5.0 out of 5 stars a modern classic

3.0 out of 5 stars crossing the lines
Published on 7 Sep 2009 by C. M. Lyons

5.0 out of 5 stars a modern classic, 11 Feb 2005
This review is from: Crossing the Lines (Paperback)
Crossing the Lines sees the central character of Joe - perhaps largely modelled on the young Bragg - undergo the rites of passage into adulthood before going to Oxford University. For those who grew up in the 1950s, it is an evocative reminder of those times and what it was to be young. Bragg is an excellent novelist and this trilogy is a significant contribution to contemporary British literature.
My partner and I have loved all the books in the trilogy. Perhaps the highest compliment we can pay is that they are books we hope to read again.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Intelligent Read, 3 Dec 2006
D. Allgood (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crossing the Lines (Paperback)
This is an excellent book. I found this by mistake and haven't read the others in the series but I'm very impressed and will certainly be reading the other two. In fact they are on my Christmas List this year.

For some it may be hard going to start but, if you hang on it will reward.

I just couldn't put it down, whenever I get the chance I read a few pages which went into a chapter then a couple of chapters. I was actually late for work a couple of times because of it.

If you like a well presented book and are interested in our history and social upbringing then this is for you.

I look forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossing the Lines by Melvin Bragg, 20 Aug 2012
Mr. G. M. Ashley (S. Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crossing the Lines (Paperback)
Set in the 1950s it tells a typical tale of the changes that have to be overcome in maturing in the aftermath of a major war.

3.0 out of 5 stars crossing the lines, 7 Sep 2009
C. M. Lyons "tom" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crossing the Lines (Hardcover)
Having read and enjoyed the two earlier books in the series about the life or young Joe Richardson and his progress through post war Britain I was eager to read Crossing the Lines as the story line and the time line to some degree matched my own. However this book did not match up to my expectations. I became increasing distanced from Joe's character. For me he seemed too preoccupied with his own narrow concerns whereas the earlier books seemed to provide a broader sweep of concerns of the time. This book was too focused Joe's personal odyssey. I began to see him too caught up with his own concerns and in the end mainly concerned with 'aping his betters' at Oxford. Having said that those who are not acquainted with the era and interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the impact of the post-war expansion of opportunities for the bright working class children will find this novel an entertaining and instructive read.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 16 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Crossing the Lines (Paperback)
This is the third book in the series and I have found that they have become increasingly dreary. The first was great but I have found myself struggling with this book. I found it very difficult to like the central character and consequently found it a struggle to get to the end.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really struggled and gave up in the end..., 15 Mar 2006
This review is from: Crossing the Lines (Paperback)
I was given this book as a birthday present in January 2004, and only recently tried to read it.
I always try really hard to give a book a fair go, but this book, just no good. I hated the writing style - the author regularly uses very long sentences, with quite disjointed thoughts....
Very slow, tedious, boring. I almost got to page 200, but gave up in the end.
Save your dosh for something a bit more inspiring!
Ingrid

Crossing the Lines
Crossing the Lines by Melvyn Bragg (Paperback - 7 Jun 2004)