, the action (little though it was, which was fine) but most of all I liked the vividness of the imagery used. Now, that sounds artsy, and I'm not much of an artsy person, but King's use of words in this is amazing. The love story is compellingly romantic without seeming trivial. And then there is the sense of foreboding doom. Inevitably, we know that most of the characters will die (a la the Stand, et al) but that Roland lives and endures much pain. I think some people are wrong when they think this didn't shed any light on the main story (oh, yeah, that whole quest thing). If anything we can realize the importance of this Dark Tower (whatever and wherever it may be). If you dislike love stories and westerns, skip the middle 500 pages. I don't think King will mind. It seems to me that this series is more for him than it is for the reader. I'm right there with him cheering him on, whether he knows it or not. This is an excellent book. If you just want the quest, stick with the first 100 pages and the last 75 pages. That is the minimum requirement. If you do decide to read the middle part, don't just read-- experience it. It is the story that is willing to draw you in and make you a part of it. Be a part of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Detour from the path of the beam!, 19 Aug 2003
By A Customer
If you are a fan of the previous three books then the anticipation for this installment must have been eagarly anticipated. I found this book exceptional, eventhough the journey to the tower does not advance that much (as critics of the book have clearly stated!), the story of Susan and Roland is beatifully told and in addition it expands on chracters mentioned previously, including my personal favorite Cuthbert. The ending is both tragic and quite surprising not to mention moving, i didn't think King could pull off a love story but he proved me wrong in a big way. The good news for Dark tower fans is that the next three installments will be out in fairly quick sucession which will make a change from the gaps between the previous books.

3.0 out of 5 stars "And they died there together-o", 23 Oct 1997
By A Customer
Before this past June, I had never been a big fan of the Dark Tower Series. But, since I am a rabid King fan, I knew I would have to buy Wizard and Glass as soon as it came out, and I figured I should go and give the first three books a chance. As soon as I started I was hooked. I read all three in a week, and I could not wait for Vol. Four. The story was engageing, the characters were great, and in the third book, The Waste Lands, King brought back characters fro his other boks that I had sorely missed in recent years. As soon as I heard that Wizard and Glass was in print, I rushed out and paid the $45.00 cover price without hesitation. I rationed the book out for over a month, knowing full well that it might be a long time before the next Dark Tower book was published. Was it worth the wait? Well, sort of. The beggining and the end of the book were exceptional, espescially Eddies defeat of the psychotic Blaine the Mono, but the bulk of the book, the long center section detailing Rolands adventures in Mejis and his romance with Susan, was sub-standard. It was simply too long. There was too much emphasis on Susan and not enough on Cuthbert and Alain, two character who desperately needed filing out. Of course, some of the flashback story was good, such as the battle with that Big Coffin Hunters, and the understory concerning Sheemie, but on the whole it was too involved. And for what purpose? Why was Roland's affair with Susan so important? I suppose that King would say it shows just how obsessed Roland was with the Tower, even at an early age, but the cynic in me thinks that he (King) was stuck in the trap of writing about Roland's romance because he said he would in the afterword of both The Drawing of the Three and The Waste Lands. In general, Wizard and Glass was a good story, but it broke down in the middle. I, for one, would have rather seen more of Roland and his ka tet's journey towards the tower and less of Rolands flaming youth. On the plus side, we do get to see our old friend Flagg again, the parrallel Topeka was sufficiently creepy to satisfy any fan of The Stand, and the illustration were outstanding. All I have to do now is wait for the next book, and hope the story gets back on track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long, surreal, tragic and, ultimately, inspired., 22 Sep 2002
Ian Tapley "thefragrantwookiee" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The world (should that be 'worlds') of Roland the Gunslinger is a strange place and, as King explains in the afterword, contains all of the characters and places of his other stories on one level of the Tower or another. Therefore be prepared to take a trip into surreality itself and take the path that leads to the Dark Tower.
To begin with the book ends the cliffhanger involving Blaine, the psychotic monorail. It then moves on into a long journey through a pseudo-Kansas where strange 'thinnies' warp space itself. Then, Roland begins the tale of his first adventure as a Gunslinger.
At first the story moves at a slow pace, but you'll find all the Western-esque scene setting and character building to be esential when the the terrible end comes. Soon, however Roland and his young gunslinger friends Cuthbert and Alain have a nasty run in with the Big Coffin Hunters, Jonas, Depape and Reynolds. These three are brilliant anti-gunslingers, posessing all of a gunslinger's skills, but without any loyalty to honour and justice.
Rapidly the sleepy town of Hambry becomes embroiled in the war against the revolutionist John Farson and Roland's friends find themselves beset on all sides...
Finally, with his terrible story told the heroes of 'The Waste Lands' move ever onwards, encountering things plucked from a twisted version of 'The Wizard Of Oz' and revealing more of Roland's oldest enemy, Marten.
King's true skill as a writer lies in his ability to make the ridiculous seem not only feasible, but positively sensible. And there is much in Roland's world that you would scoff at if not for the earnest honesty and attention to detail King writes with.
At times you'll find the book heavy going, at others you won't be able to tear yourself away but come the end you will find that the horror of this story is far greater than that of any other King story because of the deep emotional level that it touches on.
Passion and pain. Love and misery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen Kings Greatest Work, 14 Jun 2002
K. Thornton "kelly_t" (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm not generally a fan of King but i find myself unable to put this series down. I bought the first three some years ago and was delighted when the fourth was released. The story was not dissapointing starting where you were left at the end of book 3 and then going into Rolands past to show what happened to him after his trial of manhood. The book leaves you desperate for the next book and has left me wondering what happened to his old ka-tet of Alain, Cuthbert, Jamie and Sheemie. Can't wait for the next installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read in my life!, 16 Aug 2001
By A Customer
If you want a book with horror, action and romance then this is the book for you! It continues the story of Roland Gilead (aka The Gunslinger)and his ka-tet, but goes back in time to recall the story of his one true love Susan, and the tragic (and horrific) consequences of falling in love. But will they ever reach the Dark Tower?

