Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 October 2005
Sandra Brown is one of my favorite suspense writers. I enjoyed some of her other works such as ` ENVY' and `THE CRUSH' and `HELLO DARKENESS' ranks right up there with some of my favorites. It is a race against time when radio personality Paris Gibbson receives a terrifying phone call from a regular listener who goes by the name of Valentino. Valentino claims that upon Paris' advise his girlfriend is going to break up with him, so he has kidnapped her and plans to kill her in 72 hours leaving the girls death on Paris' conscious. When Paris enlists the help of the Austin police force she meets up with detective Dean Malloy someone who she though she had left in the past when she left her home town of Huston after a tragic accident.
As time winds down Paris and Malloy try desperately to find Valentino, while simultaneously trying to reconcile with their past, before he carries out his threat. This is a fast paced novel that truly kept me guessing until the very end.
on 7 March 2004
Having spent along time reading the lord of the rings, I fancied some easy reading and this fitted the bill perfectly. It has a great story with believeable characters and a convincing plot. I haven't quite finished it yet but i would be suprised if the ending doesn't live up to the first 3/4. Recommended - I'll certainly read another by this author
on 30 June 2004
I read this book on on my way to work, never have I wished that my commute took longer! This is a thoroughly captivating book that keeps you turning pages right up to the end.

I would recommend this book to anyone, this is not a book you will be able to read over a few weeks - after page 1 you are hooked.
on 22 September 2010
Engrossing novel - the suspense was well paced and the plot was excellent. The romance is off the page sizzling and the characters were ok (imperfect people who suffer for betraying a friend- that's the only thing I didn't like- not on - not good).

For Paris Gibson, her popular late-night radio show is both an escape and her one real contact with the outside world.

Since moving to Austin to ease the pain of past, tragic mistakes, she has led a life of virtual solitude, coming alive only when she hosts her show. To her loyal listeners, she is a wise and trusted friend who not only takes their music requests but listens to their problems and occasionally dispenses advice.

Paris's world of isolation is brutally threatened, however, when one listener -- a man who identifies himself only as "Valentino" -- tells her that her on-air advice to the girl he loves has caused her to leave him and that now he intends to exact his revenge. First he plans to kill the girl, whom he has abducted -- which he says he will do in 72 hours -- then he will come after Paris.

Joined by the Austin police department, Paris plunges into a race against time in an effort to find Valentino before he can carry out his threat to kill -- and to kill again. To her dismay, she finds that one of the people she must work with is crime psychologist Dean Malloy, a man with whom she shares a history that had a catastrophic effect on both their lives. His presence arouses old passions, forcing Paris to confront painful memories that she had come to Austin to forget.

As the clock ticks down, and Valentino's threats come closer and closer to becoming a reality, Paris suddenly finds herself forced to deal with a killer who may not be a stranger at all
on 25 June 2012
This is my second book by Sandra Brown and I have loved them both. The pace is relentless and you never know who the perpetrator is, even though you have your suspicions, until the very last. I cannot understand how I have not noticed these books before but, as I have, I am delighted. Yes, at times the story becomes slightly implausible, but as its just a brilliant, fast paced story, i overlook this totally. I highly recommend this book, and this author, to anyone who likes a really good mystery / thriller which keeps you guessing until the very end. Another huge 10/10.
I first discovered Sandra Brown when I read The Chill Factor, which I found riveting. I've read several of her other books since but sadly, none has quite come up to it.

This novel tells of the race against time to rescue a young woman from an unknown man who calls himself Valentino, and threatens (via phone calls to a late night radio show) to kill her in 72 hours. Paris Gibson, the radio presenter, feels responsible, and helps join in the search, coming across Dean, a lover from her past, in the process.

The story moves along well, but somehow failed to grab my attention as some of Brown's others have done. At times it was gripping; at others, it seemed to slow down. I found the writings a little sloppy at times, and felt the novel could have done with a little further editing (and perhaps cutting). The ending, too, was a little disappointing. I was hoping for more surprises. But Brown knows her stuff, and if you want a fast holiday read, this could be for you.
on 27 February 2004
this is the first Sandra Brown book i have read and i am looking forward to reading more if they are as good as this one. A crime/romance story which i could not put down, excellent story and characters.
on 19 January 2013
My first book by Ms Brown certainly will not be my last! I just chose it for the amazon reviews and was not disappointed. Although I thought the beginning a bit graphic and feared I may not have the stomach for this novel the writing completely gripped me and held me in suspense through all the twists and turns until the unexpected twist at the end. Do not, as I did accidentally, look even one page ahead from the one you are on and the plot will keep you on tenterhooks. Loved it!! Highly recommend.
on 19 February 2014
A thriller from start to finish. Kept the reader guessing all the way. Bit of overkill on the sexual descriptions but if you can overlook that it was a great read.
on 22 December 2014
real good read.i found it hard to get into at first buy i can't put the book down now. i have read most of sandra browns book and would recommend them to anyone .