5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read!
Published on 5 Mar 2003 by Colleen Roche

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious and smug
I expected this to be a bit like Angela's Ashes, but I'm afraid I found it quite repetitive after a while, with the main person seeming to spend a lot of time blowing his own trumpet about how clever he was/is. I gave up on it two thirds of the way through, as I found the main person unlikeable and the story unengaging and dull.
Published 15 months ago by Holbert

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read!, 5 Mar 2003
I just got this book a few weeks ago (got an advance copy to review) and finished it in a few days. I could not put it down. All the reviews compare it to Angela's Ashes. Both excellent books, but Mr. Cullen's book shows the optimistic side of growing up in Dublin. Sure, his family was poor and they lived in a couple rooms with four or five kids crammed into a bed, but they worked together to get through whatever life threw them and they always were aware of the fact that there were people worse off than them. It's an inspiring rags-to-riches tale, and there's also a lot of history thrown in, mainly through conversations that the main character has with his grandmother. A great book for anyone into their Irish heritage - you get a real feel for what your ancestors experienced. Mr. Cullen grew up in the Summerhill tenements in Dublin and ended up owning the largest Ford dealership in Ireland and now owns a multimillion dollar auto company. This book truly shows that the old adage is true - you can do whatever you want if you put your mind to it. Buy this book, you will NOT be sorry!!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked Angela's Ashes.........., 8 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: It's a Long Way from Penny Apples (Paperback)
....you will love this. Absolutely the BEST book I have read in years. I would love to meet Bill Cullen and tell him that the thing that will always stick in my mind is his grandmother's advice - "Say nothing until you've heard more". If it was good enough for him, it certainly will be for me. Perhaps, if I live to that maxim, I'll become as successful as he! I couldn't put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Long Way from Angela's Ashes, 12 Sep 2003
Andy Back (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's a Long Way from Penny Apples (Paperback)
Upbeat version of a hard, hard Irish upbringing. Sad in places, brutal even, but with positive, life-affirming, hugely cheering outlook. Life was not easy, but they took it seriously and had a grand time. Laughs, characters, brilliant descriptions, believable dialogue - not a difficult read at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars its along way from penny apples, 13 Jan 2003
annette byrne (Solihull, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
"Its Along Way From Penny Apples", is a MUST for anyone who has an irish heritage. The characters jump off the page and its writer has described 1930's Ireland with humour, excitement and in so much detail that you can picture it so easily in your mind. This book portrays a rags to riches story that should be read by every living person with irish connections. I have bought this book for 3 generations of my family and it is still a topic of conversation for us all. I have been able to understand more about the world in which my mother and father were brought up in and also the struggles of my grandparents. If you want to know about the irish way of life all those years ago or just want to reminise about your past then this book is definately the one to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars so good I bought another, 5 Dec 2005
This review is from: It's a Long Way from Penny Apples (Paperback)
I found this book touching, funny and very easy to read. The author Bill Cullen is, himself, a really funny guy and was the reason I bought the book. He's a bit like the old Irish bloke in the corner of your local pub who has a story for every occassion . I've recommended this book to so many friends and lent it out so many times I've had to buy another to keep it in my library. A must read for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 2 July 2004
This review is from: It's a Long Way from Penny Apples (Paperback)
The most uplifting and motivating business book I've read in years and yet he spends only a tiny fraction of the book focusing on his undoubted business success.
A wonderful celebration of strength through adversity and the power of the Irish mother.
A book that I will buy and buy for years to give as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great inspirational book...., 6 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: It's a Long Way from Penny Apples (Paperback)
I took this book with me on holiday to read over the summer. From the moment I started reading it, I did not put it down until I finished. What a great book it was. Very funny and an inspiration to us all. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious and smug, 6 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 25 July 2009
M. R. Gooch "Ken Gooch" (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's a Long Way from Penny Apples (Paperback)
This is a book that everyone should read; especially non-catholics!

How to survive and prosper in a large family.

Great reading and inspirational

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 7 Sep 2007
This review is from: It's a Long Way from Penny Apples (Paperback)
A very long and detailed autobiography of a uniquely gifted boy who worked his way up from the Dublin slums to being a multi-millionaire businessman through sheer hard work. Bill tells his story well and includes lots of interesting characters and details about life in the post-war Dublin slums that I found fascinating to read about. His story is a really positive and inspirational one that proves hard work and determination can pay off in the end.

ARRAY(0xa5e6eec4)

It's a Long Way from Penny Apples
It's a Long Way from Penny Apples by Bill Cullen (Paperback - 7 July 2003)
8.09