5.0 out of 5 stars This long-awaited next book in a series was well worth it., 18 Mar 1998
By A Customer
I have long been a fan of Stephen King novels, and especially of his more "fantasy-like" books. I became engrossed in the Dark Tower series long ago and have been waiting patiently for the next book. I had almost given up hope that Mr. King would continue the series, when I happened across "Wizard and Glass". I was browsing in a book store when I saw it. I bought it breathlessly and rushed home to read it. It did not disappoint me. It is a credit to Mr. Kings superb writing skill that I was able to recommence the story without so much as a glance at the previous novels of the series. He makes it so easy that a reader who had never read any of the previous books of the series could easily pick up the story. This novel was a history of the main character and the reason for his quest. It was thoroughly enthralling. The element of romance was somewhat unusual in a Stephen King novel, however, it was perfectly done, and integral to the story. Of course, what King novel would be complete without a certain amount of shocking, horrifying, and just plain gross sub-plots and details. Certainly, this novel has them, and, as usual King fans, it is great. The end of Roland's history lesson will leave you shocked, and I daresay, gaping open-mouthed. I won't spoil it for you. Read this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning King science fiction/horror classic., 1 Mar 2000
By A Customer
Welcome to the search for the Dark Tower. Even if you are not familiar with the three previous books in this series, this is a superb novel which will keep even the most easily distracted reader sellotaped to their seat! Roland, the last of the gunslingers, is on a mission to find the Dark Tower, the place where all worlds are said to meet. On arriving in a Kansas that none of his present group of Jake, Eddie and Susannah, recognises he feels the time has come to reveal to his new ka-tet the story of his old. As you encounter all the ups and downs of the exile of Roland, Alain and Cuthbert, you actually feel part of the ka-tet which has been sent to the small town of Mejis to count any resources which can help the affiliation, should the evil John Farson conquer the east. Although cliched, I could hardly put down this fast-paced, action packed book. The book manages to capture the joy and romance of young love as well as showing the cold hearted killers that are the other side of Roland and his friends considerable personalities. Join Roland, Cuthbert and Alain on the journey of a lifetime as they battle against the prejudice of a small majority of the town and try to halt the so far unstoppable surge of John Farson.

The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass v. 4
The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass v. 4 by Stephen King (Paperback - 1 Oct 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01